Author Topic: Install USB to play mp3's via OEM audio unit - possible?  (Read 10866 times)

guest5341

Install USB to play mp3's via OEM audio unit - possible?
« on: April 20, 2015, 09:59:13 PM »
Hi there.
Lots of information to be found about installing a 3.5mm jack to the AUX controls on an OEM audio unit (which I'm going to do when I get a chance!) but I can't find any proper details as to how to install a USB socket so that a USB stick's files can be controlled from the unit and the steering wheel controls. Is it possible to do?

Driving a 05 SE Sport

Any info would be great. Cheers.

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
Re: Install USB to play mp3's via OEM audio unit - possible?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 08:17:14 PM »
In theory it should be the same as installing the 3.5mm AUX-in but with a small interface box of some kind to allow the OEM audio unit to talk to the USB stick/ipod.

chrisc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 manual
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 04:57:00 PM »
You can buy USB to audio adaptors very cheaply.  I have a couple lying in my drawer than came with dictaphones, etc.  Look on Amazon
If music be the food of love, play on

Geoffers

• Approved Member
  • Work is the curse of the drinking classes!
  • My Honda: 2016 HR-V SE-Navi Diesel
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 05:25:15 PM »
The OP is trying to install a USB socket though!

I don't think that there is much chance. The head unit probably doesn't have the electronics to handle digital input and power a USB port.
Perhaps look out for a head unit from a later Jazz when the USB port became standard!
Geoff, York, UK.             Now driving an HR-V after 4 Jazzes!

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 08:11:46 PM »
No USB until the Mk2 generation so the head units are not interchangeable. You can get third party USB/ipod kits that allow OEM headu nits with a CD changer control to connect to and control a USB stick, iPod or MP3 player.

guest5341

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 05:37:36 AM »
Interesting comment RichardA. Had a Google and I'm guessing you are meaning small units like this one.....?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Auto-Car-USB-Aux-in-Adapter-Radio-Interface-for-Honda-Accord-Civic-Odyssey-S2000-/281665029028?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item41948b43a4

Do you know if the controls on the steering wheel/OEM CD changer would let me change tracks?

guest5341

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2015, 03:31:37 AM »
Just an update for all of you who might read this in the future.

I bought the item linked in my last post (USB Aux-in adaptor) and it works a treat. The radio was extremely difficult to get out though - very snug into the dash - but once out, I just plugged it into the CD changer port, hid the USB device within the glove compartment and then fitted the radio unit back into the dash.

The device now currently plays a 16GB full USB with the controls on the steering wheel fully working and I can get access to the actual USB by pulling out the glove compartment to update what's on it.

guest5589

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2015, 01:11:57 PM »
Just an update for all of you who might read this in the future.

I bought the item linked in my last post (USB Aux-in adaptor) and it works a treat. The radio was extremely difficult to get out though - very snug into the dash - but once out, I just plugged it into the CD changer port, hid the USB device within the glove compartment and then fitted the radio unit back into the dash.

The device now currently plays a 16GB full USB with the controls on the steering wheel fully working and I can get access to the actual USB by pulling out the glove compartment to update what's on it.

Hey. I am planning to do this myself in my 03 Jazz. Did you remove the three wires at the back before pulling the facia out or did you pull it out with them in place? I found a video on youtube but they removed all three wires (air circulation etc).

guest5341

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2015, 04:40:58 AM »
hi Legend-ary,
I don't remember 3 wires, but all I did was pull the entire radio out with all the wiring at the back still attached. I couldn't entirely get the whole unit away from the car as I didn't want to unplug anything, but I had enough space to plug in the USB adapter and feed the cabling round to the glove compartment.

You say you have an 03 - just check that your radio unit accepts the port. My unit is the later model with the large LCD screen and large volume knob to the right.

guest5589

• Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2015, 10:39:26 AM »
hi Legend-ary,
I don't remember 3 wires, but all I did was pull the entire radio out with all the wiring at the back still attached. I couldn't entirely get the whole unit away from the car as I didn't want to unplug anything, but I had enough space to plug in the USB adapter and feed the cabling round to the glove compartment.

You say you have an 03 - just check that your radio unit accepts the port. My unit is the later model with the large LCD screen and large volume knob to the right.

Thanks for the reply .. yeah mine is the pre-facelift so has older style dash but crucially has the CD player so must have the changer port *fingers crossed*. You say that you didn't remove any wires which is good to hear as I'm not too keen on doing that...
this was the video I was talking about.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=232RoJ8CjmI

Fairly convinced now that I can actually do it! :D will probably buy trim removal tools to make sure I don't damage the facia while pulling it off.

guest5589

• Topic Starter
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2015, 03:19:13 PM »
hi Legend-ary,

I have bought the unit now and just looking for the best place to put the cables through .. is it possible for you to take some photos of where the cables are coming to the front from? how did you put them in glovebox as I cant find any holes to bring them in.

jasonevans

• Approved Member
  • 1 Jazz and 1 Civic Type R - Life is good :-)
  • My Honda: 2017 Jazz 1.3 SE Auto in Orange :-)
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2015, 10:32:08 AM »
An easy cheap solution if you just want to play mp3's/wma's is to get a FM transmitter.( Only cost me £5 )
I've just brought one from Ebay and am quite impressed with it.  Sound quality is good and supports SDcards and USB sticks.  Best thing about this is it's portable so any car with a radio it will work with. ( ie Hire car , cars with cassette decks , classic cars etc as they all have FM radios ) and also you don't have to take the dash apart .

The one I purchased and use is here :  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390959612972?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Only disadvantage of unit is that you only have volume control and you have to use the controls on the device if you want to skip tracks etc.  I just set mine to random and you get a nice selection of music.
Hope this helps. 
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 10:37:33 AM by jasonevans »

Tags:

anything