Author Topic: Rain-X and Auto Wipers  (Read 7517 times)

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
Rain-X and Auto Wipers
« on: April 10, 2015, 11:02:16 AM »
My daughter has changed her car and wants me to apply Rain-X to her windows. If I put it on the windscreen will it effect the operation of the auto wipers.

guest4871

Re: Rain-X and Auto Wipers
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 01:08:35 PM »
Probably it will not the affect the auto wiper sweep BUT............

In my experience when Rain-X wears down, , it makes a terrible mess of the windscreen.

Once it is exhausted and whenever the wipers are sweeping a thin mist appears. I suppose you could forever keep applying it.

It is an absolute devil to remove - if ever.

I, personally, would strongly suggest that you avoid Rain-X (and any similar products) like the plague.

Good clean windows and good clean blades and a good quality screen wash should give excellent results.

csp

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Average 63 mpg
  • My Honda: Platinum White Jazz e:HEV SR 2020
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 03:52:22 PM »
I have used RainX for years especially when I was driving 20000 to 30000 miles a year and not had any problems, as far as I can remember it was fine on the last car which  had  wipers auto wipers.

I think RainX is a bit like Marmite some people some love it and others hate it. I would not be without it, I can often drive with the wipers off and above 50mph the screen stays clear.  The wiper blades tend to last longer when the screen and blades have RainX or equivalent on them.

guest4871

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 05:20:17 PM »
I have used RainX for years especially when I was driving 20000 to 30000 miles a year and not had any problems, as far as I can remember it was fine on the last car which  had  wipers auto wipers.

I think RainX is a bit like Marmite some people some love it and others hate it. I would not be without it, I can often drive with the wipers off and above 50mph the screen stays clear.  The wiper blades tend to last longer when the screen and blades have RainX or equivalent on them.

I would agree it has value at high mileages and higher speeds but pity the poor person who has the car after you who does low speeds and low mileages.

Presumably you apply it regularly?

csp

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Average 63 mpg
  • My Honda: Platinum White Jazz e:HEV SR 2020
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2015, 07:06:53 PM »
I do low mileage now and at slower speeds and still have no problem, I apply RainX regularly but I have not had a problem if it is not renewed, I have never seen any problem if RainX.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2015, 07:27:53 PM »
My experience with Rain-X on a windscreen was not good and that was with new blades. The blades juddered across the screen and left it smeary. I got rid of the Rain-X with methylated spirits and a lot of elbow grease and more new blades.
It is, however, excellent on side windows where the water flows off the glass at quite slow speeds.

Vic.

Garyman

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 ES
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2015, 08:16:08 PM »
I'm with csp on Rain-X
I've used this on my current and previous cars and not experienced any problems that's been highlighted.

It does wear off but I simply reapply when needed and all is good for me.

To be honest, this is the first time I've read negative comments re rain-x so slightly surprised lol

Gary

DrShockr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006 CVT in Bright Blue!
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2015, 08:18:56 AM »
I'm going to have to agree with zzaj here. I've had exactly the same experience where my windscreen is a complete oily mess (on our Prius, not the Jazz), when it rains as I had applied Rain-x approximately 2 years ago. Initially it was great but if you do not top it up it is EXTREMELY difficult to get rid of.

I was under the impression that it would slowly disintegrate and disappear after consecutive car washes but that certainly is not the case. I may have to try the methylated spirit option mentioned above.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2015, 09:32:20 AM »
I've had problems with with smearing when i have used rain-X on front windscreen and rear window with wiper ,  seems to work well on side windows and headlights to keep them clean. 

Best thing about putting it on side windows is that in winter the frost and ice literally fall off and saves a lot of scraping and de-icer spray (like a teflon coating on the windows).   I had particular trouble with a well known brand of screenwash with added rain-X,  it was awful and smeary and I ended up pumping it out of washer bottle as quick as I could.   Works OK on my motorbike helmet visors,  and means kamakasi insects are easy to get off,  never really ride in the rain if I can help it,  but have been caught on a couple of occasions and it worked. 

I would avoid it on screens with wipers as it seems the combination of screewash chemicals and moving wiper blades cause the rain-X to fail very quickly and leave some kind of smeary residue behind.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags:

anything