Author Topic: Grinding noise on hard turn  (Read 28807 times)

guest5315

Re: Grinding noise on hard turn
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2015, 05:07:41 PM »
Thats true about bearings I had a car once where it was so loose you thought the wheel was loose but not a peep out of it lol. I will have a go at listening to the bearing. On the subject of noises with the car in neutral and just jacked on N/S, should there be any noise from the drive shaft particularly at the gearbox end? When I checked the other day I could hear something turning but I don't know if that normal or a problem. Any tips on checking the drive shaft? 

Cheers :)

guest5315

• Topic Starter
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2015, 09:10:10 AM »
I took the car out yesterday and it was grinding from the off, every right hand turn no matter how slight it made the noise. Right I thought lets have it in, so I took it to the garage I use and told them the issue. Well she was a little cow and when they got in it silence! They put it through its paces then up on the ramp, pulled and poked about and found nothing. I drove it home and not a peep out of it, I bet later it starts again lol.

They kinda thought a CV joint by what I described though.

fatlad

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2013 1.4 se
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2015, 11:41:23 PM »
im having EXACTLY the same issue Welshbob on the off side too..

thought that bearing would be noisy all the time not just turning right??

replaced front discs & pads and had cv joint packed with grease and its still there!!

it sounds like metal rubbing on metal as though the wheel is catching some where ie hub but not sure..

going back to garage in morning

grrrr! >:( >:(
'deny everything Baldrick'

guest5315

• Topic Starter
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2015, 08:16:06 AM »
im having EXACTLY the same issue Welshbob on the off side too..

thought that bearing would be noisy all the time not just turning right??

replaced front discs & pads and had cv joint packed with grease and its still there!!

it sounds like metal rubbing on metal as though the wheel is catching some where ie hub but not sure..

going back to garage in morning

grrrr! >:( >:(

I am no expert but I would expect a worn bearing to make a noise all the time and not grind but rumble, when I test drove mine it had a huge rumble which was a bearing gone and it was changed. I think my problem will be on the near side as that side is loaded when turning right, I am no mechanic though so may be wrong lol

Metal on metal is exactly the noise like something fouling the brake disc but nothing is. Does yours do it every time? I find with mine sometimes it is quiet and some times awful. I have a suspicion that its a CV joint, I could have sworn I heard a slight clunk a couple of times when engaging reverse which is an indication of a worn CV joint. Also I think I can hear a faint grinding noise in a straight line now but I would not put money on it lol.

Its really annoying I know and especially when you take it in and it doesn't make a sound so the garage cannot trace it. I dunno how much the sound can be heard outside the car but as you know it sounds bloomin awful inside.

Let me know please what you find out as will I.

fatlad

• Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2015, 12:17:51 PM »
welshbob

the garage fitted o/s/f wheel bearing and so far no noise..

i asked the garage about not hearing the nouse going forward or turning left, and he said that when turning right the bearing is under more strain and that it wears left toright rather than wearing straight..

£100 bill

guest5315

• Topic Starter
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2015, 03:00:20 PM »
Thats very interesting Fatlad, so its the drivers side one. Let me know how it goes and if it stays silent, I will investigate mine.

Cheers  :)

fatlad

• Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2015, 11:09:50 PM »
so far so good...
i haven't been able to give it a proper blast yet
but just tootling too and from work seems OK

guest5315

• Topic Starter
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2015, 08:59:47 AM »
Fingers crossed the new wheel bearing has sorted it. Mine has been quiet this last few days, it goes like that I find.

fatlad

• Approved Member
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2015, 10:52:55 PM »
in my experience it'l be back im afraid & possibly more obvious

hope it doesn't though for you

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2015, 06:01:45 PM »
might be the tin plate behind the disc i had that once on a polo when it warmed up just pushed it back and it was fine i was so pleased lol

guest5315

• Topic Starter
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2015, 01:58:34 PM »
might be the tin plate behind the disc i had that once on a polo when it warmed up just pushed it back and it was fine i was so pleased lol

Alas not :( I thought the same as thats how it sounds but on examination no evidence of rubbing and both sides well clear. I bent them well back while I was there but no change.

fatlad

• Approved Member
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2015, 06:58:26 PM »
my noise came back!!!

took it int local halfords who heard it themselves......

turns out it WAS the plate behind the brakes but the REAR ones despite the noise coming from front.

they tightened up the loose bolts and so far so good....

guest5315

• Topic Starter
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2015, 10:41:09 AM »
Blimey rear ones! that never entered my head lol. Thanks for the info I will be checking mine.

fatlad

• Approved Member
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2015, 04:14:26 PM »
let me know how you get on

guest5341

• Topic Starter
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2015, 12:33:40 AM »
I'm also experienceing a grinding noise when turning hard. Very off and on and only if I'm turning full to the right. Sounds like it's coming from the front driver wheel. In fact it sounds exactly like in the following clip. It's a very tinny, clangy noise, like scrapping a bin lin across the ground. Does the Jazz have a similar plate to the one in the clip and can I just bend it back? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HR8UbHpBfmU

Tags: