Author Topic: Am I mad?  (Read 10161 times)

figgnewtn

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2008 SE
Am I mad?
« on: January 27, 2015, 10:46:39 AM »
My wife has been driving her 08 Jazz for almost a year.  Great car.  Bought from a local small dealer.  Checked it over thoroughly, had paper trail and seemed all fine.  No worries.

Now am I going mad?  I'm about to buy one for myself.

BUT (here's the mad part) - I have not seen it (it's over 60 miles away)!  A 2005 SE Manual.  It has high mileage 160+!  No service history seems to be available and I haven't been able to check it's MOT history either!  Just going on what I've been told over the phone and through text and email.  Current owner is telling me the body is above average (which appears to be true from pictures), it has not been in an accident.  Only has original dealer service stamps up to 51k, and I'm told "it's had everything it's needed" as far as maintenance since then.  MOT for another 3 months.

So what do you think my chances are?

I'm hoping it's not a lemon - even though it's yellow!

emmerdale

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 EX 2013
Re: Am I mad?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 11:30:45 AM »
Hi maybe I'm a coward but I would be very careful ,if it's only 60 miles or so away why chance it,go and have a look ,it's not that far and could save you getting burnt,good luck

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 12:51:48 PM »
The owner claims "body above average" but fails to mention the mechanical bits. That's a bit like writing a reference for somewhere where the strengths are emphasised and the weaknesses not mentioned but the astute reader will realised that the unmentioned might not make good reading.

If I haven't put you off already then read about all the possible headaches that Jazzes of around that age and mileage could bring you so you know what to check for.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 02:46:10 PM »
I tend to think that at that age and mileage, actual condition is more important than documentation.

But I would definitely want to see it and drive it and would endorse what John says about looking for the problems recorded on this forum.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 03:55:14 PM »
The answer to your original question is 'Yes' !

It's only sixty miles away for Pete's sake, go and look at it. Does what you see fit in with what you were told, if it doesn't what else is perhaps of a dubious nature ?

Have you researched the price, what is the reaction to asking for a fresh MoT ?

Trust your six sense, if it tells you to walk away then walk. Remember 'Caveat Emptor' !

Vic.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 04:04:46 PM by VicW »

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 03:59:35 PM »
You are buying privately. NO COME BACK if it's a POC.
None.

Unless you can prove the owner has lied in his description  - and you need a record of phone calls to do that - and to sue him... you have NO legislation protecting you as a buyer.

Certifiable certainly. Unless you are paying under £1,000.

figgnewtn

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2008 SE
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 05:21:54 PM »
OK - a few updates from my first post.

I have now talked at length with current owner.  Interesting history!  Basically in the same family for all but a few early years.  High mileage because of family trips in more recent life, and originally it was leased, then purchased, by first driver for business use.  A real mix of city and motorway use throughout it's life.

MOT history now checked and mostly nothing very exciting.  Hardly any fails or advisories!  (Is that a sign of it being serviced before being tested!)  But no real advance from "it's had everything it's needed" for repairs or maintenance.  Never bothered to save the paperwork!  You should see my stack!  Even for cars I don't own any more!!

And it's well under £1000!  That's what hooked me in the first place.

And it's further away than I thought (I did say over 60 miles)!  127 miles!  Not that easy to pop by for a look!  It'll be the first time I spend so much money to go and look at a car!  £45 train fare - one way!

Please, I was looking for opinions on a high mileage Honda Jazz - not advice on buy cars in general - (why I've had more hot meals than you've had cars!)!!

And before posting I did have a read through the forum.  My wife's Jazz doesn't have any of the mentioned issues - a really good car - hence the attraction (and faith) for me.

I'll try and make one more contact to try the reaction to a fresh MOT.  Good idea that!

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 07:18:01 PM »
High mileage Jazz's are not a problem.
On several posts I have mentioned that my 2011 Jazz Hybrid has now reached 137k, which works out at 3,700 miles a month, it has been great, even when it had its one fault, a duff battery cell it never left me stranded and managed to start with 10v output.
My concern would be that its a Cat C or D, and that its had a repair job and cheap respray, hence the great paintwork. Just a niggling worry but for under a grand, its not that big a deal anyway so long as the repair is of decent quality and not a "cut and shut". I wouldn't take the sellers word for anything. Its not like you know them.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 07:19:47 PM by Ozzie »

guest2662

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 09:36:15 AM »
look at it another way if you buy it and it turns out to be duff you can use it for spares for your wife's car. yes you are mad

Garyman

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 ES
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2015, 09:43:43 AM »
I personally wont touch it

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2015, 11:01:09 AM »
I know I am not a fan of really low mileage cars, but 160K is pushing it a bit too far the other way,  you would need to check noisy wheel bearings, gearbox bearings noise, rear brake pipe corrosion and exhaust system may need replacing. As we all know Honda engines go on for ever, but other bits may not - and in a private sale you have no guarantee or warranty and little or no comeback on the seller .................................
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 11:04:13 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest4871

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2015, 12:29:59 PM »
I personally wont touch it

I'll second that.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2015, 02:16:20 PM »
People usually sell high mileage cars for a reason. People who look after them lovingly often only  sell them usually 'cos they are fed up of bills and know more is to come.

guest5168

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2015, 08:33:10 PM »
it's jazz after all, I got mine with 360,000 km ,bought when it was at 160k km with no service history,been in light crash seems like as well.., think I have spent maybe 100euros on it in the 200k km I have had it excluding the tires/oil changes. Wouldn't really worry about that milage.

guest4512

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2015, 08:15:36 PM »
If it's in decent nick,  I'd go for it if it's being sold for buttons.

High mileage isn't an issue with the Jazz.

Bear in mind the common faults listed in the FAQ,  I think your main issues would be checking discs,  corrosion etc

Tags: