Author Topic: key stuck in ignition  (Read 8482 times)

guest5186

key stuck in ignition
« on: January 03, 2015, 01:15:44 PM »
Hi there

I have a problem where my key is stuck in the ignition. The key starts the car fine and I can drive the car. The key however only goes to position 3, 2 and 1, but does not go to position 0 and therefore I cannot take the key out. There's also a green flashing light in the shape of a key on the dashboard.

I used the car last night and it worked perfectly fine and the key came out. This morning I moved the car in my yard and could not remove the key after. I am unsure why the key would start the car but for some reason the key can't be removed.

I did push the key in and try and force it to turn a bit but I'm a bit weary of using to much force in case of it breaking or damaging it further.

Hoped you guys might be able to help me out! Thanks in advance for any info!

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
Re: key stuck in ignition
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 02:22:18 PM »
Is your car an automatic?

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 05:51:24 PM »
If your car is an automatic the gear lever has to be in position P before you can take the key out.  However I had exactly the same problem in my 2006 Jazz. It was on a very hot day, fortunately I was able to leave the car in a secure area with the key still in the ignition. Once everything had cooled down I was able to take the key out normally. This happened on another couple of occasions, annoying and inconvenient. I mentioned it to my local dealer who quoted over £400 for a new ignition barrel.  I was tempted to put some light oil on the key and work it into the ignition barrel but I changed the car before I got round to it. It was the only problem I had in six years of motoring and 50000 miles.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 06:08:43 PM »
Had same problem on a 6th generation Civic (manual), key was playing up and sometimes would not come out - either used 3-in-1 PTFE oil or GT85 to lube the lock (spray or dribble down the keyhole) and work the key up and down to get it into the pins of the lock and also turn the key.  Seemed like the pins were sticking in the lock and not springing back out of the way to release the key.  Don't use WD40 as it will make matters worse after a short while by drying out and getting sticky. (The 3-in-1 advanced PTFE oil and GT85 both have PTFE (Teflon) in them, which is a fantastic lubricant which doesn't dry out or get sticky).

green flashing key is showing the immobiliser cutting in - when you normally put your key in it should blink once or twice to show it is checking the chip in the key handle and then go off when it is happy the chip matches.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 06:25:10 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags:

anything