Author Topic: chain noise  (Read 5445 times)

dave456

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: jazz 1.4 es 2006 cvt
chain noise
« on: December 13, 2014, 02:34:49 PM »
hi guys i have a Honda   jazz 1.4 54reg 43,500 miles.When it is started from cold it revs 1500 rpm  that's the choke no noise from the cam chain .but when i set  off get to about 2000 rpm the chain rattles.when engine is cold after about 1 mile when warm it is quite .i use 5w/30 oil castrol magnatec ihave had 0w/30 in but no differ-rents anybody  have any ideas dave.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
Re: chain noise
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 03:38:28 PM »
It is probably piston slap, a not unknown happening on the DSI engine and usually nothing to worry if the noise goes away when the engine is warm.

Search on here where it has been discussed before.

Vic.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2014, 04:50:26 PM »
As Vic says,  sounds like piston slap - happens in colder weather,  as it goes away as engine warms up wouldn't worry about it. Happens on a lot since engine makers reduced the length and contact area of piston skirt (the area below the piston rings) and increased the clearance between the piston skirt and bore to reduce friction and get more MPG.   Honda coat the skirt with solid molybdenum Disulphide (same stuff as in Molyslip) to reduce friction.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

dave456

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 08:55:46 AM »
thank you vicw&culzean for your replies.most help full,but i thought Honda Jazz engines and gearboxes were better than that.i read on Google that it is the Japanese models early ones and  civics to i think its time to change to a diff rant manufacture. the Jazz is a good car but it as to many faults .i thought Honda was support to be reliable. dave.     

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 10:29:08 AM »
It's a 10 year old car.. Probably driven 3,000 miles a year and serviced every three years..

Try buying a VW Polo with the TSI engine and discover what timing chain noise is.. http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=95765

guest4324

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 10:31:05 AM »
thank you vicw&culzean for your replies.most help full,but i thought Honda Jazz engines and gearboxes were better than that.i read on Google that it is the Japanese models early ones and  civics to i think its time to change to a diff rant manufacture. the Jazz is a good car but it as to many faults .i thought Honda was support to be reliable. dave.

You can always try using higher octane fuel 98 or 100 ron now and again and not always 95 ron supermarket fuel. The shell v-power 100 is a bit more expensive but in my opinion is very nice for the motor, you will notice a big difference quite soon, once every 2 months or so is enough. You can also put 10w40 oil in, its obviously a little bit thicker but certainly won't do any harm. A good old "Italian tuning" never does any harm either, as long as you do it on a quiet road!   8)

As for reliability, if you do change your car you'll be hard pushed to find a more reliable car than Honda, in the end I would be quite happy with a bit of piston slap because believe me, when you get a car that really isn't reliable it's a nightmare.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 07:50:10 PM »
It's only piston slap - a lot of modern engines suffer from it due to the fact manufacturers have reduced piston skirt as I said in my previous post,  the engine won't fail - unlike some other makers engines - Honda Jazz didn't get top or close to top spot for reliability every year since they started building them in 2002 for nothing.  Non of the Honda engines I have owned has needed any attention even after extended mileages, so don't throw the baby out with the bathwater and sell the Jazz just to pick up another car with many more faults.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

dave456

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2014, 11:23:41 AM »
thank you stupot0041& other guys for your help. i have tried the shell v power fuel and it does make  difference to the car runs a lot better now .so it looks like i shall be keeping my Honda now thank you dave456.

Tags: