Author Topic: Gearbox issues?  (Read 2707 times)

guest5144

Gearbox issues?
« on: December 03, 2014, 05:37:47 PM »
Hi All,

I am new to this forum so apologise if this has already been answered. I own a 04 1.4 Jazz SE Manual, with about 75k miles on the clock and apart from recently having new rear wheel bearing replaced the car has been pretty faultless.

However i have noticed over the past 2-3 weeks that my gearbox (i think) is making some strange noises as i accelerate away in first gear (it continues in 2nd and 3rd but is much harder to hear). It sounds a little like a whirring washing machine noise..  I captured a poor video clip earlier today with the noise fairly audible near the start.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqrA155ol7U&feature=youtu.be

A local garage has inspected the car and can only put the fault down to a gearbox internal bearing? but couldn't pinpoint the exact problem without removal.

Has anyone else experienced this same noise and have any advise? If indeed it is the gearbox then i fear it might be the end of my jazz as i doubt a repair would justify the cost of the car.

Any advise is welcomed..

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Gearbox issues?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 06:01:44 PM »
http://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=97.msg24395#msg24395

plenty of info here - go back to beginning of the thread  shown above
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 06:08:04 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest4078

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 01:20:54 AM »
Bad luck. It is an expensive issue. You could try putting some molyslip gear box additive in as it is early days. Would give you a few months extra use, mine was noisy but worked fine for months.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 06:13:00 PM »
The noise may be annoying,  but my wifes Jazz made the noise for almost 12 months,  gradually getting worse.  When I had the gearbox fixed the garage showed me the bearing and to be honest there was no roughness there,  just a very slight noise if you spun it fast.

One thing is for sure,  bearing won't fail even though it sounds terrible in lower gears, just get noisier until you get fed up with it and have it fixed.  And there should be no noise in 4th and 5th gear when you are cruising.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags: