Author Topic: Looking for my 1st Jazz  (Read 25146 times)

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Looking for my 1st Jazz
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2013, 08:09:41 PM »
Honda VTEC's are probably worlds most reliable high performance engine - they have been making them a long time.  Honda is actually the worlds largest engine maker, anything from lawnmower to aircraft engine.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 08:16:04 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest4380

• Topic Starter
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2013, 08:37:08 PM »
Don't ever worry about revving Honda engines - they thrive on it ( best description of power I ever saw was 'the size of the bang multiplied by the number of bangs per minute') and even if most of the time you chug around at less than 2000 revs to save petrol they still need a nice motorway run every so often to blow the cobwebs out of the CAT and EGR,  put some Redex or injector cleaner in every so often - this is even even more important if you do lots of short journeys.

Cheers Culzean

Would filling up with a more premium petrol every 4th tank have same effect as redex?

guest4380

• Topic Starter
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2013, 08:39:06 PM »
Cheers Ivy.

I didn't know all that!

And yes - maybe I too used to bigger engines.
Will need to take your advice when next test driving a 1.4 ...

guest4380

• Topic Starter
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2013, 08:39:49 PM »
Thks Richard.

Why probs with 16"?

There is (or was) limited choice of brands in the required tyre size.

Cheers Richard.

guest4380

• Topic Starter
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2013, 01:24:15 PM »
I always try to do as much research as possible before i buy a car:

So are the following a concern?

Vosa recalls:

guest4380

• Topic Starter
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2013, 01:28:23 PM »
From HonestJohn?

I thought they were bullet-proof?!!!!
Eeeeek!

Affects Mk2 too! :-(

Really made in China?
How do i check?

guest1521

• Topic Starter
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2013, 02:17:19 PM »
Chan... Much of those stats apply to the GD Jazz (2002-2008). The GE was re-engineered in many respects. Including a totally new engine, though engine longevity and reliability were not a 'problem' for the GD... (Above all, Honda make great engines.)

More than most, Honda tends to stand 'behind' their product for failure of certain components outside of 3-year warranty. For example...  gearbox bearing failure...  they supported owners for up to 7 years/75,000 miles (I think) as long as the car had a full Honda service history. (They may not offer 100% reimbursement but deduct a 'fair' proportion allowing for service life already enjoyed. Jazz owners with direct experience of this will be more knowledgeable about this than me and will no doubt comment.)

You might find these stats from Warranty Direct interesting, if not reassuring. Jazz TOP in UK for reliability/'engineering quality'. http://www.reliabilityindex.com/reliability/search/118. Use their 'drop down menu' to access other car makes...

Also, (international) JD Power has Jazz (badged 'Fit' in some markets) for years near top if not very top in owner satisfaction.

I think I'm correct in these items though others may comment in support/disagreement.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2013, 02:21:50 PM »
Chan,

I think you are over analysing now - too much research. It's a Honda!

guest4324

• Topic Starter
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2013, 03:17:12 PM »
Hi Chan, I am the same as you, I have to research things into the greatest detail before I make the decision but I had a Prelude some years ago which never let me down and my mum has had a GD Jazz for about 7 years which has never let her down. In the worst case if you're not happy you can always sell it again in 6 months without losing too much money.
The final decision for me was the reliability statistics and the amazing practicality combined with great fuel economy and good performance if needed. Generally, if a car has a full service history, mechanically you should be o.k. Build quality will let you down on things like electrics which to the sadness of my wallet I found out when I had a couple of French cars. (Although they've improved a bit recently I think). Both cars window motors broke, one had engine computer problems and on the other the auto gearbox went which really emptied my pocket.
After what I've heard from several friends about electrical problems on their "prestige" German cars I decided to go Japanese again.

guest4380

• Topic Starter
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2013, 04:29:36 PM »
Cheers Fellas!

I just wanted to be sure - and shocked with that article (even if it was about the Mk1 (GD?)).

Is this a Mk1 (GD)? Then

guest4380

• Topic Starter
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2013, 04:35:36 PM »
Got so upset with the HonestJohn article,
got me looking at this (similar money, mpg, tax and insurance)!!!

But,
Its an Audi.
Will it be reliable?
Will it be expensive to maintain?

Never had experience with Honda servicing cost before.
Many article i read saying they are expensive.
Would it be as expensive as Audi?

guest1521

• Topic Starter
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2013, 04:52:56 PM »
Chan... Yep, that Jazz is a GD.

GE from... certainly 2009. The exteriors differ though carry a design similarity while the interiors are quite different. Both models have their supporters and detractors for how they 'look' and for the style and quality of the interior.

Both have very much the same accommodation (2x6'adults comfortably in rear, no probs) and cargo capacity... magic seats and 'drop flat' seats for flat load area. Although the GE seats are easier to 'drop' as you don't have to remove the rear headrests first. Just press a button and drop one side, then the other. Pretty neat!

I think many prefer the GE with its i-VTEC for the motorway, while the GD i-DSi engine is possibly a nicer drive round town because it has slightly different torque/pulling character at low revs. While owning a GE, I've driven both and would agree.

GD suspension was improved after 2003 for a better ride. GE's was (reportedly) improved again though I'd be among the first to say that Honda should work further on the suspension to soften shock absorption and improve B-road handling.

Slickest manual gearchange (you might ever experience) and light clutch. GE possibly even a tad better.

Both models are camchain, so no cambelt change intervals to think about!   

guest1521

• Topic Starter
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2013, 04:59:54 PM »

guest4380

• Topic Starter
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2013, 05:12:09 PM »
Thanks Ivy!

I am certainly in the GE camp!

And with 2 small children growing up,
Might struggle with the rear space of the A1.

That Whatcar link seems to be all positives for the Audi :-)

guest1521

• Topic Starter
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2013, 05:56:19 PM »
Chan... Taken from that WhatCar link...
AUDI A1: "According to our latest reliability survey with Warranty Direct, Audis don't always live up to their prestige image, so we can only hope that the A1 will perform better than the older models."

AUDI A1: ..."the rear seats are best for children due to the dramatically sloping roofline. The rear seatbacks are almost vertical, so may be uncomfortable on long journeys."

HONDA JAZZ: "However, the Jazz has finished top of the supermini class in our JD Power customer satisfaction survey for the past nine years, so it should prove very reliable."

The WhatCar article does praise the Honda's 'space and versatility of a much bigger car' but omits to specifically mention the versatility of the unique Magic Seats and its truly astonishing rear seat space for passengers... given the size of the car. Great view out for rear seat passengers, too.

I was in the back seat of a Volvo S80 the other day... yes, being an 'executive' car it had better noise suppression, ride and seat comfort than the 'economy' Honda... but the little Honda's back seat is easy for entry/exit, has good leg and headroom and is acceptably comfortable. Though more noise than I'd really like. At 6'1" tall I've sat 'behind myself' in the Jazz with my 6'3" son driving... comfortably for 3 hours. In the Jazz, not a hint of that claustrophobic feeling you so often get in cars' back seats... such as the back seat of the 'executive' Volvo S80 I travelled in.

Anyway, you'll have your own reasons for choosing and best of luck either way, Chan.

Tags: