Author Topic: Top up antifreeze  (Read 12897 times)

EXT

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.3 i-vtec 2012 GE6
Top up antifreeze
« on: August 01, 2013, 11:12:31 AM »
today i was just monitoring the battery as i looked to reservoir of radiator, it was on MIN level :o i opened the radiator cap while engin was cold. the coolent there were full. so can i just go pick up one bottle of antifreeze from honda and top it up to max?   i know it must be the same colour.... though.

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
Re: Top up antifreeze
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 01:12:16 PM »
Yes you can get the honda stuff or use the universal stuff that has recently appeared.

EXT

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 01:45:13 PM »
or is better to just flush the old completely and use new one??? as i dont think the previous owner did that.

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 03:00:38 PM »
According to honda the coolant is good for 10 years then changed every 5 years.

There probably is a mileage condition but I cant remember off the top of my head.

This relates to the honda stuff other coolants vary on change requirements.

guest2662

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 03:38:28 PM »
mine has a label on the bonnet it tells you when to change the antifreeze and how long it lasts.

EXT

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 04:07:46 PM »
i asked this because as i saw the level to MIN. i dont know why is at MIN. if i can just add little to it max until i take it in for new one.yes according to honda is 10 years. my jazz is in 8th year.   

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2013, 08:58:39 PM »
don't worry about it being at min level, it is only the overflow and will get more in as the engine heats up.

any car after 1998 will use OAT (organic acid technology) or the universal stuff is HOAT (hybrid organic acid technology).  - this is just the anti-corrosion part of it,  the base is still glycol.  Don't use oat or hoat in cars with soldered radiators or the acid will dissolve the solder, so it can't be used in classic cars.

the colour doesn't mean much it is only there in case it leaks to make the leak show up better, both Glycol (and alcohol) and corrosion inhibitors are clear so they have to add colour.   Strangely enough if you add too much anti-freeze it actually freezes quicker,  between 50 and 60% gives best protection, above and below that figure and freezing point is higher.  The Glycol bit that stops it freezing doesn't wear out, it is only the corrosion inhibitors that get used up (a bit like engine oil really. the oil doesn't wear out it is just the acid buffering chemicals that get used up).

if you mix Halfords (orange) advanced anti-freeze with existing Honda (green) unless you flush it out fully you will get a sort of brownish colour,  I did a full flush on a system years ago and it took weeks to get the air bubbles out (the heater didn't work properly for ages), so now I just drain out what's gonna come out on its own into a measuring jug, (normally about half - 2 litres comes out unaided) and then make sure that
amount of premixed goes back in (with 50% distilled water  -  NOT DE-IONISED water which will scavenge the ions back from the metal in your cooling system) - then I do it again a second time after it has been in for about a week,  and you may have to top up during that week - call me lazy but i have never had a problem.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

EXT

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2013, 04:07:46 AM »
i think i have to wait up to 10 years.untill then decide what to do.thanks culzean

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2013, 12:26:12 PM »
I also noticed that my engine coolant was low, at the minimum level, so bought a litre of coolant to top it up, 2 days later the level was back at minimum, as the fluid I had added had been dumped so I haven't added anymore since, and the level still appears low, but it is still at the same level.

EXT

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2013, 02:46:22 PM »
i think i have to wait up to 10 years.untill then decide what to do.thanks culzean
did you check for any leaks? because if you added more then it not spouse to stay at min level  :o

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2013, 07:24:33 PM »
I also noticed that my engine coolant was low, at the minimum level, so bought a litre of coolant to top it up, 2 days later the level was back at minimum, as the fluid I had added had been dumped so I haven't added anymore since, and the level still appears low, but it is still at the same level.

when you say minimum level do you mean on plastic expansion tank, the engine will dump any excess into this as it heats up and suck it back up when it cools down.  It wont help if you have any air bubbles in the engine as these expand rapidly when engine heats up and push coolant into tank, and then when they contract as the engine cools they will suck coolant back in.   The level you can see when you take the radiator cap  off is important, if that is not full to the top then top that bit up first when engine is cold.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest4179

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2013, 07:03:37 PM »

It wont help if you have any air bubbles in the engine as these expand rapidly when engine heats up and push coolant into tank, and then when they contract as the engine cools they will suck coolant back in.   The level you can see when you take the radiator cap  off is important, if that is not full to the top then top that bit up first when engine is cold.

How does one get rid of the air bubbles.?
I took off the radiator cap and then topped up with antifreeze.
I then squeezed the bottom radiator hose a few times.
Air escaped and then I refilled. After a about two hours the level had fallen and I repeated the process.

Checked for stains on the floor and also checked the oil level in the sump. No contamination..
Is there a way to bleed the cooling system?

Tags: