Author Topic: Jazz 1.4 se won't start  (Read 8735 times)

guest4106

Jazz 1.4 se won't start
« on: June 16, 2013, 11:06:56 AM »
Hi all, I have had this jazz for a couple of years, it's a 2008 model and until now it has been a great car. Travelling back from Manchester, after a long drive the engine management light came on and the car slowed down and restricted to 50 mph. Within 10 minutes or so it completely cut out and stalled, the AA were called out to investigate further. To cut a long story short he replaced the number 2, 15amp fuse under the steering, as he turned the key it sounded like only 3 of the 4 cylinders were firing then the fuse blew again, this was tried several times but no joy. Does any one here know what this problem is caused by and how to rectify it? The AA technician did say that it may be the coils but I don't know where they are or how many there are or if they are the problem so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Ack

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
Re: Jazz 1.4 se won't start
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 01:19:57 PM »
If it is the coils there are 8 in total 4 in the front and 4 in the back of the engine.

Fairly easy to replace.

guest4106

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 01:34:46 PM »
Thanks for the reply JazzyB, is there a way to find out which coil it could be?

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 01:49:02 PM »
Ordinarily, it would be possible to check the ignition coil resistances, but Honda do not publish resistance specifications.

Note that the four front coils and the rear coils appear to be identical, but they cannot be interchanged front to rear or vice versa.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 05:59:10 PM »
Ordinarily, it would be possible to check the ignition coil resistances, but Honda do not publish resistance specifications.

Note that the four front coils and the rear coils appear to be identical, but they cannot be interchanged front to rear or vice versa.

Start with the front coils and measure the resistance of each. Any one that is much lower (or higher) is likely to be the culprit. Mark it with a dab of paint..

Then test the rear ones after putting  the front ones back ..to avoid mixing them up. A good multimeter is under £10...

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 07:40:26 PM »
sounds like  short circuit coil - if so the resistance should really be low
(less than an ohm)

if you do not have a multimeter ----

it probably is only one coil of a pair that will be faulty -so  try replacing
 the fuse and unplugging all front coils (car should still start if its
going to, but may not run well).

if it blows fuse again it must be a rear coil that is faulty as these are the only ones
connected, , so plug in all front and unplug all rear coils, plug rear coils in one at a
time till fuse blows.

if it does not blow a fuse it is a faulty front coil (as these are disconnected), so plug
front coils  in one at a time until fuse blows.

the last one you plug in before fuse blows is the culprit.

Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest4106

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 06:02:57 PM »
Well I got an electrician to look at the car, the coils started to get warm and then started to smoke. He replaced 6 coils all in all and found that the ECU was at fault and repaired. All was fine he drove it around for 50 odd miles and all seems to be alright. I picked the car up today and found the same thing is happening again whereby the coil number one is getting warm and smoking. Any ideas what could be causing this problem. Also the catalytic converter died I presume due to the miss firing of the engine.
Help needed at the end of my tether.

DV

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: [/URL]
  • My Honda: 2013 Honda Jazz EX CVT
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 07:35:14 PM »
Have you ever had the spark plugs changed?
If the gap is bigger than it should be (1.1mm) it`ll put more strain onto the coils. Did anyone had a look of the state of the plugs recently?

Ignition coil troubleshooting, for a GD Jazz, link.

guest4106

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 10:54:46 AM »
Yes mate the spark plugs were ( all 8 of them) replaced a month a so ago, they haven't been checked in the manner you describe but I will ask the mechanic to follow your diagnostics
Thanks

Tags: