Author Topic: Inexpensive OBD-II reader that works  (Read 3307 times)

chrisc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 manual
Inexpensive OBD-II reader that works
« on: April 17, 2013, 08:14:41 AM »

Got this device last week.  $11 + $6 postage from Hong Kong (off eBay)

It communicates via Bluetooth to your laptop.  It came with a CD with diagnostics for most Asian cars.  Have tried it on a Jazz and also two Hyundai cars.  Gives more easily readable information that an OBD reader that has its own screen, plus you can open multiple windows and save the data.  Upon plugging in, it takes about 90 seconds to pair and communicate with the computer.  Thereafter readings are almost instantaneous.

My neighbour did not have a bluetooth receiver built into his computer and I found one (for £3) from our local Mr Cheap Chinese shop
If music be the food of love, play on

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
Re: Inexpensive OBD-II reader that works
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 10:31:50 AM »
UK E-bay have similar units all for under £10.00 delivered , nice to have confirmation they work

Garyman

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 ES
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 11:53:09 AM »
I want one that can communicate with the iPhone but those are much more expensive at around £100!

Think its only the Kiwi PLX that works.

Android phones works with the above modules so guess I could get a cheap phone and use that instead lol

Jazz Hands

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2010 1.4 Si
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 08:17:01 PM »
bought one from amazon a few weeks ago for 8 quid, dowloaded android app Torque and it works fine in a BMW mini and a BMW 1 series so far, not tried it in the Jazz yet

DrShockr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006 CVT in Bright Blue!
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 08:53:41 PM »
I am happy to report that I have the same bluetooth OBD-II reader which I bought about 2 years ago and has saved me £108 from the Honda dealer so far!

My Jazz (CVT) used to jerk on high acceleration -it stalled on an A road and the engine management light came on, car would not restart. Luckily Honda dealer was close by and I managed to drive it there once it eventually switched back on. I was told I would have to pay £90+VAT just so they could 'diagnose' the problem. Were they having a laugh? Not on my watch!  :P

I read the trouble code using the torque app and the problem was 'crankshaft sensor' which I had replaced for much much less than quoted by Honda at an independant garage - car has been right as rain since.

chrisc

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 manual
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 09:17:11 AM »
Just been to fix my friend's 2001 VW Jetta which had a loose/dodgy pipe from the air-filter to the load sensor causing irregular idling.  The OBD program suggested 2 separate causes, the first was right.  Got the whole job done in 30 mins, incl a cup of tea

A VW agent would want a tidy sum to do this I am sure
If music be the food of love, play on

Tags:

anything