Author Topic: waxoyl  (Read 5981 times)

guest3884

waxoyl
« on: February 27, 2013, 09:09:54 PM »
Hi all this is my first post do any members waxoyl the under side of there jazz ???

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
Re: waxoyl
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 09:21:08 PM »
ive not used waxoyl for over 25 years on the underside of cars but i still have a spray can for use on rust and stiff bolts etc

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 01:24:04 PM »
Dintrol is better.  I use it on brake pipe unions...and suspension/steering nuts.
Waxoyl washes off too easily.

guest2928

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 09:51:47 PM »
I used waxoyl on my jazz, before winter, late last year. Primarily, it was to coat my tow bar and surrounding metalwork - just for a bit of extra security; given how heavily they salt the roads near me.

I think the underside of the jazz is remarkably well made anyway and there really is no need to fully waxoyl the lot. The lack of rusting in original 2002 models is a great example of this. I suppose no harm to add an application of waxoyl, so long as you make sure the material is scrupulously clean.

guest1232

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 02:09:22 PM »
All modern cars are coated with a very tough flexible resin on the underside these days, the only time you would need to use an aftermarket sealant is if you have drilled holes for a towbar or driven over something that may have scraped the original resin off.

If you have ever tried to remove this resin you will know what I mean, the stuff Honda use would need a blow torch to melt it off, then you would need to really scrape it in it's melted state.

chrisc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 manual
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 04:07:09 PM »
Applying waxoyl or similar makes you feel you have done something worthwhile, like doing a hard disc cleanup on your PC, so why not continue?  If it makes the car corrode just that little bit later, so much the better
If music be the food of love, play on

guest869

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 09:26:21 PM »
I sparayed the underside of my Jazz with the black waxoyl as there was signs of corrosion on some of the seams and brake pipes.

I also injected inside the cavities with the clear.

I should really do it again this summer.

D3DSL

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 57 Jazz SE + 11 Jazz ES CVT :)
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2013, 06:08:53 PM »
Also looking at waxoyling the underside of the car as it's getting pretty bad surface rust under the rear.  Rubbish phone pics but gives an idea of what it's like:

Is this level of rust on the underside normal?

guest4078

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2013, 07:14:31 PM »
My 2005 is looking a bit like yours underneath, fairly superficial at present. It has done 95k miles in Scotland so probably run through a lot of grit and salt during winters. I will be treating it before this winter.

D3DSL

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 57 Jazz SE + 11 Jazz ES CVT :)
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2013, 08:30:27 PM »
Same here, used through a good few Highland winters and loads of salt.  It was routinely out in several inches of snow and the slush so will have been well coated in the stuff.  :(

guest869

• Topic Starter
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2013, 09:40:51 PM »
I spray my underside with Waxoyl (or similar) every couple of years. There is rust starting on the seams at the rear.

I also coat the brake pipes and unions.

John

Tags: