Author Topic: gone over to the dark side  (Read 5064 times)

culzean

• Approved Member
gone over to the dark side
« on: November 25, 2012, 09:32:47 AM »
I have finally succumbed to the lure of the Civic and traded the trusty Jazz in for a 1.8VTEC in September  (the newest 'old' style one I could find before the 'ugly' model year 2012 came on to the market) .  My wife still has a Jazz though so will keep interest with this forum.

Things that are better about the Civic -

handles like it is on rails - turn-in is awesome

a lot more planted on the road generally, doesn't get blown around anywhere near as much as jazz

a bit less road and wind noise

awesome sound system

1.8 VTEC revs to 7K (very musical it is too ), 140BHP  :D I can overtake with a lot more confidence and less advance planning

dash display is something else  :o- easier to see speedo' etc.

6 speed gearbox, - but rarely use 5th, normally straight from 4th to 6th (see comment below about
position of reverse gear on wifes' Jazz)

Things that are not so good

it is much harder to park (it is the only car I have driven where I have no idea where back of car is
- and this is common amongst other 2006 - 2011 Civic drivers I talk to) - I have had to fit parking sensors.

fuel consumption - I am getting about 5 to 6 mpg less on daily commute (indicated 47 mpg)
which is still good for this size of car

when I drive my wifes' Jazz I keep looking for 6th gear (same place as reverse on the Jazz - ouch)

I hate the 'climate control' - controls much too fiddly - while the quick-clear setting is good for misted windscreen, I would rather have  simple (separate) fan speed and heat setting knobs .  temperature
seems to vary too much when 'full auto ' not selected, but with 'full auto' selected the air blows from the vents it feels like at the time, and when you start the car you normally get a misted screen from condensate in aircon system.

In general the VTEC is much softer than the previous Civics I had, it is more tuned to economy rather
than power (which is a good job).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

DV

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: [/URL]
  • My Honda: 2013 Honda Jazz EX CVT
Re: gone over to the dark side
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 10:47:44 AM »
Have you tried to turn off the aircon about 1 minute before you stop the car and let the fan running to dry out the radiator?
If you do that, the next time you turn on the aircon it should not mist the screen.

culzean

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 12:00:01 PM »
It's not just the misting up of screen on startup ( i did used to turn aircon off off on previous cars before getting to destination to solve that problem)- I find that the 'auto' (climate control) setting makes the air in the car far too dry for my liking and dries my nose / sinuses out , even in colder weather where you would think the aircon should never switch on you can still hear it cycling on and off (maybe to dry the air coming into car rather than cooling it) .  Moving from full 'auto' to manual (but not really manual, as the system will still try to maintain the set temperature on display  ) involves turning the aircon off and relying on a dial to set the temperature (which the system does not maintain too well as incoming air temp keeps jumping between hotter or colder). 

I do not like automation in cars at best of times so would never get a car with auto wipers, headlights etc.  and I never had a problem keeping the temperature at a level I liked with simple fan speed and heat knobs, and with a simple knob to tell the system which vents I wanted it to use.  I just do not like the system deciding when to turn aircon on and off and deciding itself whether to use high fan speed and blast air out of centre dash vents, and then suddenly turning the fan down really low and switching to screen and floor / side vents. 

IMHO the system is just too fiddly and distracting to mess around with on the move.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 06:55:52 PM »
Good choice of model - I too dont appreciate all the latest gizzmo's

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 07:39:33 PM »
I hope you enjoy your Civic.

I recommend you head over to civinfo.com but of course you will always be welcome here. :)

culzean

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 09:57:44 PM »
Thanks Richard,  I have been a member of Civinfo since I changed to civic - I will still keep turning up on  clubjazz site from time to time. - you run a great website here

guest1521

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 08:46:48 AM »
Culzean - thought you'd gone quiet for some reason. Missed your informative posts. Enjoy your Civic!

guest2898

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 11:14:46 PM »
Enjoy! i had the pleasure of using my father in laws 2.2 CDTI (2009) before he died recently.. it was a flying machine!! good drive, but still harsher on the suspension than my previous civics over the potholes.... apart from that, i loved it.

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2012, 05:49:17 PM »
The CDTi is known to have DPF/DMF issues? These are of course common problems on many diesels.

Tags:

anything