Author Topic: Fuel gauge reading full!  (Read 6484 times)

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
Fuel gauge reading full!
« on: August 19, 2008, 09:08:39 PM »
I have a 07 model with about 6000 miles and last filled the tank with fuel on the 11 august completely full. I done the same journeys no more and no less and have done about 70 miles, but the fuel gauge is still reading full?

I know the Jazz is good on fuel but not that good

Luckly its still under warranty so I am going to the dealer soon and see what they say.

In the mean time anyone else had this problem?

JazzandJag

• Approved Member
  • HR-V eHEV delivered February 2022
Re: Fuel gauge reading full!
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 06:51:14 AM »
Not really a problem - on both my cars the gauge will stay on "Full" for quite some distance before starting to drop so this is not just a Jazz phenomenon.

What I have found with the Jazz is that sometimes you can get more fuel in to fill the tank than others. I dont know whether this is due to air-locking or some forecourt pumps shutting off earlier than others, but this can lead to the mpg calculated from each tankful varying widely (eg 63mpg followed by 43mpg recently)  for similar typres of driving, but the overall average over a few tankfulls always seems to be around 50 to 51 mpg. Has anyone else noticed this?

Regards

Nigel

guest229

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 07:30:29 AM »
  Mine does the same but the "fill up"discrepancies not quite as pronounced. My farther always said the only time car petrol gauges read accurately is on the "E" mark and by that time it's to bl--dy late ----you're stranded.

JazzandJag

• Approved Member
  • HR-V eHEV delivered February 2022
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 08:41:17 AM »
 the only time car petrol gauges read accurately is on the "E" mark and by that time it's to bl--dy late ----you're stranded.

I remember with one car I owned (brand new1980 Vauxhall Chevette) even this was not true - it ran out of petrol with the gauge reading 1/4 full!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 09:58:56 AM »
There is a long pipe to the fuel tank in the Jazz (tank is under front seats), this holds quite an amount of fuel - that is part of the reason for gauge staying on 'full' for a while, also when needle is on 'empty' and light comes on there is still about 6 to 7 litres in the tank, this is another reason why second half of tank 'seems' to go more quickly.

Having said that, every car that I have owned and driven seems to have a similar problem.

Driving my 1.4SE Jazz reasonably carefully, 50 miles round trip commute a day, mixed main road and town I get about 62 to 63 mpg on the readout, which equates to about 56 to 57mpg actual (measured by fuel used and miles), if I drive 'normally' I get about 53 to 54mpg indicated.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

JazzyB

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 10:19:29 AM »
Just to keep you updated

Ive now done about 160 miles and the fuel gauge now reads 3/4 full

Im waitin for the gauge to read half and then fill up so I can see if the gauge is faulty or not.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 10:17:07 AM »
Joe, Try releasing the filler cap - take care there may be a build up of air.
then recheck the gauge reading
Good Luck

JazzyB

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 01:08:10 PM »
Great news!!!!

The fuel gauge is ok

I just filled with the needle showing half a tank and all I could get in was half a tank

Also that half tank gave me 49mpg, the best I have ever had!!

Tags: