Author Topic: Hosepipe ban  (Read 7522 times)

guest2765

Hosepipe ban
« on: April 06, 2012, 02:20:50 PM »
bucket and water time for you lot? :P or time to invest in waterless car wash stuff? :)

Edit:
List of water companies with hosepipe ban:
http://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=2862.0

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Hosepipe ban
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 08:56:11 AM »
I saw this lack of water was going to happen years ago, I now only buy silver cars which only need washing twice a year - simples!!

Do your bit for the environment,  do not buy dark coloured cars (notice how they need constant washing - high water usage,  and how hot they get when sun is out - adding to global warming).  Also cars are like clothes - the darker the colour they are the more resources they require to manufacture.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest2662

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 12:03:33 PM »
i use less water with a hose, to wash my car, than using watering cans, with a hose a quick spray over then turn off water, wash car with bucket sponge, then rinse, job done, no more than 2&half watering cans full.  :o

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 01:07:43 PM »
But you are still not allowed to use a hosepipe to wash your car whether you switch it on or off, even with a power washer it is not allowed.

guest2662

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 05:20:30 PM »
oh yes it is, i come under essex and suffolk water, no ban as yet. ;D

chrisc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 manual
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 08:18:35 PM »
The most popular car colour here is white, on account of the heat.  Luckily no water restrictions at all, but you are encouraged not to waste it.
If music be the food of love, play on

guest869

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 06:34:32 AM »
If you collect all the water that lands on your house roof into water butts then you will have more than enough water to wash you car all year. Plus you can use a pressure washer.

Keep the car well waxed and use RainX (or similar) on all the glass (except the windscreen) and this will make removal of dirt easier.

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012, 10:03:36 AM »
Being a cynic . . . how come the Polish car wash is still allowed to operate, but we can't wash our own cars? Surely its not a case of saving water, its a case of the water companies getting paid more for the water being used??

Aitcho

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 10:36:12 AM »
No doubt they are protected being a business and a water ban on them would result in laying off staff, I assume you are not referring to the bucket and sponge brigade who accost you when stationary at traffic lights!  :)

There is an interesting story in today's 'Mail on Sunday' concerning "tougher new controls on water use are expected to be in force by July", headline is Next to be banned: Car washes, window cleaners - and even your garden pond

At least we Northerners will still be able to keep our cars clean.  ;D
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 10:40:47 AM by Aitcho »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2012, 10:42:33 AM »
I would rather that a business or farmer got to use the available water rather than someone like my ex neighbour, who used to clean his car EVERY day,  and if it was raining guess what - he would clean it in his garage - the drains in our street must have been the cleanest in the world with the amount of soap suds that went down them.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest907

• Topic Starter
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2012, 11:34:22 PM »
There is an interesting story in today's 'Mail on Sunday' concerning "tougher new controls on water use are expected to be in force by July", headline is Next to be banned: Car washes, window cleaners - and even your garden pond

At least we Northerners will still be able to keep our cars clean.  ;D

Was only a few years ago that even us Northerners had a hosepipe ban, I washed car with bucket and pump spray.

guest2765

• Topic Starter
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 02:51:43 AM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-17690389

hate to be the bringer of bad news..but unless you have seen already i am...

basically a bit down it it lists:

The Midlands region covers Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire, Derbyshire, Staffordshire, West Midlands, Warwickshire, Shropshire, Worcestershire, Herefordshire and Gloucestershire.

The South West region covers Cornwall, Devon, Dorset, Somerset, Bristol, South Gloucestershire, parts of Hampshire and most of Wiltshire.

Drought restrictions were already in place in south-east England, East Anglia, parts of the South and Yorkshire.

Thats a fair bit of England now with a hosepipe ban (i suppose its only going to get worse?)

guest238

• Topic Starter
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, 09:25:31 PM »
Meanwhile, Veolia Water Central failed to met it's leakage target.

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2012, 10:25:54 PM »

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2012, 03:21:20 PM »
At last!!

I can get my jet wash out!

Tags:

anything