Author Topic: Is the Honda Jazz 1.4 EX underpowered?  (Read 9691 times)

Aitcho

Is the Honda Jazz 1.4 EX underpowered?
« on: May 30, 2011, 03:33:32 PM »
Firstly as a new member to these forums I would just like to say Hello to everyone.

I am a disabled driver at present driving a Nissan Note automatic which was obtained under the Motability scheme and is due to be returned early September so I have to look for another automatic car.

Over the last few months I have been buying various car magazines and also researching on the web seeking information on various models, at the moment the Honda Jazz 1.4 EX (CVT) is at the top of my list.

One of the magazines I purchased was 'Top Gear' Test Drive Directory and in the performance section of their Honda Jazz report they state the following:-

"The engine options are 89bhp, 1.2-litre or 98bhp, 1.4-litre units. On the road, an absence of real power from both is apparent, especially when loaded with a couple of adults and kids. Even the 1.4 with 99bhp is hard work to get moving with any pizzazz, and when you drive something comparable on size and money, like the latest Renault Clio, there's the trace of a suspicion that you've been short-changed".

In view of the above statement is the Honda Jazz underpowered?

I have been lurking on the forums for a week or so reading all the past posts to try and get a better understanding of the Honda Jazz and have found various posts a great help, also found an interesting test on a Honda Jazz 1.5 which went into some detail about the CVT system:-

http://asia.vtec.net/Reviews/JazzVtec/

Found the Honest John web site to be invaluable.

I am wondering how the Honda Jazz loaded with a couple of passengers could tackle the 'Horseshoe Pass' from the Llangollen side and also the 'Cat and Fiddle' heading to Sheffiled, has any member taken their Jazz on these routes?

Hopefully I will be visiting Chester Honda tomorrow with my nephew and his children to try out the Jazz so should be an interesting day.

Cheers - Aitcho

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
Re: Is the Honda Jazz 1.4 EX underpowered?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 03:02:58 PM »
"Underpowered" is a relative term. That link makes interesting reading and is clearly written by someone who has performance in mind. One point made in that link is that 8 of the 16 valves only open at around 3500 RPM and that's where the power starts to appear (and the fuel disappear). That may also be the point at which you can actually hear that the engine is running.

I'm sure that the Jazz can get you up those hills as fast as you want to go (other traffic permitting). However, it may well sound as if the engine is having to do some work. A bigger engine may well pass the same tests with less fuss but will also burn more fuel under normal driving.

John
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Aitcho

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 11:13:13 PM »
I found that link by accident, my main interest was motorcycles but due to illness it was necessary to switch to automatic cars.

Any time I purchased a motorcycle I could always obtain information on the engine complete with cross-section images, it would appear with cars that this information is not easy to obtain, hence my search on overseas web sites for images and information. I was intrigued to find out how the CVT transmission worked.

We had the opportunity to take a Honda Jazz EX CVT demonstrator today for a run around the Chester area which included a section of a local motorway and various 'A' roads the car performed flawlessly and the performance was better than I could have hoped for coping extremely well under motorway conditions.

I have no qualms about its ability to cope with the "Horseshoe Pass" and the "Cat and Fiddle" it is a superb car.

Aitcho

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 01:26:04 PM »
We regularly travel the Horseshoe Pass route then over the Berwyn Mtns - problems up or down, our first drive in the new EX took over the Honister pass in the lakes nice drive.

Under powered to me means 4 up in a 1200 cc air cooled Beetle over the Wrynose & Hardnott passes - every hairpin turn a pleasure.
Full power was a Legacy Turbo along the xxxx route , happy days.

Aitcho

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 10:15:28 PM »
Under powered to me means 4 up in a 1200 cc air cooled Beetle over the Wrynose & Hardnott passes - every hairpin turn a pleasure.

My first car was a White 1200cc Beetle and I agree with you that it was underpowered!

The Honda Jazz 1.4 EX CVT that my nephew and myself tried was much better than my present Nissan Note automatic, a lot more room internally also very comfortable, the engine also impressed use with its quietness and lack of the obvious gear change effect one gets in an ordinary automatic.

Next time I venture over the Horseshoe Pass hopefully it will be in a Honda Jazz.

Aitcho

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 10:50:06 AM »
We may see you on the descent

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 04:09:04 PM »

Living in Devon where there are plenty of hills between the sea and the moors I find the CVT gearbox is the best feature of my Jazz.  It never labours or struggles and is always in the best gear for the situation, even the steepest of hills are taken with ease.  In my opinion this combination of engine and gearbox is superbly well matched.

Last year I took the Jazz (and the wife) to the Lake District covering over 1000 miles on all sorts of roads. I couldn’t fault the cars performance although I do wish the suspension was softer.

guest1521

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 05:16:25 PM »
Underpowered? I think it's adequate. It depends on why 'power' is important, I suppose. I have driven 'powerful,' fast cars... and 'underpowered' cars, fast. I hugely enjoy 'the feel' of driving. Having driven a whole variety of roads over 17,000 miles in UK and Europe in my 1.2GE Jazz - often laden to capacity - I find it always has 'adequate' power. Drive 'ahead of myself' with anticipation of what's required and enjoy the light clutch and snickety-snick gear change to keep in the power band. What a joy of a manual gearbox! On the other hand the i-vTec has enough low down flexibility to tootle around at as low as 1200rpm in top/fifth gear on the flat. Drop directly to third or second gear to accelerate though... but, again, enjoy the peach of a gear change.

Aitcho

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2011, 12:10:40 AM »
Thanks to everyone who has posted in this thread, the information provided has been very useful to me.

It would appear that cutting production at the Swindon factory is already causing some problems with ordering a Jazz under the Motability scheme.

As mentioned previously my nephew and I had the pleasure of taking out a Jazz 1.4 demonstrator at a local dealership last Tuesday (31st May) after returning we then decided to place an order for the Jazz on the understanding that the order could not be finalised with Motability until June 6th.

All details of the car I wanted were taken and an order document was created and then came the bombshell Honda UK would not accept any further Motability orders after 31st May and the order had to be submitted that day! My problem was that the first date I could place an order was June 6th

The sales lady that was dealing with the sale contacted Honda UK but they would not budge, she also contacted Motability but they stated that the first date an order could be accepted was June 6th, I was devastated.

After I had made a phone call to Motability and explained the position I was in and that I would need a roomier and more comfortable car than the one I was using they brought my ordering date forward and said that the order could be placed that day.

Contact the dealer to give them the good news that the order could be processed and then another phone call from them telling me that Motability needed to access my licence details on the DVLA database before the order could proceed! So due to the Data Protection Act I had to contact the DVLA to request that they allow access to my files held on their database.

I know that DVLA Swansea get some stick from motorists and motorcyclists over how they deal with queries but I could not fault them, once I had negotiated the multiple choices and pressed the correct number on my phones keypad I was through to a very helpful lady.

After explaining the problem I had and that there were only a few hours left to complete the order for a car and that I would like them to give Motability and my car dealership access to my files she said it would be done immediately which it was.

Another call to the car dealership to let them know that access to my files on the DVLA database was now available to both Motability and themselves if they required it, and then a short while later a message from the dealership to say that my order for a Honda Jazz 1.4 EX CVT (in Alabaster Silver Metallic) had been placed with an early September delivery date.

So a big thanks go to Chester Honda especially Laura for her tenacity in pushing for the order to be placed and the helpful advice she gave me, Motability for being so understanding and flexible and the lady at DVLA Swansea who went the extra mile to make sure my file on their database was updated right away.

In a couple of hours I went from being utterly despondent to being elated! I wont forget that day.

Aitcho

Rabiedmushroom

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 09 1.4EX Elite plus
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2011, 10:15:40 AM »
I took a new Jazz hybrid out for the day on trial recently. It has the same 1339 CVT engine, but is marketed as a 1.3 rather than a 1.4. Even though it is slightly heavier, I actually found it had more torque up the hills due to the IMA assistance, it pulled better than my 1.4EX. Want one! 8)

I had a new CVT as a courtesy car the other week. It was good fun (as was the hybrid) playing games with the drive :), really nice smooth drive, but a bit apathetic. When I took it back, I commented it was a shame I'd had the 1.2 because it would have been nice to compare the auto option with the same larger engine to my own. They replied saying it WAS the 1.4... Oh...  :-X
However I would say that my own engine significantly freed up after about 6000 miles, and this particular car only had 200 miles on it, it smelt very very new.

Don't know whether that helps or not, its purely my experience and observation.

Aitcho - I did look at the Note when I initially bought my Jazz. I thought it went like a rocket! Very nice car. But I'm glad I got the Jazz, the rear seat arrangement, the doors open wider, and the fuel economy is far better IMHO.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 10:20:49 AM by Rabiedmushroom »

Aitcho

• Topic Starter
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2011, 11:51:03 AM »
Aitcho - I did look at the Note when I initially bought my Jazz. I thought it went like a rocket! Very nice car. But I'm glad I got the Jazz, the rear seat arrangement, the doors open wider, and the fuel economy is far better IMHO.

The Nissan Note is a decent car and with the 1.6 engine (automatic) it has a fair turn of speed.

Although it has good passenger space I found the boot space a bit lacking and fitted a dog-guard so that we could pack more shopping in the back! It is also slightly narrow which meant three adults in the
back was a squeeze, but okay for short journeys.

The ride is 'firm' but at least it does not wallow in corners.

After trying the Jazz I appreciated the relaxed ride and good interior space, the boot is excellent and with the wide opening doors it is easy to enter and exit the car, I am also looking forward to saving money on the fuel costs over the Note.

When placing the order for the Jazz I did opt for the 'Elite' pack which includes rear parking sensors which will be a great aid as I am not able to turn and look through the rear window when reversing a car and have to relay on the interior and exterior mirrors when carrying out this manoeuvre.

Also decided to have front parking sensors fitted as well, any other accessories I can choose once I've received the car which is scheduled for September but suppose this is all depends on manufacturing schedules at Honda in Swindon.

Aitcho

guest1521

• Topic Starter
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2011, 01:32:24 PM »
AITCHO... My earlier post completely 'forgot' the fact that you want/need an automatic/CVT. I hope your new Jazz serves you at least as well as you hope. I'm sure it will.

eljuero

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 Comfort
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2011, 06:39:37 PM »
well, I know a girl who isn't very happy with jazz 1,4 ex (2010) after having note 1,6 for two years.
Especially not happy with jazz's fuel economy (hm...all I can say)

100+1 HP

Aitcho

• Topic Starter
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2011, 03:30:50 PM »
AITCHO... My earlier post completely 'forgot' the fact that you want/need an automatic/CVT. I hope your new Jazz serves you at least as well as you hope. I'm sure it will.

Yes I have to have an automatic and am looking forward to getting the Jazz in September.

If I win the lottery before then would also like a Maserati automatic and an automatic trike!  :)

Aitcho

----- Double Post Prevention - new post below: 1307370852 -----
well, I know a girl who isn't very happy with jazz 1,4 ex (2010) after having note 1,6 for two years.
Especially not happy with jazz's fuel economy (hm...all I can say)

I did check a few MPG comparison sites in respect of the Jazz EX and some people were getting extremely low figures.

The majority appeared to be getting over 45mpg and I would be happy with that any higher figures will be a bonus.

The Jazz is more comfortable than the Note so that is the main bonus for me.

Aitcho
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 03:34:12 PM by Aitcho »

Tags:

anything