Author Topic: Noise from the Three Way Catalytic Converter (TWC)  (Read 2289 times)

guest2129

Noise from the Three Way Catalytic Converter (TWC)
« on: May 23, 2011, 09:32:43 PM »
Hi everyone!

2002 1,2 LS Jazz, manual.

Out of the blue, last week, a metallic, clunking noise appeared from below the vehicle, noticeable while accelerating slowly and at low speeds.

Manual inspection revealled it coming from the emissions/exhaust system, and having the car jacked-up and on stands, it was confirmed it clearly came from what I now know as the Three Way Catalytic Converter (TWC).

(here is the TWC: http://www.hondafitjazz.com/manual/A00/HTML/07/SAA2E07A20316116201MAAT00.HTML - please note that there are no pressure issues, just using the image as reference)

I unscrewed the bolts that hold the TWC protection, thinking that maybe that cover was the noise's culprit... but, alas, to no avail.

The clunking noise comes from within the TWC.
Shaking it provokes the noise; hence, the noise being apparent in lower speeds and when accelerating.

This started about one or two weeks ago... and today, the yellow "engine" light appeared on the dash.

Anyone has had any experience like this, or with the TWC?
Is this fixable, or do I need to purchase a new piece?

Thanks in advance!

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
Re: Noise from the Three Way Catalytic Converter (TWC)
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 09:46:22 PM »
Sounds like the catalytic converter is broken inside and that will need replacing with a new one.

Tags: