Author Topic: Jazz Wing Mirror Glass Removal  (Read 21708 times)

guest1868

Jazz Wing Mirror Glass Removal
« on: January 22, 2011, 09:48:33 AM »
I originally posted this in the new members thread. Hoping to do better here.

Hi Everyone.

This is my first of many visits to this forum no doubt.

Recently acquired an 08 Jazz 1.4 SE CVT for the wife to replace her aged Matiz. Very pleased with it so far and I quite like using the manual gear change although the wife keeps well away from it.

Unfortunately during the cold spell before Christmas we noticed the passenger side wing mirror glass was cracked. How it cracked we don't know. I suspect it may have been caused by an over zealous attempt to scrape the frost off it rather than waiting for the electric heater to do the job.

I have obtained a replaced mirror glass from Honda and the Haynes manual makes it sound a simple task to replace it. I have tried to get the old mirror off its clips but it refuses to budge. I have inserted a protected paint scraper under the protruding bottom edge of the glass and tried to lever it out. It seems reluctant to come off. Is more force required or is their knack to it?

Any advice gratefully received.

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
Re: Jazz Wing Mirror Glass Removal
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 11:11:11 AM »
You are doing it right levering by the bottom edge. Looks like more force is required but be VERY careful as the mechanism that angles the mirror is what the glass is sitting on.

Damage that and a whole mirror assembly is required which I believe is over £100.

guest1868

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 06:50:56 PM »
Thanks Jazzy. I will have to be careful.

I think I posted this in the wrong place too. Must do better!

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 12:02:05 AM »
First read this link
http://www.hondafitjazz.com/manual.htm
search in the manual for wing mirror
take you time
search on google for replacement wing mirrors, some good products out there

bill888

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 09:19:36 AM »
I too tried to remove the nearside wing mirror glass a few months ago when investigating an intermittent wind noise problem.

I failed miserably.

I managed to get my fingers underneath and behind the mirror glass but despite using a lot of force, the glass simply would not seperate from the holder.  I didn't attempt to use even more force for fear of breaking the entire assembly. 

Any chance you can upload a good photo of the rear of the new mirror glass, so one can see what size and shape of clips are used ?

2007(57) Jazz 1.4SE CVT-7 (GE3 - made in China)

guest1868

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 10:43:55 AM »
First read this link
http://www.hondafitjazz.com/manual.htm
search in the manual for wing mirror
take you time
search on google for replacement wing mirrors, some good products out there

Thanks for the link Olduser. The online manual makes it sound easier than the Haynes book! I have seen many websites offering cheap replacement mirror glass but most were simply stick on mirrors. I was not sure if the electric heating would still work or not so I bought a replacement mirror from Honda @ £32!!!

The guy in the spares shop said if you have any trouble pop back and I'll get one of the lads to fit it for you. No doubt at a charge.

The car is due for a service and first MOT in Feb so will probably ask it to fitted at the same time.

guest1868

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 10:39:21 AM »
Sorry for the delay. Picture of the rear of replacement mirror glass attached below. The two top clips are simply hooks that fit into an opposite hole. The bottom two just "simply" clip over a pin:-

[attachment deleted by admin]

guest1868

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 04:47:22 PM »
Pleased to the wife's Jazz was MOT'd and serviced yesterday and the replacement mirror glass fitted.

olduser1

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 10:43:45 PM »
Great ending to a common problem, just think of the ££££££ saved against the dealer price !

guest1868

• Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 05:30:49 PM »
The wife now has another problem with the same wing mirror. Some kind scumbag has clouted it and damaged the casing and indicator lamp lens. The mirror still works OK and I'm pleased to say the new mirror glass is intact. I would imagine a new mirror from Honda will cost an arm & a leg  :'(.

Does anyone know of a good breaker's yard for Honda spares that does mail order? Colour not important as I can get it sprayed locally. 

olduser1

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2011, 06:40:06 PM »
Dino,hard cheese with the mirror-  here's some solutions again the nearside mirror is a quicker replacement than the drivers side.
I would ring and confirm the exact model spec side etc before ordering.
Good luck with this project.

Replacement units are available a less than Honda Trade try a search on Google

http://www.wingmirrorman.co.uk/honda%20jazz%20wing%20mirror.html
or
http://onlineautocomponents.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=1901
or
http://www.pfjones.co.uk/door-mirrors/honda-wing-mirrors/honda-jazz-wing-mirrors.html

bill888

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2011, 09:50:35 PM »
deleted

« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 10:04:27 PM by bill888 »
2007(57) Jazz 1.4SE CVT-7 (GE3 - made in China)

guest1868

• Topic Starter
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2011, 06:39:42 PM »
Dino,hard cheese with the mirror-  here's some solutions again the nearside mirror is a quicker replacement than the drivers side.
I would ring and confirm the exact model spec side etc before ordering.
Good luck with this project.

Replacement units are available a less than Honda Trade try a search on Google

http://www.wingmirrorman.co.uk/honda%20jazz%20wing%20mirror.html
or
http://onlineautocomponents.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=1901
or
http://www.pfjones.co.uk/door-mirrors/honda-wing-mirrors/honda-jazz-wing-mirrors.html

Thanks for that olduser1.

I have tried wingmirrorman they don't have one in stock. There are a few on eBay which I have asked questions about and am awaiting a reply. I aslo phoned a local foreign car breaker who had a new one in stock @ £125.00. I went to see it and was amazed at how big it looked on its own. It was for a left hand drive car as the glass had the extra wide angle piece at the end. The bloke tried to tell me they're all like that. If I can't get one elsewhere I can always change the glass.

He also had another still attached to a door. That one was manual folding though, I need a power folder.

I will give the others you suggest a try first.

Thanks again. 

guest1868

• Topic Starter
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2011, 12:27:08 PM »
The wife is happy once more. :)

I couldn't source a replacement indicator lamp from any breakers so ended up paying Honda just over £49.00 for a new one. My friendly bodyshop repaired the chipped mirror casing without it needing to be taken off the car, sprayed it and replaced the innards.

He also fitted a set of bumper & door protection strips I bought recently on eBay, all for £50.00.

The cheapest replacement wing mirror I could source was just over £100.00 and would then need spraying. Overall I must have saved a few quid. All I need to do now is keep at her to fold the mirrors in each time she parks. 

olduser1

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2011, 06:28:12 PM »
You may need to incentivise the folding of the mirrors......

Tags: