Author Topic: Locking Problem  (Read 2821 times)

R2D3

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar in Sunlight White
Locking Problem
« on: August 25, 2023, 02:49:53 PM »
Two weeks ago I visited the Yorkshire Arboretum, not that the place is significant except for the fact that it is miles from anywhere and certainly not near anything that could be emitting signals of any description.  I parked and attempted to lock the door as normal by touching the door handle.  Nothing happened.  Checked all doors shut and tried using the remote, boot button, other door handle.  Still nothing.  Got in car started engine then switched off.  Repeated trying to lock car.  Nothing.  Waited 3 or 4 minutes tried handle lock again and success, car locked.

OK, so a one-off event, nothing to worry about.... Except...

Two days ago I again visited the same site and experienced the same (not) locking issue.  Thankfully, it didn't quite take so long to eventually lock the car.

These are the only two occasions that this has happened, so would appreciated any views on why this may had occurred.

pauly58

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid Elegance
Re: Locking Problem
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2023, 03:56:19 PM »
We had similar recently, turned out the tailgate wasn't closed properly,

Marco1979

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Crosstar 2021 Crystal Red
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2023, 04:09:49 PM »
If you also carry the spare key, the Jazz might not lock when the spare is inside and is not disabled.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2023, 04:16:46 PM »
I've read about remote locking problems due to local vicinity radio interference but I doubt that would affect the door or tailgate buttons.

I also seem to recall, when I picked up the car and they left the active spare key inside, when trying to lock, it gave a series of rapid beeps to indicate failure.

I'm sure I get those rapid beeps if I try and lock with not all doors shut properly
Let's be careful out there !

HertsHonda

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX I-VTEC CVT 2017
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2023, 04:56:02 PM »
Midway between Menwith Hill and Fylingdales. Did you appear on  their radar?

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2023, 03:48:56 AM »
I wonder if the door and tailgate buttons do still use a radio signal of sorts, hence the problem ?

Bristol_Crosstar

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance Sport
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2023, 09:39:54 AM »
Being nosey and not knowing the area I looked at Google maps satellite photos of that area, there is some sort of industrial building hidden behind trees near the lake on the other side of the road from the arboretum car park, only about 90 metres away but invisible so I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

R2D3

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2023, 05:56:52 PM »
No nearer finding the source of the problem but it happened at the same place again today.  An additional problem was that on returning to the car it would not unlock using the door or boot handles but did after several tries with the remote.  I had enquired earlier at the reception there and was informed that not only had several other visitors reported the same issue but one of the receptionists herself often had the problem.  The nearby buildings are simply farm buildings so no secret radar tracking equipment... unless they are making a good job of making it secret!

ps I forgot to ask the receptionist what make her car was but will do next time.  If she has a Honda we might be onto something :)

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2023, 05:11:58 AM »
Does it work 100% everywhere else ?

R2D3

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2023, 08:50:25 AM »
Does it work 100% everywhere else ?

Absolutely.  Never an issue anywhere else. Am going to try a more distant part of the carpark there on next visit to determine how localised the problem is.

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2023, 01:31:35 PM »
Sounds very much like a radio interference problem to me. There'll be something in the vicinity that uses high power in the 400-450MHz band, which is overwhelming the receiving circuitry in the car (which typically uses 433MHz).

HertsHonda

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX I-VTEC CVT 2017
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2023, 05:56:03 PM »
See my post #4 ?

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2023, 06:29:45 AM »
I had enquired earlier at the reception there and was informed that not only had several other visitors reported the same issue but one of the receptionists herself often had the problem.  The nearby buildings are simply farm buildings so no secret radar tracking equipment... unless they are making a good job of making it secret!

ps I forgot to ask the receptionist what make her car was but will do next time.  If she has a Honda we might be onto something :)
Was the receptionists name Miss Moneypenny by any chance?
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Tags: