Author Topic: Check system and stick in neutral  (Read 1686 times)

MariamcBertie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz mk2 09 semi automatic
Check system and stick in neutral
« on: December 25, 2022, 07:17:01 PM »
I can’t complain as I have had six smooth years out of my Jazz. Without warning this morning the car failed. The ignition was slow and the gear panel was flashing 0. It is an ishift and is now stuck in neutral with the check system warning sign. I have no idea what the issue is and have always presumed that transmission issue meant game over financially? Anyone dealt with a similar issue? Suppose I’m trying to judge whether it is worth chucking money at it.
Thanks
Maria

sad_dave

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: jazz ex navi
Re: Check system and stick in neutral
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2022, 08:01:55 PM »

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2022, 04:15:44 AM »
Check System can often be the battery and that can throw random errors. That would be my first test, especially if it's been stood idle for a while.

Does it crank or start ?
Let's be careful out there !

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2022, 09:05:14 AM »
As above. Battery
Cold weather, dark, all lights on, battery old.. not fully charged.

Modern electronics respond strangely to low battery voltages.

MariamcBertie

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2022, 09:26:28 AM »
Thanks for your replies. We have been through a bad cold spell but the car was ok through it, battery was replaced a couple of years ago, car is used daily. It was driving like a dream the day before. Our code reader doesn’t want to connect. It does start but take longer there’s a strange moment of nothingness before it starts now? (Hard to explain) then it is stuck in neutral.

MariamcBertie

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2022, 09:43:31 AM »
this may help?
https://www.civicjazzishiftrepairs.co.uk/details/

Thanks, sounds like a similar issue and that he knows his stuff!
Downside is that I live in Cornwall. A good 200 or so miles away 😒 I will have to find a mechanic which will come to my house, nearby.

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2022, 09:03:54 AM »
I had this problem three times on my Jazz i-shift  120,000 miles. Apart from above, there's Terry's ECU Repairs on YouTube. But I know some companies does ECU Repairs. But you need to get a mechanic to take it out and then put it back in. Then Honda needs to program the gearbox for relearning.

MariamcBertie

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2022, 09:56:43 AM »
I am picking up a new battery today, to see if that makes a magical difference, would be nice but I would be keeping my aa details close by 😂 I have booked it into a garage who are going to pick it up also. Is it only Honda that can do the ‘relearning’?

MariamcBertie

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2022, 12:41:53 PM »
Thought I would update in case others ever frantically google for the same issue. Fitted the new battery and the car is running like normal again now. Although it wasn’t an old battery, I think the very cold weather just about killed it! Very thankful it is running again!
Thanks to all who took the time to reply and advise.

123Drive!

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2022, 01:00:26 PM »
That's wonderful news! Otherwise would be looking at over £500 to sort out! Happy New Year!

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2022, 05:06:22 PM »
Many people are skeptical about the effects a tired battery can have, but especially in older cars you can get all sorts of odd behaviour. One of the issues can be that the various control units (ECUs) are programmed to "expect" certain characteristics of voltage, for example voltage recovery after cranking and start, and if it doesn't fit within the expectations then the ECU can adopt "non-standard" behaviour.
One classic was with old VW Golf models (I'm talking very old, early injected models) where the afterstart fuelling would go haywire with a tired battery so you'd get start/stall issues.
If a battery is more than a few years old it is well worth considering replacement anyway, not expensive by today's standards usually (compared to fuel for example).

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2022, 05:30:18 PM »
I still trust my CTEK to keep my battery tip-top.

My 9 year old 9G Civic was very low mileage and still on the original battery. At each service they tested the battery and reported it OK.

If I don't use the car for 2 weeks it goes on CTEK to the green fully charged light.
Let's be careful out there !

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2022, 06:19:57 PM »
I have just moved the charging cable over from the Jazz to my Fabia so as soon as the car comes in the drive it is connected to my SMART charger. I have been connecting the Jazz up since August 21 and despite the car lying for two or three weeks at a time, the six-and-a-half-year-old battery is as lively as it ever was.

123Drive!

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2022, 10:01:17 PM »
I have just moved the charging cable over from the Jazz to my Fabia so as soon as the car comes in the drive it is connected to my SMART charger. I have been connecting the Jazz up since August 21 and despite the car lying for two or three weeks at a time, the six-and-a-half-year-old battery is as lively as it ever was.

Sounds like a good idea. My Ibiza's battery goes because it needs an update from Dealer. But I hate going to main dealer so I carry a jump start pack in my car.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2022, 05:27:46 PM »
+1 for ctek chargers, a life saver in our mild winters short journeys.

Tags:

anything