Author Topic: Sat Nav out of date  (Read 9272 times)

R2D3

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar in Sunlight White
Re: Sat Nav out of date
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2022, 06:31:01 PM »
I understand that it's a bad idea to have a 'Home' location set on your Satnav. This is because if someone steals the car while you are away from home they know that you are not there so they or their mates can safely burgle you. I have home set but named it something unrelated.
You beat me to it. My 'home' address is a mile away from my actual address... and I have always managed to find my way home from there!

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2022, 07:27:49 PM »
My "Home" is the entrance to the large parking garage under a building with 64 apartments. Nice puzzle for the potential burglars. ;D
If nothing goes right, go left!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2022, 11:38:43 PM »
My Home takes me to a cul-de-sac with 19 houses. Let them take their pick. Oh, hang on a minute. My satnav is my phone so it isn't in the car! Maybe they will just steal my phone and leave the car in which case I can drive home.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2022, 06:38:45 AM »
Chose the address of that neighbour you dont like.  Then if the car is stolen it might cheer you up to hear he was burgled later.  Unless your car is spotted and you are accused of carrying out the burglary   :o
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

pebbles

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 sport
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2022, 09:38:07 AM »
got me thinking , I keep my insurance and Honda breakdown docs. , with my details on , in the glove compartment just in case.

Not anymore , scanned them to the phone.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2022, 09:47:41 AM »
I've just got my street name on my 'Home' setting including a number is indeed not a good idea
Let's be careful out there !

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2022, 10:14:29 AM »
My home address is the entrance to the estate where I live.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2022, 03:24:06 PM »
How likely is it really?   Most burglars are opportunists.  They are far more likely  to target your house because its one of many they personally checked in the area until they find one that looks vulnerable and unoccupied.  They may even have spotted you driving off. 
Certainly take precautions. If  they manage to steal your car,  its better they dont also know your address. If they are just after the car  its probably unlikely they will drive to your house  . Why take the risk of being spotted by neighbours in your car   when there are lots of other unoccupied houses to chose from at leisure .  But its much more likely if  they also get your house keys at the same time.    .    I this happens, maybe due to a car jacking, its probably best to tell the police of your concerns for the house  and change the house locks asap.

Thieves interested primarily in your particular make of car may break in to your house to steal  the car keys.  (assuming they cant scan them from outside because you've left  the keys transmitting) 

At one time we were warned not to have  name and address showing  on baggage at airports etc.  But how likely is it  thieves will read this, then travel miles to your address in the off chance its unoccupied and worth their effort.   They dont really need for you to be away for weeks.  But it could happen so keep the address hidden. 

But you can never say never.  I shall take all possible precautions with the house and car security  ,  but will try not to  get too paranoid about it. 
« Last Edit: November 23, 2022, 03:30:14 PM by Lord Voltermore »

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2022, 03:59:01 PM »
I think it's the likelihood that they may have your car key fob with house key also attached.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2022, 04:05:32 PM »
I understand that it's a bad idea to have a 'Home' location set on your Satnav. This is because if someone steals the car while you are away from home they know that you are not there so they or their mates can safely burgle you. I have home set but named it something unrelated.

This recommendation dates back years when people mainly had removable devices and were advised to take it with them rather than leaving it in the car to get stolen.  It is far easier to lose a device than a whole car.  Let's not be paranoid.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2022, 05:11:35 PM »
I can see the danger that you might lose your car keys, with house keys attached. Bag etc.   A criminal either finds it  ,or stole it,  and can then blip their way round a car park until they find your car.  The honda logo on the key maybe aids them.  Possibly some will be clever enough to realise that if they have your address  they could  drive there,and enter using keys   before anyone realises a problem.    So certainly , try to keep car keys and house keys  as separate as possible, and dont make it easy for them to find your address. 

Not a new problem solely due to sat nav home address.  As others have pointed out many have long kept  paperwork in the car that  can identify them . 

JJazz

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Exiled Scot
  • My Honda: 2023 Honda Jazz EX in midnight blue beam metallic
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2022, 08:44:46 PM »
Been on to Garmin about our development of four roads missing on latest Europe map. They sent me this to fill in.

Please follow the instructions in this link to create a map error report - Reporting Map Errors on Automotive Devices

https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=pJLZBzPen9A7OXw5vlRyu5&searchQuery=map%20error

Kind regards,
Joshua
Garmin Europe

Update - Link no use so told Garmin to fill in any form.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2022, 10:33:14 AM by JJazz »

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2022, 03:45:53 AM »
Garmin seem to be slowing down on map updates.

I know the built in map update is only yearly but their standalone devices used to be updated 4 times a year. My standalone Garmin, on the latest NTU mapping,  hasn't been updated since May.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2022, 07:11:59 AM »
Garmin seem to be slowing down on map updates.

Garmin  and one or two others used to have a virtual monopoly on gps devices  with a large income to finance mapping. I suspect that the increasing number of alternatives, some of them free , has hit them badly  They have diversified into other technology such as dashcams,fitness trackers etc  , but  also  by getting maps updated in relatively low wage  developing Economies.   Such as China.    Which brings an additional problem.  China has been badly affected by harsh  Covid lockdowns which may have affected their output,especially if it cant be done working from home.  .  Alternative providers may have more global diversity in their updating staff.    It may be a temporary problem for Garmin.

JJazz

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Exiled Scot
  • My Honda: 2023 Honda Jazz EX in midnight blue beam metallic
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2022, 11:07:20 AM »
Update from Garmin.

Select your product to confirm this information applies to you

Enter a Product Name or Serial Number
Type 1 or more characters for results.

Honda Navigation Map Update
Honda vehicles with Garmin Navigation come with either 3 (2021 Honda North America vehicles and newer) or 5 years (all other model years and regions) of map updates at no cost.  These map updates are available roughly once per calendar year. 

Starting in 2015, Garmin began providing navigation in select Honda vehicles. We do not provide navigation for all models of Honda vehicles in all countries after 2015. On our website, you may see a Honda vehicle listed that does not use Garmin navigation in your country or region.

Contact your local Honda dealership for additional information on how to update if you are unsure if your vehicle has Garmin navigation.

NOTES BEFORE CONTINUING:

Map Care Entitlement period begins approximately once the vehicle reaches 200 miles. Depending on age and purchase date of vehicle – the free entitlement period may have ended.

You cannot use the same map download for multiple Honda navigation systems. Doing this will result in a locked navigation device.

If a vehicle's Map Care has expired, you will have the option to purchase a onetime update (if available) by clicking on and following the process in the applicable FAQ below.

Honda Accord 2016 and 2017 - 2016 and 2017 Honda Accord Map Update and Purchase Instructions

Honda Accord 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2022 - Honda Accord 2018 and Newer Map Update and/or Purchase Instructions

Honda Civic, Clarity, CRV, E, Fit, HR-V, Jazz, and Ridgeline (All model years) - Honda Civic, Clarity, CRV, E, Fit, HR-V, Jazz, and Ridgeline Map Update and/or Purchase Instructions

Honda Insight 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2022 - Honda Insight 2019 and Newer Map Update and/or Purchase Instructions

Honda Odyssey 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2022 - Honda Odyssey 2018 and Newer Map Update and/or Purchase Instructions

Honda Passport 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022 - Honda Passport 2019 and Newer Map Update and/or Purchase Instructions

Honda Pilot 2016, 2017, 2018 - 2016-2018 Honda Pilot Map Update and/or Purchase Instructions

Honda Pilot 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2022 - Honda Pilot 2019 and Newer Map Update and/or Purchase Instructions

Related

Formatting a USB Drive for a Honda Navigation System
Honda Map Update USB Not Detected by Garmin Express on a Windows Computer
Honda Map Update USB Not Detected by Garmin Express on a Mac
What to do if Garmin Express is not Offering a Map Update for 2016 - 2017 Honda Vehicles

Copyright © 1996-2022 Garmin Ltd. or its subsidiaries.
Site Map
Terms of Use
Privacy
Security
Compliance
United Kingdom
Cookie Preferences

Tags:

anything