Author Topic: Dash cam  (Read 2277 times)

corbett

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: honda jazz hybrid
Dash cam
« on: November 15, 2022, 01:30:24 PM »
Hi all

Yesterday involved in a  minor incident in my 22 jazz ex.
I was in a queue of traffic when the vehicle in front started reversing to let a large vehicle through, and reversed straight into the front of my car, driver got out apologised said it was his fault and would sort the minor damage out
Got me thinking no witnesses he could have said I went into his car,
Thinking about getting a front/rear dash com.
Any recommendations for a jazz
Would like a decent quality one
Also live in Nottingham, so any recommended fitters would be appreciated

Thank
Tony

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
Re: Dash cam
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2022, 02:02:44 PM »
I have a garmin mini 2 .  Glues to windscreen just below the sensing camera.  Comes with a long, thin usb power lead which I was able to route under  rubber trims and carpets so it plugs into one of the rear passenger usb power sockets. I needed to take care to avoid a possible airbag deployment being hindered by the routing, but so would a professional.  And I think I took more care than a typical Halfords car park  fitter. 
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9460768

But there are other alternatives, watch this space. 

I cant imagine changing my story about blame after the event  but its quite shocking how many will later claim you ran into the back of them.  Or even claim whiplash injuries.   Those who reverse to help others tend to be decent folk.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 02:15:47 PM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Jeff15

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Very good
  • My Honda: 2022 Jazz EX Midnight Blue
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2022, 02:24:08 PM »
I have been using Nextbase dashcams for a few yers now. Your Honda dealer will sort this out for you.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2022, 02:33:19 PM »
I'm a regular on Dashcamtalk so I get to see all the problem reports across brands.

Top of the problem list are the Nextbase 422, 522 and 622.

Right down the bottom, so very reliable, is the Viofo A119V3. Mine has been running problem free for almost 4 years now, and on the same Samsung SDCard. However, it's not a dual camera setup.

Here is my hardwire post : https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=12345.msg105812;topicseen#msg105812

Let's be careful out there !

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2022, 02:35:08 PM »
Regular discussions on here about this subject. One make which seems to get consistently good reviews is https://viofouk.co.uk/
Various models available.
There's a good dashcam forum https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/ for a wider opinion.

(typed as the above post by Kremmen went up!!)

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2022, 02:40:03 PM »
I had the same problem ... typing while Jeff15 posted.

Whilst my V3, and others with the V3 reporting the same, other Viofo models do need checking on Dashcamtalk. The latest A119Mini does seem to have overheating problems and the multi camera setups also seem to be problematic for some.

I'm not a fan of pushing 2 or 3 cameras data onto a single SDCard, it does seem to be an issue for quite a few.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 02:44:02 PM by Kremmen »

corbett

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: honda jazz hybrid
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2022, 07:57:22 PM »
Thanks for all the replies.
Will have a look at sites mentioned.

Thanks
Tony

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2022, 11:29:21 AM »
I have a Viofo A119 V3 at the front and a Nextbase 512W on the rear screen. I used the Nextbase for years, as a front camera, then upgraded to the Viofo and decided to stick the Nextbase on the rear.
I do very little driving now, so instead of wiring the Nextbase in I just have it running off a rechargeable power pack. If I go out in the car I plug it in before I leave home, then leave it running until I return. I recharge the power pack every few weeks (it shows the state of charge as soon as I plug the camera in and if it is getting low I take it in and recharge it).

Toptek

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz EX NAVI CVT
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2022, 01:03:19 PM »
Another happy Viofo A119 V3 user. Fitted the cable to cigarette lighter socket outlet as didn't fancy the hassle of the hardwired option due to the location of the fuse box in the MK 3 compared to my old CRV.
Only issue was reusing an old SD card, resolved following assistance from fellow members advice of replacement card.

5thcivic

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX e:HEV and E
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2022, 03:08:12 PM »
I've just used a standard Amazon HD type for many years without a problem. 32GB card. Used the 12V socket, wire straight behind the dash is pretty neat and excess wire tie-wrapped behind the glovebox. Front screen on drivers side, cables easy to tuck under roof lining, just push up and away from the airbag pillar. The Jazz has those plastic covers near the hatchback roof which makes the tiny rear camera easy. The 3m tape never sticks to the roof lining material but is rock solid on the hard plastic. Just take a tiny round file and remove a tiny bit of rim plastic where the cover closes and the rear camera wire tucks in fine with the cover closed, and you cannot even see anything done to the plastic cover when it is closed with wire removed. The 12V supply even has another USB socket so then three at the front.

Jeff15

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Very good
  • My Honda: 2022 Jazz EX Midnight Blue
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2022, 10:36:46 PM »
I'm a regular on Dashcamtalk so I get to see all the problem reports across brands.

Top of the problem list are the Nextbase 422, 522 and 622.

Right down the bottom, so very reliable, is the Viofo A119V3. Mine has been running problem free for almost 4 years now, and on the same Samsung SDCard. However, it's not a dual camera setup.

Here is my hardwire post : https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=12345.msg105812;topicseen#msg105812

Never had a problem with any of mine..

pebbles

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 sport
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2022, 06:48:04 PM »
I have a Nextbase 122HD , very good video quality and been reliable.
Like ' Jocko ' I just run it off a battery pack which lasts for ages.
Argos have it as a bundle with a polarising filter and case. The filter makes a huge difference in video quality especially in sunny conditions.
At the mo. the bundle is on a Black Friday deal @ £59.99

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2022, 06:03:30 AM »
Here is a full 3 minute .MP4 file from my Viofo A119V3 if anyone is interested :

>> Krem A119V3 <<

It's 660Mb, recorded in native QuadHD 2560x1440 @ high bitrate.

I've deliberately posted a 50mph example as a lot of dashcams produce motion blur at that speed. A lot of static image shots are from almost stationary vehicles where the image will always be sharper.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2022, 06:08:20 AM by Kremmen »

dfconnolly

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz e-HEV EX and 2019 CRV e-HEV SR
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2022, 03:46:15 PM »
Here is a full 3 minute .MP4 file from my Viofo A119V3 if anyone is interested :

>> Krem A119V3 <<

It's 660Mb, recorded in native QuadHD 2560x1440 @ high bitrate.

I've deliberately posted a 50mph example as a lot of dashcams produce motion blur at that speed. A lot of static image shots are from almost stationary vehicles where the image will always be sharper.

Krem, do zi need another app to view this……just hangs on this at the moment
From the advert "Who knows where you’ll go?"

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2022, 04:37:35 PM »
Krem, do zi need another app to view this……just hangs on this at the moment
Should run on any video player once downloaded.

Tags:

anything