Author Topic: Neutral position eCVT selector  (Read 1888 times)

JasonH

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid EX
Neutral position eCVT selector
« on: November 20, 2022, 08:28:41 AM »
Hello,

Hopefully not a daft question(s) concerning the neutral position on the  eCVT gear selector.

I’ve only ever driven an automatic a few times in the past and these were torque converter type automatics. Rightly or wrongly, I was taught that when arriving at a stop, for more than a few seconds, when fully stopped and after handbrake brake applied, to put the car into neutral. Then when recommencing driving, to move from neutral to select the appropriate choice of gear selection. This was to save wear and avoid forward creep and for safety.

So, is this what you’re supposed to do with the Jazz Hybrid when stopped for more than a few seconds or is there something else or some other way? Obviously if coming to a stop that lasts or is likely to last more than a few seconds I would apply the electronic parking brake, but do I leave the car in D? Or to put it another way, is there a benefit to putting the car into neutral or a disadvantage to leaving it in D?

Slightly complicating this is I have never had a vehicle with an electronic parking brake. Something to get used to I guess, though not sure I’ll ever have the same confidence as with a regular handbrake where you can generally feel something mechanical happening. Hopefully just a case of getting used to it.

One last question, the Jazz hybrid has an eCVT. If in drive, at a stop momentarily on a hill, without the foot brake depressed, will it or is it capable of rolling backwards? I am thinking it will and thus differs from automatics with a torque converter.

Hope to collect my new Jazz next week and am trying to quicken the learning curve / find these things out in advance.

If there are any other driving quirks, tips and advice relating to the eCVT or the Jazz hybrid in general I’d be grateful to know about these also. I have been reading through this forum for a while now.

Have regularly and for many years driven older manual geared cars so the Jazz hybrid with all of its tech and eCVT is certainly something to get acquainted with.

Many thanks in advance for any replies.

Jason

« Last Edit: November 20, 2022, 07:50:32 PM by JasonH »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Neutral position eCVT gearbox
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2022, 08:43:14 AM »
As the driver of automatics for 25 years I never ever took the transmission out of Drive when stopping unless I was parking. I was also trained to drive automatic buses and the same goes there. We were not taught to come out of drive unless stopping for passengers when it was mandatory.
The new Jazz is an electric drive so there is no drive when the motor is not running. I would suggest you read the manual (available from Honda - online) before you get your new car, so you know precisely what the manufacturer recommends.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2022, 09:02:17 AM »
Same here, I only moved mine into N when I was in a jam and stationary for over 3 or 4 minutes. My theory was to potentially stop the fluid overheating.

I'd do the same in the Jazz on the basis that because there is creep there must be some friction with the potential to overheat.
Let's be careful out there !

JasonH

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid EX
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2022, 09:06:18 AM »
The salesperson at my Honda dealership has loaned me a copy of the owners manual (I’ll get a fresh copy along with the car when I collect it) and I have read through this a few times.

Can’t find any advice of when or what to use the N position for, nor whether to leave in D (or B) when stopped or move to N. Will read through again in case I have missed something.

If memory serves, the reason for placing into neutral when stopped, was so that in the event of a rear end collision (being hit from behind), your feet if pressed / pushed against the accelerator pedal wouldn’t cause the car to propel forward fighting against the handbrake (if applied), as with the gearbox being in neutral, the accelerator being pressed would have no effect other than to increase engine revs.

I would imagine a car hitting the rear of a bus would be less likely to shove the bus forward.

Thanks.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT

Marco1979

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Crosstar 2021 Crystal Red
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2022, 09:56:02 AM »
In terms of mechanics there is no difference between N or D. The electric motor is always connected directly to the wheels (traditional automatics will use more petrol because of the torque converter, the Jazz mk4 does not have one of those :)) ).
When releasing the brake pedal, the car will not roll backwards, not even on a steep hill. It will creep forward or stay put (if it is very steep) until you press the accelerator.
So it is a matter of choice, what do you prefer? If stopping for only a minute, I leave it in D while holding the brake pedal. This is safe: people see your brake lights and should someone hit you, you are already pressing the brakes.

Enjoy your Jazz!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2022, 09:57:40 AM by Marco1979 »

Jeff15

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Very good
  • My Honda: 2022 Jazz EX Midnight Blue
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2022, 10:15:48 AM »
The Jazz has no gearbox just a drive selection lever.. :)

Wonder

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz e:HEV
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2022, 10:37:08 AM »
Hello,
I really believe that the problem is not systemic, Honda itself has put a button near the brake lever which, if pressed, allows the car to remain braked when you stop (e.g. traffic lights, uphill priority, etc., etc.) i.e. I stop at the traffic light I take my foot off the brake, the car remains braked, I push the gas and the car starts, I'm going uphill, I brake, the car stays braked, I can take my foot off the pedal and when I give the gas, the car starts,
all this without ever moving the gear lever.
Two precautions,
the seat belt must be fastened, otherwise this function is disabled.
The car remains braked for a maximum of 10 minutes then the brake comes off.
(Both things at least in Italy)

(Sorry for the mistakes I used Google Translate)

Karoq

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Was HR-V e:HEV. 7 Hondas owned in the past. Currently CR-V SR. 2022 E:HEV
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2022, 10:53:03 AM »
Wonder said,
(Both things at least in Italy)"

I can't comment on the Jazz, but on the U.K. HR-V e:EHV the brake hold holds for about ONE minute.
At traffic lights and jams, you must be ready to hit the brake pedal otherwise the car will' creep' into the back of the vehicle in front of you!  :o
I have nearly been caught out on a couple of occasions, until I realised it always did it.
I checked with dealer and he confirmed it is working as intended.
Pretty bluddy pointless if you ask me!!
Dip Mech Eng (automotive)

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2022, 11:46:39 AM »
So pulling the lever up is a safer option ...... which is what I do now by habit.

....... and I still have to look down to find it  ::)
Let's be careful out there !

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2022, 12:52:59 PM »
I can't comment on the Jazz, but on the U.K. HR-V e:EHV the brake hold holds for about ONE minute.

I can comment on the our Jazz... Brake hold works for many, many minutes. We always use it in busy town traffic, where it sometimes has to keep for some seconds, but often for one, two minutes (or when we are lucky :() even longer. It also happened that we were waiting, waiting, and even longer waiting at a railway crossing, where it had to keep for many, many minutes. We didn't use a stop watch, but we stood for at least 7, 8 minutes. Yes, on
...brake hold...

« Last Edit: November 20, 2022, 01:03:38 PM by Jazzik »
If nothing goes right, go left!

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2022, 01:07:21 PM »
I have just checked  page 500 onwards of the on- line manual for the Jazz MY 23.  (and its the same same for earlier mk4's I believe)  Brake hold is for a maximum of 10 minutes. (or if you switch off power or unfasten your seat belt)  If the Brake hold cancels itself for these reasons the car should automatically apply the handbrake instead.  It shouldnt unexpectedly let you loose to roll away.

You normally sense when the electric handbrake  is applied. Sometimes you feel a slight lurch and the car may rise slightly( or possibly dip) on its suspension.   But normally you can hear a slight electrical whining noise when it applies.  Its not noisy by any means .Its because the car is so quiet, often totally silent,  you sometimes hear  electrical systems operating which would be inaudible above background engine noise in 'normal' cars. 

I always leave it in D  (or B if thats your preference')  unless in R or P    There is no need to go into N  ,which as far as I know would  only be used for  unusual situations such as pulling the car onto a recovery vehicle  ,or pushing it around a workshop etc.   

The car may creep  until you set the handbrake or brake hold, but creeping can be useful when trickling in traffic. But preventing the creep doesnt  cause any mechanical strain as it might with a  fluid torque converter.   Its true that pressing the accelerator means  the car will release its brakes and go . No ifs and buts.    But you very quickly learn to keep your foot well  away from the accelerator when stationery, and to avoid absent mindedly  revving the engine for the off.  So rear ending shouldnt be a problem.  (More so for those  twits who sit in traffic in gear with their foot down on the clutch. )       
« Last Edit: November 20, 2022, 01:13:43 PM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2022, 01:21:28 PM »
At traffic lights and jams, you must be ready to hit the brake pedal otherwise the car will' creep' into the back of the vehicle in front of you!  :o
I have nearly been caught out on a couple of occasions, until I realised it always did it.

Colin, you need to speak with the dealer again.  According to the handbook it should stay on for up to 10 minutes and when it disengages the handbrake should come on.

■ The system automatically cancels and the parking brake is applied when:
• Braking is kept for more than 10 minutes.
• The driver’s seat belt is unfastened.
• The power system is turned off.
• There is a problem with automatic brake hold system

It would be downright dangerous for Honda to have designed it any other way.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2022, 01:59:29 PM »

Colin, you need to speak with the dealer again.  According to the handbook it should stay on for up to 10 minutes and when it disengages the handbrake should come on.

• There is a problem with automatic brake hold system

It would be downright dangerous for Honda to have designed it any other way.

If your brake hold holds for only about 1 minute and then the car starts creeping, this must be the case! Contact your dealer!
If nothing goes right, go left!

Wonder

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz e:HEV
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2022, 11:37:00 PM »
Wonder said,
(Both things at least in Italy)"

Hello,
I can confirm what I said which is then equal to what was written by Lord Voltermore and ColinS
with an English definitely clearer than mine ;) ;) ;)

Tags: