Author Topic: Realistic mpg  (Read 2655 times)

myself44

• Approved Member
Realistic mpg
« on: October 10, 2022, 04:20:03 PM »
Hi there :) thinking of setting a Jazz SR or Ex

Thanks for allowing me to join I am thinking about by Honda Jazz hybrid.
I do mainly 10 to 20 minute driving at each time, mainly town with a mixture of B roads, what sort of fuel efficiency could I expect.?

Is there much fuel efficiency gain driving in B rather than D?

Also am I right in thinking when in B mode and you take your foot off the accelerator the car will slowly break to regenerate the battery, where in D mode it will just freewheel as normal?

Many thanks for your time

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Re: Realistic mpg
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2022, 05:01:53 PM »
The braking in B mode is more than 'slowly'. It's fairly similar to decelerating in a manual.

As far as MPG goes, from your description somewhere above 60mpg wouldn't surprise me, but it can vary.

I did a 16 mile round urban trip, not going above 40mph and it recorded 119 Mpg. It's motorway and fast roads when you drive above 50mph that kills the mpg down to around 50.
Let's be careful out there !

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2022, 05:15:05 PM »
Just thinking my pattern of driving is not that dissimilar to yours. As you can see my mpg (calculated manually) is 57.7 and that's a year's worth of driving.

My last 3 tanks have all been over 60 mpg but I was down at 45 in the winter (lowest mpg to be fair). This low mpg caused by the petrol engine acting as a heater in the colder months.

I use B mode virtually all the time.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2022, 05:31:19 PM »
I have averaged 68.8 mpg over 7500 miles.   You may use more fuel than this in Town,and at higher motorway speeds  but it can be a lot better than this  on B roads  ( I  once averaged 82 mpg over a distance of 500 miles)   It can use more fuel in colder weather, but then so do conventional petrol and diesel cars. (and fully electric vehicles have a reduced range)  MPG figures as shown by the on board computer (fibometer) In reality ,manually calculated, it may be about 4 mpg less.
There is still some regenerative braking in D mode.     There is more in B  mode   but you have to keep using the throttle  for longer (consuming power)  because the car will come to a stop sooner if you dont. .  So its really a choice between a lower rate of regenerative charging over a longer period of 'freewheeling' or more charging over a shorter period.  It can boil down to personal preference.    Some like B mode  because its a bit like one pedal driving.  The car goes when you  press the accelerator and effectively 'brakes' itself when you dont.  Others (me included) prefer D mode which feels a bit more like a normal car.

I dont think it makes that much difference to fuel consumption  , The only time I use B mode is on a medium length  downhill stretch, to get the benefits of a petrol free  charge of the HV battery quicker. On longer hills the battery will fully charge in D mode anyway.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2022, 05:42:33 PM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Jazzyone

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz mk4 hybrid
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2022, 05:55:17 PM »
I live in Huddersfield usually in B mode and always have to go uphill to get home but my last three tanks show over 60mpg despite this.All the hot hot weather will have helped a lot I’m sure.
Did a 26 mile return to Hebden Bridge which was mainly flat with only one big hill to get home and got 97mpg whiteout trying as was on EV most of journey. Also did a return journey to Liverpool airport in D mode with 4 passengers and luggage with mixture of 70mph and 50-60 mph and 80mpg going and 65 return as more hill climbs on way back. A lot of the flat sections I was actually in EV even doing 70 on some sections.
Just noticing that now temperature has dropped engine is coming on a lot more so expect mpg to drop off a bit.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2022, 06:24:52 PM »

Our Jazz is a little over a year old. All season tires are fitted from new. We have covered just over 11000 km (6850 mi) so far.
The driving pattern over that distance was 24% motorway, 44% B-roads (here max speed 90 kmh = 56 mph) and 32% town traffic.
The actual measured average consumption is 4.48 l/100km (63.1 mpg) as you can see here: https://www.spritmonitor.de/de/detailansicht/1280885.html (display temporarily changed to MPG for your convenience).

We normally drive in B-mode, except on the motorway, where we usually use the ACC and normally do not drive faster than 120 kmh (75 mph).
Note: Low temperatures and faster motorway trips have a negative impact on average fuel consumption.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2022, 09:41:18 PM by Jazzik »
If nothing goes right, go left!

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2022, 07:20:58 PM »
I guess my style of driving is very similar to your, mostly local roads, not much motorway and when I do use them, my speed is probably between 60 and 70mph.
My Mk4 EX was purchased April 21 and has covered, up to today 13820. miles at an average of 67.9mpg. (see attached photo).
I guess you can subtract perhaps 2 or 3 mpg for the 'fibometer', although having said that, I don't think its as far out, as some members make out
Like others, the major part of the motoring is in 'B' mode, unless I need to use ACC.
I would liken 'B' mode deceleration as being similar to slowing down, in maybe 3rd gear of a manual car and again as others have said, makes for 'one pedal motoring' most of the time, which I like.
This car is now my 5th Jazz and is without doubt, the best one yet!

Jazzist

• Approved Member
  • The Jazzdriving Dutchman
  • My Honda: Jazz Executive 2021
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2022, 02:11:34 PM »
It goes without saying that consumption depends on all kinds of (road) conditions. During our holiday in Spain, I once realized a consumption of 2.8l/100km (100.9 MPG). See picture.
On the return journey to my home town in the Netherlands via two more places to stay in France, due to fear of a fuel shortage at the gas stations in France due to the fuel strike, 10 km (6.2 Miles) before the Spanish/French border, I had the car-tank and two 20 liter (4.4 gallon) jerry cans filled. With that I came home after about 1500 km (932 Miles) without having to refuel on the road. And when I got home I had a range of 298 km (185 Miles) left. See photo.
And I didn't drive like a snail, but I also didn't drive 130 km/h (81MPH)
I am very satisfied with my Jazz.
The Honda Forum unites the World.

njf16154

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2022, 02:43:34 PM »
I calculate the real mpg every time I fill up. Here's a comparison of my previous Jazz Mk2 with my Crosstar Mk4 over the past few years. I'm getting about 10mpg more from the Crosstar. Interesting to see the dip over the winter months.

Mr Snazzy Jazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2022, 08:13:39 PM »
Hi The only thing I'll say is that in 'B' mode you won't be able to use the adaptive cruise control or a few other controls.

aphybrid

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 54.46
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Shiny Grey
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2022, 08:59:47 PM »
See MPG for those interested above - lots of info there

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2022, 09:19:38 PM »
in 'B' mode you won't be able to use the adaptive cruise control or a few other controls.

Which "few other" controls..?
If nothing goes right, go left!

Bristol_Crosstar

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2022, 10:18:23 PM »
Economy is better on short journeys than motorway driving, ie the opposite of a petrol car.

I drive in 'B' apart from on motorways, performance is very good even in ECO mode.

Jeff15

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Very good
  • My Honda: 2022 Jazz EX Midnight Blue
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2022, 10:58:47 PM »
Your MPG always falls in the winter months.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2022, 11:37:20 AM »
My Mk4 EX was purchased April 21 and has covered, up to today 13820. miles at an average of 67.9mpg. (see attached photo).
I guess you can subtract perhaps 2 or 3 mpg for the 'fibometer', although having said that, I don't think its as far out, as some members make out
Like others, the major part of the motoring is in 'B' mode, unless I need to use ACC.
Another 1200 odd miles on the clock, now showing 15085 miles and still returning 68.0mpg in spite of the colder weather

Tags:

anything