Poll

Whats your reaction on learning that Honda dealership service center doesnt use  Honda Genunine Engine oil

I dont mind
I mind but dont dont have time to take it further
I mind and i will take it forward

Author Topic: Honda dealer in UK doesnt use Genuine Honda Oil  (Read 2146 times)

kaader bhai

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda jazz 1.4 SE
Honda dealer in UK doesnt use Genuine Honda Oil
« on: September 14, 2022, 09:37:07 PM »
Hi all,
i went to Crown Honda near London to get Honda genuine engine 0w20 oil for my 2009 Jazz.
Surprised and somewhat  shocked to note that they being the Honda dealer and authorized service center , have not been using the Honda Genuine engine oil which the car manual recommends for many years. They use 0w20 of a less heard brand called Morris.
Are customers generally aware  of this? I mean why take your car to an authorized service when they don't use the genuine engine oil. Might as well take it to a local garage and get serviced with a reputed brand oil like Castrol or Mobil.
Don't know about other Honda dealers. Has anyone else observed this?

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
Re: Honda dealer in UK doesnt use Genuine Honda Oil
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2022, 09:54:15 PM »
Morris's are good quality oils. I use Morris single grade 40 in my classic motorbike.

The matter of Honda dealers not using Honda branded oils is surprising but almost certainly down to the exhorbitant price of manufacturers branded oils. I found this out with our previous car, a BMW One Series, (Mini Cooper S in disguise) when I asked the official BMW dealership to carry out an early oil change for me when our car had covered its first 1000 miles. I was quoted £250! I did the oil and filter change myself with non BMW branded equivalent Mobil oil and saved loads-a-money.
Neil Ives

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2022, 05:41:22 AM »
There is Honda Parts Direct, an official Honda outlet 4 litres of oil by
Honda is between £45 and £55 depending on viscosity etc

https://hondadirectparts.co.uk/parts/category/oil-fluids/

edam

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 1.3 SE CVT
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2022, 09:33:35 AM »
Two different Honda dealers use Morris oil for the engine and on my 4th service Morris CVT oil was used for the CVT oil change

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2022, 10:18:23 AM »
My dealer also uses Morris Oils.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2022, 11:02:26 AM »
What's the betting Honda oil is Morris oil in a different tin?

MartinJG

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2022, 11:13:13 AM »
What's the betting Honda oil is Morris oil in a different tin?

:)...

As a footnote to this, my Honda dealer use 0w-20 which they confirm is the Honda recommended oil spec. I have just spoken with Morris oils and they think it should be 0W-30 but feel that 20 will not do any harm on an annual mileage of @ 8,000. They politely suggested that bulk purchasing might have something to do with it bearing in mind most 'modern' cars are using lower and lower viscosity down to 16 in some cases. I followed this up and spoke with Honda who said they would be happy to use 30 in the next service. We do want to look after our beasts...
« Last Edit: September 15, 2022, 11:15:08 AM by MartinJG »

kaader bhai

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2022, 07:10:13 PM »
These are just tricks of the dealerships to cut costs. As an authorized service center they are expected to use genuine engine oil.
If they can compromise on engine oil, I'm sure they must be compromising on filters, plugs, and other spares.  The vast majority of customers are not aware of this trickery and probably trust the dealerships blindly.

edam

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 1.3 SE CVT
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2022, 07:45:27 PM »
It seems strange that 3 unconnected dealerships all use Morris oil

Jazzdriver

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 63 mpg
  • My Honda: 2014 1.4 ES+ CVT and 2022 Crosstar replacing 2021 Crosstar written off
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2022, 08:45:26 PM »
Is that OK for the warranty?

kaader bhai

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2022, 09:04:16 PM »
Warranty issues will simply be passed on to the manufacturer if any.

Most likely the manufacturer (Honda) is not aware of this dirty game played by the dealership. They should be informed about this.
The dealers know that only  less than 1% of customers go into the details and specifications, which is why they continue to service  with third-party oil (cheaper for them) under the heading  of  "Honda authorized service"

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2022, 09:17:09 PM »
Most likely the manufacturer (Honda) is not aware of this dirty game played by the dealership.
Honda will most likely be fully aware of the practice and as long as the oils and parts used meet Honda's specs for the engine it will be happy for the procedure to continue.
My service manual states the oil spec and viscosity but says nothing of the oil manufacturer.

MartinJG

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2022, 09:59:18 AM »
Before folk get too carried away with speculation, Honda is a vehicle/engine manufacturer with a reputation for high standards of engineering. Morris Oils have a very good and well earned reputation in lubricants. Visit their website or telephone them (yes, they do answer the telephone) with any questions and you will get informed answers. Just remember the usual caveat that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing so be sure to ask the right questions. Dumbing down is incredibly frustrating to professionals who know and carry out their job to a standard.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2022, 11:15:51 AM »
Car manufacturers  are not oil companies.  They source their 'own brand' oil  from various  oil refineries around the world.  These can change regularly  depending on who offers the best deal at the time and  despite apparent advertised endorsement of a particular oil brand. They tend to source from local refineries , so Honda oil sold in Asia will not be exactly the same as Honda oil sold in Europe,or America.  (this is also true of well known oil brands)     It could be packaged with Hondas own label in 1 litre and 4/5 litre consumer sizes by quite small companies.   But they might not bother with large  drums, and savvy main dealers  might cut out the middle man and buy direct from the actual  oil supplier. 

Morris and other smaller independent oil blenders  buy base oil from a limited number of oil refineries by the tanker load, or 500 litre  containers.   They blend in additives  made by leading  chemical companies such as  BASF.  Quite possibly the same additives used by  better known oil brands, who give it some fancy  name to impress consumers. Their renowned reputation may all be due to advertising budget ,not because they have developed and made their own additives, or exclusive superior  oil base stock that they do not sell to other oil blenders. 

Its quite possible that  Morris oil would package their oil with the Honda label.   I dont know.

But Comma oil  (not exactly know as a top brand) say on their website  they supplied oil labelled as  Comma, Mobil  and  Toyota.  (among others)  Comma were at one time owned by mobil  so its possible the oil differed for each branding,  but would they bother? Easier to use the same stuff, selling it as Comma for the budget market,  or at a premium price as Mobil or Toyota.     Maybe not quite the same as the likes of Morris and Millers who are smaller independent blenders but they do have their own laboratories,  and as long as  the oil  meets the correct exacting  international specification  I am happy to accept  they have used the correct base oil and additives to achieve it.

Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2022, 12:22:33 PM »
When I worked for Lexmark we made ink cartridges which were labelled for various brands. It was the same cartridge, ink and chip. Just different labels and different quantities of ink. Lexmark had 100% others 90% and the cheapos 75%. And they were all QA tested before going for labelling and packing.

Tags: