Author Topic: dashcam  (Read 1614 times)

5thcivic

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX e:HEV and E
dashcam
« on: July 09, 2022, 04:31:58 PM »
On my Civic I got the option connector from the Civic forum, 12V from the fusebox, took the triangle panel off the driver door dash side and hid the cigarette 5v regulator in that space and ran a cable up the A pillar to the cam on the top windscreen. The back camera went along the roof lining to the cam with all the excess wiring down the C pillar where there was plenty of room.

On the E I just used the cigarette lighter and hid the excess wire behind the glove box, and again up the A pillar to the cam on the passenger side of the centre mirror, and did not bother with a rear camera.

Now if using the 12V socket is it easy to drop down the lower glove box to hide excess wiring tie-wrapped up behind?

Is it worth putting the rear camera in since there would be quite a bit of excess wire and would it go down the C pillar?

Any tips appreciated, thanks.

sportse

• Approved Member
Re: dashcam
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2022, 04:43:37 PM »
Depending on your camera functions you might be able to use the reversing camera for a rear camera.

I have the Honda front dash cam and it does this.

Resolution isn’t superb on the reversing camera and the image is also reversed (you can flip it in editing software) but it’s good enough for me.

5thcivic

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2022, 02:32:42 PM »
I paid enough for the illumination pack and side bumpers, so the Honda dashcam was no longer an option  :D

Anyone got behind the lower glove box easily?

BigT

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz Ex
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2022, 02:00:28 PM »
I'm new to the 2021 Jazz and Honda in general.

I wonder why a car equipped with front and rear cameras fitted as standard cannot also be used a dash cam's?

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2022, 02:06:50 PM »
I think the forward facing camera isn't much good for video, being a very wide angle just for the safety systems.

The reversing camera works fine for me, but a dedicated rear view camera would have a much better resolution.

5thcivic

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2022, 03:12:50 PM »
I wonder why a car equipped with front and rear cameras fitted as standard cannot also be used a dash cam's?

Could be easily done since even HD cameras and recordings can be done on hardware that costs only 10s of pounds on the aftermarket, even excluding a micro SD card. There used to be arguments about privacy laws and recording in public, but since Honda now include an expensive option themselves I can't see that being a problem anymore.

Anyone got behind the lower glove box easily?

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2022, 03:42:44 PM »
Wired mine exclusively from the driver's side.

Dashcam and SatNav:

https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=12345.msg105812#msg105812
Let's be careful out there !

Cobb2

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2022, 09:02:02 PM »
On a Crosstar , using a Nextbase dashcam and rear camera fitted on the side of it  i easily ran the power supply from the cigarette lighter, immediately tucked it in the side panel next to it and around the back of the glove box (at the bottom of it without removing it), then  tucked it up along the A pillar and in the lining just above the windscreen to come out just to the left of the rear mirror. Took me less than 30 mins to fit and both cameras give a good picture - even the rear camera through the cabin ( only reduced rear picture if rear seats are up or with a middle passenger.) It has worked well for the last 18 months.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2022, 05:38:12 AM »
Up the A pillar just tucking under the plastic trim can be very dangerous if the airbag deploys.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2022, 07:26:53 AM »
There used to be arguments about privacy laws and recording in public, but since Honda now include an expensive option themselves I can't see that being a problem anymore.
Using a dashcam is still illegal in Austria ,Luxemburg and Portugal, with heavy fines.  In Germany(and possibly one or two others)  they are not illegal  as such,  but discouraged  and the law courts will not accept dashcam  video as evidence of guilt or innocence ,even if it clearly shows who committed a major crime.  So even if, like me,you are equipped to replay the video on a big screen to police at the scene of a crash , its by no means certain they would be willing to even view it when deciding to prosecute you.  (and in countries where dashcams are illegal you would be incriminating yourself by even mentioning you were using a dashcam) 

So if its built in by Honda its best to know how to  turn it off when necessary.  I like to use a small discrete dashcam without a screen that is not hard wired, which in some circumstances i might not go out of my way to mention   to anyone  ;) Insurance companies prefer you are cautious about what you say and admit at the scene.  You might actually be less to blame than you think  at the time.   
« Last Edit: July 13, 2022, 07:37:41 AM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2022, 08:41:29 AM »
The Honda Drive Recorder isn't built in, it's an optional dealer fit accessory.

It just goes to show how anti-car some countries are. Some have banned speed camera location detectors and as posted some have banned dashcams.

In the UK dashcam, and video doorbell footage, is often requested by Police to help solve crime by identifying culprits and their routes and behaviour.

5thcivic

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2022, 12:21:52 PM »
In the UK dashcam, and video doorbell footage, is often requested by Police to help solve crime by identifying culprits and their routes and behaviour.

Because in the UK there are no police to be seen and car crime goes largely unpunished.

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2022, 12:38:24 PM »

Because in the UK there are no police to be seen and car crime goes largely unpunished.

Why I got rid of my Toyota Auris hybrid... despite having a catlock, tilt alarm and replacing the blue logo hybrid badges with plain non-hybrid ones.

:(

Tags:

anything