Author Topic: Which 0w20 engine oil?  (Read 1217 times)

jazzister

• Registered Member
Which 0w20 engine oil?
« on: July 09, 2022, 11:03:54 AM »
I have a 2013 1.4, the manual asks for ACEA A3/B3 or A5/B5 oil, and it "suggests" 0w20 for fuel saving.

I have trouble finding A3/B3 or A5/B5 0w20, I find it only in low ashes type C5, and even Honda's 0w20 doesn't come with A3/B3 or A5/B5 specifications.

Is ACEA C5 0w20 ok for this car or not? What kind of oil do you usually use?

Thanks

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
Re: Which 0w20 engine oil?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2022, 06:30:54 AM »
I use 5W30. I used 0w20 but difficult to get at sensible prices.
I keep detailed mpg records over decades (sad).
Impact of changed oil over two years? 0.5mpg.
Hardly worth the extra cost

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2022, 12:06:48 PM »
It's a complex issue, though not really my areas of expertise, I just have a working familiarity with the subject. There's plenty of discussion topics elsewhere by those with expertise, for example https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/a3-b4-vs-a5-b5.251011/

For aftermarket use it probably doesn't make much difference, if you wanted to err on the "safe" side (lubrication aspects) then probably A3/B4 would be the way to go, but 0W20 oils are far more likely to be A5 with the bias towards economy.
It's rare these days that engines are so fussy regarding wear protection that it matters very much. Usually manufacturers are looking at economy and emission durability (catalyst deterioration factor from oil ingredients). What you use later in the vehicles life is not of great concern.
On emission durability, I often remind people that the MOT test is a very cursory assessment, basically just determining whether the systems are operating or not rather than any real measure of real world emissions. Other markets do use proper "in-use compliance" testing where cars are subjected to full emission tests.
I had my 2018 Jazz MOT'd yesterday, I smiled at the emission results........ all zero ........ yeah, right.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2022, 12:12:28 PM by embee »

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2022, 06:05:35 PM »
Pop your Jazz details into OPIE oils you'll get back a choice of quality oils. Most important use Honda oil filter every time you change the oil. Enjoy you Jazz

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2022, 09:52:16 PM »
My car gets fresh 5w30 every 8k miles or so. It's enjoyed Castrol and Comma so far. As long as it meets the grade quoted in the Honda manual, it'll be fine.

This is the stuff I used at the last change, £21.40 at the time. Bargain. https://www.gsfcarparts.com/za042884

jazzister

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2022, 10:09:47 PM »
Pop your Jazz details into OPIE oils you'll get back a choice of quality oils. Most important use Honda oil filter every time you change the oil. Enjoy you Jazz

Oh, OPIE oils gets me C5 and GF-5 oils   :o  :)

I'll go with a C5 and amen.

What is the deal with the filter? Isn't a generic filter just fine?

Thanks

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2022, 10:40:25 AM »
Ah, filters ........... second only to the great oil debates.

There are as many opinions as folk who care to express one, and we all know what opinions are like (clue - we all have one but no-one wants to hear it). You will find dozens of mainly USA reviews of loads of different makes of filter, with various conclusions.

FWIW, and this is only a personal view, I nearly always use the manufacturers OE filter if they can be got for sensible money. Manufacturers will not source filters from rubbish companies, there may be "better" (whatever that entails) items out there but OE will always be fine.
In the big scheme of things, if you pay £12 for an oil filter as opposed to £5 once every 6k miles or something, you will have spent getting on for £800 - 1000 in fuel these days so the saving equates to less than 1% of your fuel costs. Is that worth it?

There are a couple of other filter manufacturers I will happily use, Mahle being one (I have past connections with that company and am confident in the product), Bosch is another.
Be careful about sourcing, there are always fake items on the auction sites. If in doubt, try https://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/

Tags: