Author Topic: key and wipers  (Read 1331 times)

5thcivic

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX e:HEV and E
key and wipers
« on: July 07, 2022, 04:07:06 PM »
Ordered my EX (with 15in for comfort) due September. Somebody told me the Jazz keys have an off switch to stop relay thefts, is this true, or is it the same as my E where I have to have a faraday pouch all the time?

Secondly, the E has hidden wipers and you have to set them to a "raise" position  to clean, otherwise you can scratch the paint on the bonnet edge lifting from parked. I downloaded the manual for the Jazz and could not find this even though it has "hidden" wipers.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Re: key and wipers
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2022, 04:15:00 PM »
Yes, you can disable the key by holding both buttons for 3 or 4 secs until the red light flashes twice.

......and don't forget the spare.

The Jazz wipers simply lift up from the glass and stay lifted, miss the bonnet paint completely. They are only 'hidden' in as much as they are behind the lower black glass area when viewed from inside.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 04:18:53 PM by Kremmen »
Let's be careful out there !

5thcivic

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2022, 08:36:56 PM »
Thanks, that's good to know, why didn't they do the same on the E? That has the window function on the key, which although useful is not as useful as not having the car stolen very easily.

I still think a little slide switch on the end of the key would be more user friendly, you could flick that with your thumb as you walk away, presumably both buttons need two fingers, both hands to hold down to set?

Are you the same Kremmen from the old Talex forum?

PaulC

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz eHEV Luxe
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2022, 09:35:00 PM »
Hi, what are "relay thefts"?

Beaver

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2022, 09:54:57 PM »
Thieves identifying a keyless entry vehicle will approach the house with an electronic device and scan for signals emitted by your car key.   If detected, the thief by the house transmits the signal to a second thief waiting by the car, with another electronic device to receive it.

The second thief, having copied the key signal then fools the car into thinking the key is present, so the car is then unlocked.   One thief starts the engine and steals the car, while the other one drives away in their own vehicle.   It's called a relay theft as one device relays the signal from your key to a second device that records and uses it to enter your car.

To combat this, I keep both my keys in tested Faraday pouches when they aren't in the car being used.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2022, 11:25:58 PM »
To combat this, I keep both my keys in tested Faraday pouches when they aren't in the car being used.

Switching the key off or on takes no more effort and or time than putting that key in a Faraday pouch or taking it out.
In addition: switching off saves the battery (and therefore also the environment a tiny little bit ;)).
If nothing goes right, go left!

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2022, 05:20:21 AM »
Are you the same Kremmen from the old Talex forum?

Wow, that's some time ago, but yes.

I now use Speedtrap Alert via PGPSW. The funny thing is I still use the same timings that Talex provided for the initial warning and the overspeed warning if you're still speeding.

14 seconds for first warning and 6 seconds for overspeed.

5thcivic

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2022, 01:04:02 PM »
Hi, I was talexuser then, and then 2nd Civic on the Civic forums, but am now really 5th Civic. We had some fine times deconstructing the talex hype from the non-hype  ;D The talex is still in a box in the garage somewhere, and still worked for height above sea level  :D

I must admit surprisingly that I get by fine with the Garmin on Civic and E and the "adjusted" Cyclops database seems to work fine, though I drive sedately nowadays and really don't need it anymore.

This hybrid Jazz seems as big as the Civic in front, and just as quiet as the 1.8 ivtec on the road, quieter in urban naturally. I will miss the power sunroof, all leather seats, and nicer dash, but that 60mpg is just unbeatable for the quality, space, ride and comfort. I just wish it had the same dash and cameras as the E. CVT Yaris is no comparison for the ~same mpg.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2022, 01:44:25 PM »
There's a lot of debate about speed camera warnings.

I also don't intentionally speed, but these days it's very easy to slightly drift over the limit with quiet comfy cars. I just like to have that 'there's a camera up ahead so check your speed'

These latest digital Monitron cameras are far less lenient than the old wet film Gatso.

A conviction can be costly in a fine and future insurance.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2022, 10:19:27 AM »
This hybrid Jazz seems as big as the Civic in front, and just as quiet as the 1.8 ivtec on the road, quieter in urban naturally. I will miss the power sunroof, all leather seats, and nicer dash, but that 60mpg is just unbeatable for the quality, space, ride and comfort. I just wish it had the same dash and cameras as the E. CVT Yaris is no comparison for the ~same mpg.
It's interesting to compare the WLTP test cycle components for the latest Jazz and Civic for they provide insight into likely mpg for particular usage. The numbers are for the low, medium, high and extra-high + combined result. Roughly, low = urban conditions, extra-high = motorway at or above UK speed limit and the others are in between (high is approximately cruising at lorry speed).

Jazz eHEV:  80.7, 74.3, 72.4, 48.7 = 62.8
Civic eHEV: 67.3, 72.4, 67.3, 47.9 = 60.1

The Civic clearly isn't so happy in urban conditions (probably due to the bigger engine and heavier vehicle) while the difference at the motorway speed limit is very small (probably due to the Civic's lower drag body shape). I'm baffled why the Civic almost matches the Jazz in the medium cycle.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2022, 11:28:29 AM »
The extra high matches my driving which is mainly all on motorways - my average is around 50mpg over 16k miles so close to their figures.

5thcivic

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2022, 02:38:16 PM »
I would definitely have changed my 1.8 ivtec Civic for the new one but they added another 30 cm to the length and I just do not use that space in back or in boot and it just makes it more difficult parking and even less room in the garage. Because the E is for shopping etc a long journey hybrid was on the cards and finding something as exciting as the E is difficult. Toyota was boring, Cupra was interesting but had poor usability with too much touchscreen, Mazda interesting but so so mpg, so the Jazz was it, economy, big car feel, quality, great space for the size, and frankly quieter with your foot to the floor than the HR-V. I rather liked the Ioniq 5 but that is as big as the new Civic and you might still have some range anxiety.

Tags:

anything