Author Topic: Yokohama tyre wear  (Read 898 times)

sportse

• Approved Member
Yokohama tyre wear
« on: July 05, 2022, 06:42:48 PM »
I’d been fairly impressed with the standard tyres fitted to my EX - not outstanding in any area but ok in most.

Winter driving in sub zero temperatures was ok with good grip for a standard tyre.

The only slight disappointment was wet weather performance with a bit less grip than I would have liked.

Until now, the tyres were wearing very well.

However in the last 2-3k miles, wear has shot up - I don’t know if they don’t like the warmer summer temperatures with long motorway drives, or if the tyre wear just increases rapidly as they wear beyond a certain point with these.

In tyres I’ve had before the wear rate was consistent with miles travelled up until they needed changing.

My rears are still 5mm but the fronts are now down to 3.5-4mm, so will need changed before winter.

Mileage so far is only 16k miles, so maybe 18-20k total before they will need replaced.

I had hoped for maybe 30k on the fronts with a low powered hybrid that smoothly applies power but it’s going to be quite a bit less.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
Re: Yokohama tyre wear
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2022, 07:54:40 PM »
Hi Sportse, Like you I am generally pleased with the Yokohama tyres and have just checked my tyre depths.
I find that based of 11000 miles, the wear is fairly even, with the rears a being 6.2-6.0mm and the fronts 6.0-5.7mm, which I guess is commensurate with yours, given the difference in mileages. The tyres on my previous Jazz cars were Dunlop and were far worse than this.

I don't however agree with your premise of the smooth drive, promoting a good mileage.
The Mk4 power, particularly torque is significantly more than the previous Jazz, which will improve acceleration and the general 'get up and go' of this model, and I'm sorry to say, that human nature being what it is, if the power is there, then you will use it, at some point.  :D :D

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
Yokohama tyre wear
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2022, 08:31:50 PM »
I haven’t really seen the traction control light, so maybe the tyres are quite grippy and actually working harder than it appears.

They are more readily available now through Kwik fit/etc than when I looked last year. Price around £105 so not too bad for a quality tyre.

I used to have Dunlop tyres on a previous car, good in the summer but very hard in the winter with little grip. On my Yaris the car actually used to skid sideways when driving very slowly around car parks in the winter with full lock. The tyres were on the edge and with little grip they just slid.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2022, 08:36:26 PM by sportse »

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Re: Yokohama tyre wear
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2022, 11:54:10 AM »
Can't remember now which of my Jazzes it was but I replaced a set of Dunlop SP2030s at 13,000 miles when they were down to 3 mm.

I haven't done enough miles to assess the Yokohamas. With my current low mileage it might be age rather than wear that causes me to replace.

Tags: