Author Topic: Driving style questions.  (Read 1736 times)

Topgun

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX Mk 4
Driving style questions.
« on: July 03, 2022, 11:21:01 AM »
So, finally got my new Jazz earlier this week, generally very pleased and impressed with it. Minor niggles for me personally, nowhere to put sunglasses, my previous few cars have had a place above the rear view mirror to store them, missing that. Also, RDMS, which I find really irritating. The fact that, even if you turn it off, it comes back on next time you start the car, just compounds the problem. However, I do accept, that these fall firmly into the category of "First World Problems", so I'm not going to bang on about them too much!
Anyway, back on topic, my questions are these:-
1/ With previous automatic cars I've owned, the manual always says to put it into neutral, rather than leave it in drive, when stopped for more than 30 seconds say. I believe this is to prevent wear on the gearbox. There is no mention of this in the Jazz manual. Is it necessary/good habit to do this, or with this type of transmission does it not matter?
2/ With regards to the Automatic Brake Hold function, I was under the impression that it was good form to not leave the brakes applied when you come to a stop. Two reasons for this, firstly it keeps your brake lights on, possibly dazzling the person behind. Secondly, the part of the disc where the brakes are still applied cannot lose heat at the same rate as the rest of the disc, this is then a major cause of prematurely warped discs. I was taught to apply the handbrake when you come to a halt and release the footbrake.
Any observations on these matters from anyone with more technical knowledge than me, (not difficult!) gratefully received.

sportse

• Approved Member
Re: Driving style questions.
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2022, 11:27:49 AM »
Congrats on the new car

1) There is no gearbox, and at low speeds it's an electric car only (petrol engine only directly connected to the wheels sometimes at high speed cruising) so no need to do anything with the 'gear' lever.

2) Unless you have been braking from high speed, the brakes won't be hot. I use brake hold if it's heavy traffic that's not moving for a while, but don't use it if I have just come down a slip road from 70 mph to 0. Then I might inch forwards a bit so the brakes don't warp the discs, but even that's probably not needed as a lot of braking will be the electric motor and not the brake discs. With most new cars being automatic now, everyone's brake lights are on when stopped so no need to worry.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2022, 11:29:40 AM by sportse »

Topgun

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX Mk 4
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2022, 11:34:25 AM »
Interesting, thank you. BTW, thanks for the Tom Tom Go app suggestion. I've used that, with Apple Car Play, a couple of times now, and it seems to work very well.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2022, 11:51:18 AM »
I'm the same regarding brake hold, never used it. Bad form to dazzle the vehicle occupants behind when you're stationary, unprofessional in my book.

I always raise the lever and foot off pedal so the brake lights go out.

Even though I've used it extensively I still can't automatically 'find' it quickly and have to glance down.
Let's be careful out there !

aphybrid

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 54.46
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Shiny Grey
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2022, 12:07:46 PM »
I put brake hold on after start at same time switching RDMS to off.

Brake hold a great way to make for easy driving.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2022, 12:23:19 PM »
Yes - I love brake hold. That said I thought it would switch off the brake lights - obviously not.

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2022, 01:00:59 PM »
VW's also keep the brake lights on with brake hold.

Although it might be polite to use the handbrake, there are enough dopey (literally) drivers around that I keep the brake lights on to warn them that I've stopped. It also tells the car directly behind me that I'm moving off when they switch off, so they can look up from their phone/stop daydreaming and start driving!

You'd think people would notice that a car had stopped and not run into the back of them, but it's a very common accident - likely one of the reasons we have CMBS fitted. At least with three red lights on the rear of the car, hopefully they might realise something isn't moving.

I'd expect many of the people running into other cars are likely to be driving old cars for some years that won't have this though.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2022, 01:04:39 PM by sportse »

Beaver

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2022, 02:21:03 PM »
Before my 22 plate Jazz I was selective about when to press the brake pedal and keep my brake lights on when in stationary traffic.   If the driver behind stopped at a decent distance and their body language looked good, I'd have the handbrake on and no brake lighting.   If they were on their phone in any way, turning around to look at children in their vehicle, constantly creeping forward or obviously holding their car in gear, they saw my brake lights all the time.   I'll live with being "unprofessional".

I use both the brake hold and hand brake systems now. 

Mellorshark

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2022, 02:41:14 PM »
Parking brake switches off brake lights. 

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2022, 02:50:11 PM »
As per my usual posting style :)   I didn't fully qualify.

I only meant that when vehicles behind are stationary.

I dislike having full red LED's in my face so I don't do it to others.

If I'm the tail of a queue I do monitor the rearview mirror and apply if I consider necessary.

If when I'm approaching a queue and if the vehicle in front has permanent brake lights I stop well back.
Let's be careful out there !

Wonder

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz e:HEV
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2022, 03:51:09 PM »
Hello,
personally I think it is really a small problem,
how many times do you happen to be behind cars that keep the rear fog light on even if we are in the column?
So I don't think the stops on are bothering.
Using the handbrake can be a solution but it does not avoid the eventual deformation of the rear discs because in any case those would cool in a different way.
(Sorry for the mistakes I used Google translate)

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2022, 05:08:43 PM »
In heavy city traffic and traffic jams I always use the automatic brake hold (just like all those other drivers, or do they just keep their foot on the brake pedal?). I have never experienced the fact that their brake lights stay on as a nuisance and I assume that the brake lights of our Jazz are no problem for them either. At least so far no one has ever complained.
And... after all, we are all amateur drivers, not professionals.  ;)
I activated the electric handbrake exactly once, completely by accident...
If nothing goes right, go left!

Derkie54

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 1.5i-MMD Jazz SR (Shining Grey)
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2022, 05:54:50 PM »
Yes - I love brake hold. That said I thought it would switch off the brake lights - obviously not.

Same here brake hold on after starting
It will be alright in the end, if it's not alright then it's not the end !

MRCLICKCLICK

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: CROSSTAR.
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2022, 06:57:42 PM »
Brake lights are only glaring if you are too close. They are there for a purpose  -to say the car is stopping - or stopped. A lot of drivers seem to like to drive / pull up up my backside - their problem - not mine.

shufty

• Approved Member
  • ...Riding High
  • My Honda: HR-V
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2022, 07:14:10 AM »
...I wish the brake hold was 'auto on' like the H-RV.
I do use it in conjunction with the parking brake even during the day as if it were all manual as on my previous MK2.
I rarely see anyone in front do the same apart from some cars that are likely to be manual, generally older cars.

Tags: