Author Topic: The slowest car available?!  (Read 3098 times)

sportse

• Approved Member
The slowest car available?!
« on: June 17, 2022, 11:31:12 AM »
According to Auto Express readers, who ranked the Jazz mark 4 the slowest new car available in their survey!

Do the magazines even read the comments?

‘Very slow in the lower gears, nearly caused an accident’

Mark 4 Jazz has no gearbox, or gears, and does 0-60 in under 9 seconds.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/best-cars/driver-power/95238/best-cars-to-own-driver-power-results

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Re: The slowest car available?!
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2022, 11:35:03 AM »
Yes there are some numpty magazines and journalists who publish tosh.

Probably nothing to do with the 1.5 + electric motor Mk4 but the previous 1.3 cvt ranges.
Let's be careful out there !

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2022, 11:40:43 AM »
Another idiot in one review I read said the Mk4 Jazz would only operate in EV mode up to 25 miles an hour and only for a few hundred yards. I've had mine in EV mode at 60 mph and, coming home from Sainsburys, I've done at least a mile in pure EV mode.

Where do they get these charlatans from? Clearly they just make stuff up.

Saycol

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: MY21 Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2022, 02:59:47 PM »
I think you need more than a short drive to appreciate the benefits of the hybrid drive of the current Jazz and a lot of rubbish is written by reviewers, most commonly of course saying that it has a CVT gearbox.
The electric drive makes it very quick off the mark and I would expect its 0 to 30 mph time to be comparable with “faster” cars and all done effortlessly of course. Like many others I often see the electric drive cut in at speed. Currently I am enjoying 65 mpg which is much appreciated with current petrol prices.
To conclude but on a different theme, I read today that in USA new hybrid Toyotas are selling at $10,000 above list as there is such a shortage of new cars because of component shortages. Also (and we see it here with Honda) it is only the higher spec cars that seem to be available. I wonder if U.K. will become like the USA market.

aphybrid

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 54.46
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Shiny Grey
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2022, 03:06:59 PM »
According to Auto Express readers, who ranked the Jazz mark 4 the slowest new car available in their survey!

Do the magazines even read the comments?

‘Very slow in the lower gears, nearly caused an accident’

Mark 4 Jazz has no gearbox, or gears, and does 0-60 in under 9 seconds.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/best-cars/driver-power/95238/best-cars-to-own-driver-power-results

Can't see the bit of the article that mentions the Jazz but the cars are assessed on actual owners comments not the journalist and it covers a range of years - does the quote come from pre current Jzz hybris views also?

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2022, 03:34:31 PM »
It's ranked 28th out of 75 - I think the online article only has the top 10 but the magazine has all 75.

The entry is specifically for the Mark 4 from 2020 onwards, but maybe the magazine just reused an article referring to the Mark 3 and kept the previous comments?

Their entry says "The acceleration is rated as the worst of any car in the entire survey, and poor ride quality irritates owners."

I have an EX with the 'big' 16 inch wheels but I think the ride comfort is fine, as good as many cars from a class above I've owned.

No problems at all with the ride, just that cornering isn't the sharpest with a bit of body lean as I have to go round some sharp roundabouts with the wrong camber - but it's not supposed to be a sports car.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2022, 03:36:16 PM by sportse »

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2022, 03:45:35 PM »
I agree.

The ride in mine is better than my Mk9 Civic. According to what I've read that's because Honda have used more tensile steel that has allowed softer springs.

If Auto Express history is anything to go by maybe their main advertisers are concerned and have asked/told them to mark the Jazz down.

I remember a 3 car shootout in AA where reading all the text you could easily determine the 1,2,3 order. Nope, the one with the worst writeup won ...... a Golf.
Let's be careful out there !

fashionphotography

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2022, 04:08:33 PM »
slowest car i ever had was when i was repairing American cars back in the 90.s. i  purchased a Cadillac Cimmaron from a trader. late 80.s compact. 1.8 . YES 1.8 . if you remember the mk 2 vauxhall cavalier it was one of those bodyshells with a gm american pushrod engine in it.. but had more extras than a Rolls Royce. air con pump wasd as big as the engine. dare one switch it on it almost came to a stop lol

BROC

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: MY24 ZR-V Advance
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2022, 05:54:05 PM »
The ride of our EX with 16"  wheels is much better (and more quiet) than the 1 year old BMW X2 XDrive Auto I sold last year.

In my case I didn't buy the Jazz for it's performance or even because it was a hybrid.  I was looking for a small, automatic transmission car that didn't use a CVT or dual clutch type automatic transmission.   There are few if any torque converter gearboxes available in small cars, it was purely by chance I discovered how the Jazz MK4 power train worked.   I decided to give it a try, organised a test drive & was sold......

Hicardo

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64mpg summer avg, 56mpg winter avg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Surf Blue 2021
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2022, 09:25:42 PM »
Agreed. The latest Jazz is not a slow car, far from it, it's almost as quick to accelerate as a Golf GTI from not long ago, and compares very favourably with iike for like competitors around today.

So its odd that an owner said the car was painfully slow, and then that was regurgitated by the dumb car magazine, I suspect to knowingly mislead, instead of the filtering that out as incorrect.

Just think of all the other valid comments they could have printed instead, but they chose this one. Ridiculous!   :o

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2022, 11:04:25 PM »
Absolutely true! The slowest car available:

« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 11:06:15 PM by Jazzik »
If nothing goes right, go left!

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2022, 09:39:34 AM »
I watched the video above and was a bit bemused.  The gear knob, glove box and steering wheel were highlighted as if they are somehow unique selling points for a Jazz.  Absolutely ridiculous.

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2022, 01:26:17 PM »
I watched the video above and was a bit bemused.  The gear knob, glove box and steering wheel were highlighted as if they are somehow unique selling points for a Jazz.  Absolutely ridiculous.

Honda's social media marketing in the UK is absolutely dire - trying to say the car has a boot, etc as unique features... when every other car has them.

They've just put out a post about Jazz, saying you can save money on your road tax if you buy one... but they don't tell you that it's only £10 a year!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 01:33:55 PM by sportse »

Hicardo

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64mpg summer avg, 56mpg winter avg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Surf Blue 2021
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2022, 08:17:15 PM »
Jazzik...nice video  ;D. Faster than an older Golf GTI then...... :o

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2022, 11:11:35 PM »
I was driving my Jazz Mk4 today. I was on my own so no one was telling me how to drive. I was really enjoying the nippy response from the car. I was first away from traffic lights and easily reaching and cruising at motorway speed. This is not a sluggish motor car!
Neil Ives

Tags: