Author Topic: UK car driven in France  (Read 2646 times)

DERMOT

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk4 SR
UK car driven in France
« on: June 12, 2022, 11:37:51 PM »
Hi can I ask if the folk that have taken their car from GB to EU mainland , France in particular:

1) LED main lights. That there is no adjustment, no stick on shields needed. That the flat cut off of the beam is enough.
     What are the lights like when driven on the 'wrong' side? Does the autodimming still work.
      Without obvious stick on shield, does this get noticed by police
      Bulb kit. As all but 4 are  led ( fog, reverse, numberplate, rear indic)is it ok to carry just them
2) did you get crit'air sticker.  Or is it obvious where the zones are, able to get Google maps to avoid?
3) honda breakdown for puncture repair. The cover is Europe wide, so is it calling Honda UK and they sort out recovery. Have you experience of the cover in Europe?
Thanks

sportse

• Approved Member
Re: UK car driven in France
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2022, 07:20:56 AM »
For the spare bulbs, it's just rear indicators and reverse lights that are ordinary bulbs.

You have to watch that you get the right ones, as apparently Honda can use two different types in the factory - my dealer supplied both types, as the only way you can tell is when you have the old bulb removed.

Worthingmike

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mark 4 Jazz EX
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2022, 01:16:31 PM »
I have driven twice to France, Switzerland and Italy. The lights are no problem and work just as in the uk. Never got flashed. I have some spair bulbs from a previous car. The rules say you need a spair set of bulbs but doesn't say they have to fit your car. You will only get puled over if a light is not working. I would get a Crit air sticker as you never know when you may need it. It doesent cost much.  Dont forget to change the speedo from miles to kilometers it makes life easier. There are a lot of speed cameras.
I havent needed Honda break down so can't comment about it.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2022, 01:30:19 PM »
I've noticed that the beam seems lower and wider.

On previous non LED cars the beam is easily identified as aimed at the nearside.
Let's be careful out there !

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2022, 04:24:03 PM »
I've travelled in France and other countries. s,

1) The LED projector headlights cannot be adjusted,with stickers  (but bear in mind beam height aim may need adjusting depending on your loading. )    So far I have only used them in Tunnels, where they were no problem,good beam, and didnt dazzle anyone.   

Led lights are quite familiar to police in France and its unlikely they would notice the absence of beam converters   -especially as they wont be dazzling any one.  If you are worried about over zealous  police, take a French translation of that section of the handbook.    If despite this they insist on issuing a fine, they are only going to look fools to their senior officers  when you are able  to prove they were wrong.   :P

Not sure about France but in most countries that require you to carry spare bulbs   specifically exclude  LED  ones.  So just carry  amber 21 w and any other that are conventional.  If you have an obsolete bulb kit you might as well carry it but I wouldnt buy one specially. .   But I suppose ultimately they might not let you continue driving with a blown LED  .They seldom blow  and are not really a DIY job anyway so it would be a garage job/Tow, ( or wait to morning, or the gendarmerie have gone home.  (and not hiding round the corner)

Yes I got a Crit aire  You get a mauve class 1..  They are not expensive but may take a couple of weeks to arrive.  No problem if it doesnt arrive before your trip. The site says its sufficient that its on record that you have applied.

In many cities and Departments  the need for a critair only takes affect as a temporary measure  if pollution levels are high, due for instance to atmospheric condition.   And this is announced on Local TV and Radio ! (in  French) :P 

So it makes sense just to have one.  It lasts the life of the car and no need to worry it being on sat nav.   

Its much more likely you will need an Umwelt 4  Zone sticker  when driving in Germany. Some quite small towns have a Zone.   I think Google warn you if your plotted route enters a zone. But as with the critair you might as well just get one.

I got mine from the local government in  Berlin  (its valid all over Germany,and lasts the life of the car )  I think it costs 6 euro inc postage. There are other towns and web sites that issue them but some charge  12 - 14 Euros.    .   
https://www.berlin.de/sen/uvk/en/environment/air/low-emission-zone/vehicle-sticker/

Not needed Breakdown cover yet in UK or Europe.  Its worth reading the cover in detail.  I think european cover might only extend for a trip of less than 3 months.  (not a problem for most) 
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

elpapyo

• Registered Member
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2022, 07:42:52 PM »
2) did you get crit'air sticker.  Or is it obvious where the zones are, able to get Google maps to avoid?
I live in France, so about crit-air :
it's required on some cities, if you have to drive in those cities : they aren't required outside those  cities.

https://uk.france.fr/en/paris/article/critair-anti-pollution-vehicle-sticker

from https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr
The Crit'Air sticker is mandatory in low-emissions zones for mobility (LEZ-m) and during periods when the traffic is differentiated.

As the French administration love to complexify things, crit air sticker may be required OUTSIDE pollution period :
For example, Paris as restricted even on A86 motorway A86.

https://www.service-public.fr/particuliers/actualites/A14948?lang=en

you have of course other things to check :
https://uk.france.fr/en/holiday-prep/driving-france-0

About restricted zones : they are available here :
https://www.environmentalbadge.com/eco-zones-france/

So, unless you have to drive in some of those cities, you aren't required to have a Crit-air

For example, if you drive trough Lyon city, on the highway : no Crit-air required : you have below the map
https://www.grandlyon.com/fileadmin/_processed_/8/a/csm_zfe_perimetre-zoom_2020_c0c20efba1.jpg
So, if you follow either the M6/M7 highway, or the outlying street BPNL/L.BONNEVAY  : no crit-air required. The same if you use A46.

the official site for buying one is this site :
https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr

Web site available in FR/EN/DE. 3,11 € + 1,40 € postage outside France (i.e. 4,51 € per vehicle).

Unfortunately, Waze may not be accurate on town which require crit-air :
https://support.google.com/waze/answer/7670108?hl=en

This feature is currently available in the following cities:
France (CRIT'Air): Paris, Grenoble and Lyon

May be the FAQ is not up-to date, and more cities had been added.

DERMOT

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2022, 09:22:12 PM »
Thank you all for taking time to reply and including links.
I'll sort out application for the badge, and including the one for Germany.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2022, 11:04:23 AM »
Thank you all for taking time to reply and including links.
I'll sort out application for the badge, and including the one for Germany.

I  cant guarantee that the class 4 German one, (or indeed the class 1 crit air,  ) will be valid in every Zone but should  suffice for most. . A system where almost every car qualifies anyway is becoming increasingly pointless . Some major city centres are introducing  stricter control zones ,where something  more may be required.  For instance hybrids qualify for free entry into the outer London zone, but not the inner one.    And Belgium and Netherlands  have cities where  Local registration plates record their entitlement (as do uk plates for the London Ulez) .Foreign registered vehicles are Not exempt,and somehow need to obtain a permit,or avoid the zone.   So you still need to be wary and do your research   >:( 

crosstarhonda

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: honda jazz crosstar
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2022, 05:11:33 PM »
Hi all. Is it true a British disabled individual with a “blue badge” for parking can no longer use it in 🇫🇷 France?  :o Information from 2017 on gov.uk gives out the advice you can’t. Thanks.

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2022, 10:16:15 PM »
Hi all. Is it true a British disabled individual with a “blue badge” for parking can no longer use it in 🇫🇷 France?  :o Information from 2017 on gov.uk gives out the advice you can’t. Thanks.

Is that a 🇫&#127479 B🇫&#127479it  benefit?
 :o

https://anglophone-direct.com/getting-disabled-parking-badge-france/
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/blue-badge-using-it-in-the-eu/using-a-blue-badge-in-the-european-union

Edit Added links
« Last Edit: June 18, 2022, 10:39:08 PM by JimSh »

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2022, 07:00:38 AM »
I havnt got one but I thought you can no longer use a blue badge issued in the UK in ANY EU country.   If the UK government site says you can it might not be up to date.  Our government seem to spend more time trying to find  brexit opportunities, than updating the ones that apparently only 'remoaners' already realised we would lose. But they eventually  sorted something on insurance green card, and health cards  so maybe they have agreed on reciprocal  Blue badges as well  - even though, shock Horror, we might need to allow EU wrinklies to park outside Waitrose  :o  ;) ;D

Also UK citizens can no longer  get the reduced pensioner rate into museums, archaeological sites etc that are available to EU citizens.   Its costs me quite a few Euros recently.       
Some sites may allow it anyway, or they might not  bother  to check ID if you look the part. 

Incidentally  Hungary has just introduced  a higher price for fuel  for vehicles not registered  in Hungary.  Pump price may say 4.67 forints  a litre but at the till you discover this has  increased to 7.99 forints for non locals.   :o  I believe this also applies to vehicles registered in other EU countries, which might be contrary to EU law.  But if Mr Orban gets away with it other countries may have the same idea.    Hungary did still have a  Covid restrictions  with vehicles transiting through the country only able to use a limit number of approved 'transit' filling stations on motorways. . But I think this new pricing applies at all filling stations.   

My wife has literally just read  that goods trailers over 750 kg  have to be registered for use in the EU, or possibly just Germany.Not that the mk4 can tow anyway)     I dont know the details  but worth  checking if it affects you.   
« Last Edit: June 19, 2022, 07:33:49 AM by Lord Voltermore »

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2022, 07:32:37 AM »
Sounds easier to just stay in the UK  :)
Let's be careful out there !

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2022, 08:23:30 AM »
Sounds easier to just stay in the UK  :)
Join the crowds on the beach at Bournemouth ?  - Nah.

You just need to do your research. That said a friend, in his 40's , recently drove right across Europe with absolutely no Documents for his car.   No Insurance, no Log book,  Not a mistake.  It just didnt occur to him that he might need to carry them  :o  Maybe this level of thinking was why , despite owning a holiday home  in the EU , he voted Brexit.       He was not  checked until he exited the Schengen zone.  The amazing thing was they didnt seize the car until he could produce documents, but let him continue.  Officials are only human and may have felt pity.   Some folk antagonise officials with a belligerent attitude. " Havnt you got something better to do" is a classic. Amazing what you can get away with if you remain polite and appear contrite.   ;D  Sincerity. If you can fake  that you've got it made  ;D

Lurch

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Mk4 Jazz EX Hybrid
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2022, 11:58:21 PM »
Watch out for new speed limits on many French roads.  Back in 2018 the speed limit on French A & B class roads was reduced from 90kph to 80kph. However, very few road signs have been updated to show the new speed limit.  A recent trip to the Normandy area in 2022 and I only saw a handful of signs that stated the new speed limit of 80kph...the majority still state 90kph some 4 years after the change in speed limit.

DERMOT

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2022, 04:47:39 PM »
@ Lurch. Thank you. I didn't know about the lowering of limit in 2018, and on some of the wider regional roads i would have felt 90 was too slow, and used 100.

Map of 80/ 90 zones in france, as it seems that some departements have reverted to 90:
https://www.leparisien.fr/societe/de-plus-en-plus-de-departements-veulent-rester-aux-80-km-h-18-10-2019-8175237.php
https://www.french-property.com/news/french_life/90km_speed_37_departments
The 1st link is 2019 and out of date

Hoping Waze is up to-date.

Tags:

anything