Author Topic: Sat nav outside UK  (Read 1072 times)

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
Sat nav outside UK
« on: June 07, 2022, 10:36:15 AM »
I never realised how much we were being short changed with Sat nav in UK.   In Southern Germany I got traffic alerts. One was warning of traffic incident with pedestrians on highway 11 km ahead. 1km  tailback, no faster alternative.    Second was motorway closed  ,automatically diverted me onto side roads.  (Preplanned closure with diversion signs )    third was warning of animals on carriageway.    Saw  a small  deer happily grazing the wrong side of  deer fencing.   It could have been a hazard,  but not on the level of the sign I saw later on the Egnatia Odos  motorway in Greece. :o  See  photo. ;D

Yet the uk we have to do without.     Not sure how it gets signals  , radio waves, phone signal,or from the satellite,?    and whether this service will expire  if I dont renew a subscription.       I'd rather put the money towards data and  use something like waze. (athough I dont want to be alerted every time someone spots a bunny rabbit.   ;D)

Also I noted  the car not only reads speed limits signs  that are there but some that are not. It once showed 30 kph signs with stars. Presumably for winter conditions. I double checked, there were  definitely no signs displayed . It must also use memory and GPS . 
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Re: Sat nav outside UK
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2022, 11:45:01 AM »
Honda have not paid for the poor TMC RDS for the Jazz.

I'm not surprised because compared to all the alternatives it's 'pants'. Only covers motorways and A roads and the data can take up to half an hour to filter through as it goes from TM beacon to TM HQ, then gets processed and sent to participating radio stations with more delay.

Quite often on the M25 the TMC reported tail of a jam was 5 to 10 miles out whereas Inrix via Garmin was spot on.

I think the HRV has a Garmin similar system of traffic via a smartphone connection.

Filtering this through to the Jazz would be good but don't hold your breath.
Let's be careful out there !

Topgun

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX Mk 4
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2022, 11:54:15 AM »
So, what is the best way to obtain reliable and prompt traffic information, whilst using the Sat Nav in the Jazz?

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2022, 12:18:00 PM »
For me, I use the TomTom app on Apple CarPlay.

The best feature it has, that I haven't found on other apps, is the route bar - this gives you a bar at the side of the screen showing your whole journey and any roadworks/breakdowns/etc.

You can see at a quick glance what's coming up for your whole trip and the delays if any for the events.

http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/new_GO/html/en-gb/Theroutebar.htm

Topgun

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX Mk 4
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2022, 12:19:38 PM »
Thanks sportse. I presume you have to pay for that?

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2022, 12:51:39 PM »
Yes, it’s only about £12 a year and you get weekly map updates and traffic.

The maps are downloaded to the phone, so you are not paying data charges apart from traffic when driving.

Traffic is quite efficient, not taking much data.

There is also a trial available, or a one month subscription to see it it’s ok for you.

shufty

• Approved Member
  • ...Riding High
  • My Honda: HR-V
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2022, 01:04:04 PM »
...TomTom Go on Android is £19.99 a year. Is that the one?

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2022, 01:51:14 PM »
I hardwired in a Garmin DS61 that shows me up to date traffic for my entire route. Traffic is free for the lifetime of the unit.

I also use wireless Android Auto Google Maps which has traffic. That is also free.
Let's be careful out there !

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2022, 03:30:15 PM »
...TomTom Go on Android is £19.99 a year. Is that the one?

That's the one, but unfortunately the last time I looked it was only Apple phones that got the route bar when connected to the car.

The route bar works if you have the phone not connected to the car, but you lose the bar on the car display.

Apparently it's a limitation with Android Auto - they control what you are allowed on the display, so that all navigation apps look similar.

On Apple CarPlay, TomTom managed a workaround using an allowed overlay on the system that isn't present on Android sadly.

One of the main reasons for me switching from Android to Apple was TomTom and Apple CarPlay with the route bar - I've been using TomTom for many years now.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2022, 04:11:59 PM by sportse »

Wonder

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz e:HEV
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2022, 07:58:44 PM »
I hardwired in a Garmin DS61 that shows me up to date traffic for my entire route. Traffic is free for the lifetime of the unit.

I also use wireless Android Auto Google Maps which has traffic. That is also free.
Hi, what do you mean by wired?
can you see the navigator in the Jazz display?
or can you send the traffic signal from the DS61 to the navigator of the Jazz?
(Sorry for the mistakes I used Google Translate)

Tags: