Author Topic: Catalytic converter theft  (Read 4753 times)

Topgun

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX Mk 4
Catalytic converter theft
« on: June 04, 2022, 12:41:20 PM »
Hi all.
New owner here, in fact so new I haven't even got my EX Jazz yet, should get it in the next week or two.
I'm slightly concerned that the Jazz appears to be in the top four cars in the UK prone to catalytic converter theft. Has anybody on here had an issue with this? Or, has anybody fitted some sort of lock in order to prevent this happening?
Thanks...

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
Re: Catalytic converter theft
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2022, 01:24:49 PM »
A quick search of the forum would have alayed your fears, only the MK1 Jazz suffers from **** stealing cats. Later Jazz have different engine configuration . Enjoy your new car & welcome to the forum

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2022, 01:41:58 PM »
Nothing to worry about, thankfully our cats are located right off the exhaust manifolds and are not accessible to an easy theft.
From 2008 onwards, Honda vehicles have positioned the catalytic converter within the engine bay to make theft more difficult.
If nothing goes right, go left!

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2022, 02:32:33 PM »
I was all set to buy either a Corolla hybrid or Yaris hybrid... until I found out that they still suffer from cat theft.

The Jazz was specifically chosen by me due to its secure cat.

The only bit sticking out the bottom is the bottom of the petrol particle filter, but as the top of the filter is behind a crossmember they couldn't even cut that out or get anywhere near the cat.

Worthingmike

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mark 4 Jazz EX
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2022, 02:52:57 PM »
That's very good news. I didn't know where it was. .

Topgun

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX Mk 4
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2022, 10:19:54 PM »
Thank you all for those replies. Most reassuring.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2022, 04:44:15 AM »
It would be helpful if the publishers of the 'stats' made it clear which models were most at risk by year.

There may be some scrotes who damage a modern Jazz unnecessarily only to find they can't get to the cat but the name Jazz made them try.
Let's be careful out there !

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2022, 09:07:59 AM »
It would be helpful if the publishers of the 'stats' made it clear which models were most at risk by year.

There may be some scrotes who damage a modern Jazz unnecessarily only to find they can't get to the cat but the name Jazz made them try.

When I had my Auris you could get the car with different engines, so I had all the hybrid badges removed and also replaced the blue edged Toyota logo badges with plain ones from a non-hybrid.

To a simple criminal driving by looking for targets, it wasn't a hybrid so not worth bothering with (unless you looked in the window and then could see the hybrid gear lever!)

Like I found with the insurance renewal problems on my Jazz, some insurers are treating all Jazz as theft targets even though the modern ones don't have the cat sticking out underneath. Official insurance group is 20, but Aviva were classing the Jazz as group 40 internally.

jamjar

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2022, 04:28:27 PM »
I was all set to buy either a Corolla hybrid or Yaris hybrid... until I found out that they still suffer from cat theft.

The Jazz was specifically chosen by me due to its secure cat.

The only bit sticking out the bottom is the bottom of the petrol particle filter, but as the top of the filter is behind a crossmember they couldn't even cut that out or get anywhere near the cat.

Saw this sticker on a Toyota today,

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2022, 04:55:40 PM »
That warning about it being marked and registered won't put them off as they probably strip off and discard the exterior metal housing to get at the innards ?
Let's be careful out there !

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2022, 05:47:13 PM »
I didn't even bother putting the catlock stickers on my Toyota - you are just advertising that you have something worth stealing.

There are many stories of Toyota owners with catlocks having their cats stolen... and after you spend £2k having a new one fitted, the thieves can come back and take the new one away too!

Best to avoid cars with cats that stick out the bottom - that way the manufacturers will do something about it.

jamjar

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2022, 09:47:35 PM »
I didn't even bother putting the catlock stickers on my Toyota - you are just advertising that you have something worth stealing.

There are many stories of Toyota owners with catlocks having their cats stolen... and after you spend £2k having a new one fitted, the thieves can come back and take the new one away too!

Best to avoid cars with cats that stick out the bottom - that way the manufacturers will do something about it.
Agree with you

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

• Trader
  • Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2022, 08:17:44 PM »
Hi.
If anyone needs help with insurance after a catalytic converter theft then please feel free to drop me a line.
I'll do my best to try and help out.
Regards,
Dan.

Tags: