Author Topic: Updating Sat Nav.  (Read 878 times)

Thatch49

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Ex Navi
Updating Sat Nav.
« on: June 02, 2022, 12:14:41 PM »
I followed some instructions which I found on YouTube and updated my Satnav. However, I have 2 questions. Question 1: When you are updating the map in the car, which takes about 20 minutes, you are advised to keep the engine running. Can you do this by going for a short drive or does it need to be idling over on the driveway ?  Question 2: When it comes to updating the next time, say 6 months down the line, can you just download the update & put it in the car or do you need to put the USB stick in the car first to register it again ?

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
Re: Updating Sat Nav.
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2022, 12:36:18 PM »
1) The process, once started, must arrive to the end or map files won't be uploaded on your unit. You can leave the engine idling or you can do it while running, the important thing is to keep the engine on to not interrupt the process.
2) It's better to start every update first inserting the pendrive in the unit not to "register" but to write in the pendrive the present version of your maps, so  this info will be compared with the last version avaiable on the net.

Thatch49

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2022, 04:03:56 PM »
Thanks.

Does anyone know what happens after the free updates for 5 years stops. Will the satnav work but just not be updateable or can you buy the updates.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2022, 04:57:37 PM »
I believe you can now buy map updates via Garmin Express.
Let's be careful out there !

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2022, 09:02:10 AM »
Thanks.

Does anyone know what happens after the free updates for 5 years stops. Will the satnav work but just not be updateable or can you buy the updates.
Satnav will go on working with the last uploaded map, then (after one or two years) it will start remembering you that you map files are old. Then you'll can go on with your old maps or buy the updates, I'm waiting to know the exact price (approx 25£, if I remember well...)

Thatch49

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2022, 11:17:22 AM »
Thanks for the replies. At least I now know it won't just pack up and I can update it, albeit at a cost.

Tags: