Author Topic: Silencing navigation voice  (Read 2113 times)

Hugh R

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX Grey
Silencing navigation voice
« on: April 29, 2022, 10:29:35 PM »
Can someone please remind me how it's possible to get get rid of all voice instructions - I've tried turning everything down on both built-in and Apple maps but still can't find the elusive control.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
If nothing goes right, go left!

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Re: Silencing navigation voice
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2022, 05:12:52 AM »
Also, Android Auto Google Maps uses this separate volume setting as well.

I never wanted voice instructions in the Garmin mapping so turned it off. When Google Maps was silent I nearly sent off a support request before realising what it was.

Fortunately Google Maps have a readily available mute button so it's quicker and easier to turn on/off instructions.
Let's be careful out there !

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2022, 11:18:21 AM »
I've never tried navigating without voice prompt.  Doesn't having to constantly check  whether an upcoming visual direction is imminent detract from driving?  Or am I missing something?  Is the pink dashboard display for the inbuilt system sufficient warning ?

There are times when I wish "Aggie"  (or Sat Naggy) voice prompt would shut up for a while  :-X ,such when it keeps  trying to  direct me back  when I am deliberately  taking an   alternative route  and hoping it will recalculate without me having to bother.   :P

« Last Edit: April 30, 2022, 11:21:24 AM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Karoq

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Was HR-V e:HEV. 7 Hondas owned in the past. Currently CR-V SR. 2022 E:HEV
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2022, 11:37:46 AM »
If it's the same as the hybrid HR-V.......
On the top right of the screen there is a loud speaker symbol, click on it and it turns the vocal instructions off.
Dip Mech Eng (automotive)

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2022, 11:41:41 AM »
I've never tried navigating without voice prompt.  Doesn't having to constantly check  whether an upcoming visual direction is imminent detract from driving?  Or am I missing something?  Is the pink dashboard display for the inbuilt system sufficient warning ?

I agree, I prefer listening to the annoying voice of "pani" (Polish for madam), even if she repeats herself (too) often. The alternative is that (in unknown surroundings) you have to switch your gaze almost continuously between that purple/pink on your dashboard display and what is really important to see...
If nothing goes right, go left!

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2022, 11:42:31 AM »
On the TomTom maps app I use (and also on Waze) you can have voice on or off and also a setting that is voice off but still gives you alerts for traffic/etc.

Almost all the time I have mine set for alerts only, as it is just for traffic.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2022, 11:42:48 AM »
Almost all my journeys are over known roads so I'm only interested in traffic.

With the Garmin it's level 1 or above. Even level 1 isn't needed for me, muting the audio so I turned it off. Fortunately AA Google Maps has a proper on and off without having to delve into sub menus.

dfconnolly

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz e-HEV EX and 2019 CRV e-HEV SR
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2022, 08:02:14 PM »
I can supply my memory stick for music which has corrupted files on that seemed to knock out the voice guidance permanently. Been a source of woe for many months before the dealer finally established it as the cause of my voice guidance losses!
From the advert "Who knows where you’ll go?"

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2022, 04:20:32 AM »
My USB 3.1 music stick only has .MP3 on it and has been flawless.

But my older USB2 stick was 'make and break' even though it worked perfectly in my Civic.

So the headunit seems picky.

Foksadure

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2020

Tags:

anything