Author Topic: A wheel solution required.  (Read 908 times)

davejazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: jazz EX 1.5 May 22 in boring black!
A wheel solution required.
« on: April 26, 2022, 08:23:12 AM »
As I await my mark 4 delivery, with baited breath, end of June; I require some help with my mark 3, EX wheels.

I will be selling it privately, and now starting final preparations for its sale. It is in really good condition, considering it is now a six year old car. The only thing that I would like to improve, is the condition of the alloy wheels.

Around the centre of the hub, the finish is slightly bubbled, and if I scratch it with my fingernail, it has a white powder effect. If this was a steel wheel, think of it as light rust. My initial thoughts are to attack it with a nylon scourer, and carefully touchup the underlying aluminium surface, with a clear lacquer. But I am sure, that the learned people on here, will have a better solution.  Answers please on a postcard!

I am on this forum, rather than the mark 3, as lots of you will have had a mark 3 in the past, and experienced and solved this issue.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Karoq

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Was HR-V e:HEV. 7 Hondas owned in the past. Currently CR-V SR. 2022 E:HEV
Re: A wheel solution required.
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2022, 10:14:38 AM »
In my experience, your wheels are past DIY help unless you know what you are doing.
With alloy corrosion bubbles, it sounds as though they need professional re-furbing which could cost you around £50-£60 a corner. I don't think you would recover the cost on, P/X or re-sale. If you are P/Xing it might be worth while talking to the dealer and ask him what he would give you with or without the wheels done up, Bear in mind he can get them re-furbed at trade which will be less than you would have to pay. HAGGLE!
Unless anybody else has any bright ideas?
Dip Mech Eng (automotive)

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2022, 10:34:49 AM »
I agree with Karoq.  The cost of refurbishment may exceed any loss on the valuation.   Diamond cut wheels  really need to be refurbished by spinning on a special lathe, which diamond  cuts the aluminium back  with tiny facets that reflect light in a unique way.    Trying to polish the 'white worm' corrosion away   by other means would probably stick out like a sore thumb  ,unless the area is tiny and you are very skilled. And will still involve some cost in lacquer etc.  The corrosion can sometimes eat  quite deep into the alloy. 

Trade buyer in particular will spot bodged repairs and value the car the same as if it hadnt been attempted  (or possibly even lower).

« Last Edit: April 26, 2022, 10:41:00 AM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

aphybrid

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 54.46
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Shiny Grey
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2022, 10:47:20 AM »
I would agree with Lord Voltermore, when at dealer do not mention them, it is as always buyer beware.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2022, 01:29:36 PM »
I see a Blazing Saddles theme here.  I agree with Karoq, Lord Voltermore and aphybrid ;D

Tags: