Author Topic: navigation addresses partly in Chinese  (Read 846 times)

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
navigation addresses partly in Chinese
« on: April 15, 2022, 11:02:08 AM »
Doesnt happen  for uk addresses  , But does for some addresses I've checked in France Belgium and Germany.

Its not as drastic as it sounds. Its in Latin characters, not chinese.  (Pinyin?)   and the correct address is shown ,and is searchable.   But it adds a bit extra in Pinyin, 

For instance  search for Calais France  and the address is all I need  but also  includes  " Jia Lai Xia Sheng."  which translates as " Home to next life"    ??? 
It starts to make a bit more sense  when I checked somewhere further north in France  which only added  "Nuo de"  which translates as " Nord"     (north)   and even more sense when I searched in Ypres, Belgium which added "xi fo lan de" which  translates as 'west Flanders'.       (   Incidentally when I searched for Ypres it found the address but changed  Ypres to its Flemish equivalent , Leper.   I'm happy with that. )

I dont think it will affect me much .  It would have been nice to know Ypres was the correct one in West Flanders and not somewhere of the same name elsewhere.   But unlike my standalone garmin this sytem does show possible matches tagged on a quick reference map, which is better than having to  know the Ypres you want is the one in West Flanders, and not another Ypres  in ,lets say, East Flanders .. 

So .  Does it only happen to me?   Can it be changed by altering settings?         I have the latest 2022 map update,  and I know there are better sat nav alternatives.     

Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
Re: navigation addresses partly in Chinese
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2022, 02:08:38 PM »
Maybe your sat nav has a preference for Chinese restaurants and is trying to navigate you there?

By the way. Ypres in Flemish is Ieper, not Leper, but who knows... in Chinese maybe Leper?
If nothing goes right, go left!

Lord Voltermore

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2022, 10:15:37 AM »
Maybe your sat nav has a preference for Chinese restaurants and is trying to navigate you there?

By the way. Ypres in Flemish is Ieper, not Leper, but who knows... in Chinese maybe Leper?
Maybe if I change the house number I will get noodles instead of rice , or if I change restaurant preferences I might  get 'hamburger Strasse ' ;D

Sorry, the Ieper mistake was mine. The font  confused me and I changed I to an upper case L    :-[     
At least it seems the satnav ,and chinese map updaters, can  cope with bi lingual place names better than I can

I have been trying to figure it out.   Pinyin chinese imitates  sounds  , hence ( xi)  fo lan de  sounds like flanders    (at least in english)  .  Maybe when the town name and region/ department name are the same or similar  "Home to next life"  is  instructing the computer operator to use the same  name from the first 'home' field  again for that field (life)  ie, .   Calais, Calais,France   The operator might not have understood, or was too lazy to bother changing it.

But please folks. I still  dont know if its a known bug  or if there is something I need do.     I'd be grateful if someone could simply enter the town of Calais into their  'where to'  field to see if they also get  options  such as   "  Calais , jai lai xia sheng "   
« Last Edit: April 16, 2022, 10:32:13 AM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

R2D3

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar in Sunlight White
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2022, 11:08:28 AM »
Given that Honda is Japanese rather than Chinese wouldn't it make more sense (!) to be partly in Japanese?

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2022, 11:33:46 AM »
Given that Honda is Japanese rather than Chinese wouldn't it make more sense (!) to be partly in Japanese?

But Your nav is Garmin: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garmin  ;D

R2D3

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar in Sunlight White
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2022, 11:54:26 AM »

But Your nav is Garmin: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garmin  ;D

啊这样

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2022, 12:15:20 PM »
啊这样

Chinese translated into Japanese for you:  ああそう

In English: Oh is that so.

My answer: はい  (Yes).

Tags: