Author Topic: Noise: 2nd Gen vs 4th  (Read 1193 times)

Hmmm

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Base Gasoline Fit 2nd Generation
Noise: 2nd Gen vs 4th
« on: April 11, 2022, 04:03:28 PM »
Good day. I recently moved to Japan and bought a 2nd Gen Honda Fit. I live deep in the mountains where the roads are bad. Due to a noise Injury I avoid loud noises. I have found the 2nd Gen Fit to be a really fun car, but I can't drive it for long. My friend said if we change the tires and insulate the wheel wells it should fix my problem. However another issue I have is when I hit a bump it sends a strong vibration across my body hitting the nerve in my ear.

I was trying to see my other options and due to the street sizes and the size of my yard I need to keep the car small. I came to the conclusion that either a Prius 3(probably needs a bit of modification), a newer Mazda 2, or a FIT 4 may solve some of my problem.

Out of all of these I think the Prius 3 with some insulation would be the best, but it would be a bigger car.

There is also the Nissan Sentra, but that is a longer and unreliable car.

So I wanted to ask in terms of noise how is the FIT 4?
Due to the terrain here in the sticks I was thinking about a Crosstar model

Thanks

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
Re: Noise: 2nd Gen vs 4th
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2022, 04:51:12 PM »
I can’t speak for the Crosstar, but the Mk4 EX model is certainly quieter than the Mk2 or Mk3 Jazz
However I’ve been told that running on 15” wheels gives a smoother ride than 16” wheels although I have no personal experience of that. The EX model is of course on 16” wheels.
I would suggest only you can tell, maybe with a test drive?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2022, 05:03:47 PM »
I can’t speak for the Crosstar, but the Mk4 EX model is certainly quieter than the Mk2 or Mk3 Jazz
However I’ve been told that running on 15” wheels gives a smoother ride than 16” wheels although I have no personal experience of that. The EX model is of course on 16” wheels.
I would suggest only you can tell, maybe with a test drive?

15" wheels give a smoother and quieter ride, and happiness when it comes time to buy new tyres  :D   15" tyres roughly 50 to 60% of cost of 16" and a lot more choice...  I have read in many places that 15" improve MPG as well.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jazzdriver

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 63 mpg
  • My Honda: 2014 1.4 ES+ CVT and 2022 Crosstar replacing 2021 Crosstar written off
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2022, 05:45:03 PM »
My Crosstar is a lot quieter than my wife's Mk2 Jazz.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2022, 12:55:29 PM »
The engine noise is barely noticeable below 3000 rpm and I've done many trips without exceeding this threshold. If, however, driving conditions require either hard acceleration or involve going up steep hills then the engine has a go into it's higher revs range in order to provide the required power (actual behaviour depends on the state of the battery charge).

However, neither soundproofing or suspension in the Mk 4 Jazz / Crosstar are class-leading. Honda prioritise maximising usable space and minimising weight in the Jazz which has its origins as an urban vehicle. The new HR-V / Vetzel should be smoother and quieter but is also bigger which may make it unsuitable for you.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2022, 04:00:52 PM »
Noise levels depends on whether it will be a  Jazz/Fit hybrid. The mk 4 is also  available as a conventional petrol in Japan.  This could affect both engine  noise    and ride quality.   (Hybrid is heavier.)

Crosstar is about 45 cm longer.   Normally  15" wheels with 185/60/R15  gives a better ride than  16 " wheels with 185/55/R16  due to a higher tyre profile.   The Jazz has higher profile 185/60/R16  tyres. Not sure if this also  gives   the same improvement . 

Crosstar has slightly  more ground clearance, which can help when climbing in and out  .Styling a bit more adventurous looking.   Crosstar owners may disagree  but personally I dont think there will be many times this extra ground clearance would be needed   on normal roads, however rough and rural.  You will still thump into the same  potholes etc .  May help if you frequently use deeply rutted dirt roads/farm tracks.
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

shufty

• Approved Member
  • ...Riding High
  • My Honda: HR-V
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2022, 04:06:00 PM »
...My MK2 was noticeably louder in most depts and clunkier over rough surfaces.
Hard to quantify as I can only compare the MK2 at 11 years old and 145k and the MK4 as brand new.

My memory can't cope with recalling just how good the MK2 was on day one  :-\  ;D so the difference may not have been so marked.

Hmmm

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: Base Gasoline Fit 2nd Generation
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2022, 05:21:24 PM »
I appreciate the responses here. It has made me more interested in test driving one. I will say though that I dislike the new LCD instead of traditional clusters.

I do live in the mountains with terrible roads. Government seems to be fixing alot of them, but I still run into some rougher ones.

Length doesn't bother me as much as width unless it's obnoxiously long.

As for the engine noise it sounds like the mk Ii where it doesn't mean much unless you hit 3000rpm

The gas Fit Mk 4 does indeed have little to no deadening compared to the hybrid versions according to Japanese forums.

Thank you!

Tags: