Author Topic: On discovery of the VIN - Recall !  (Read 768 times)

Blue Sky

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2010 Honda Jazz EX
On discovery of the VIN - Recall !
« on: April 03, 2022, 01:08:05 AM »
Well that was interesting, having discovered the VIN, I thought what can I do with it, beyond decode it, to have this wonderful idea to plug it into the following to see what I should see if anything ;

https://www.honda.co.uk/cars/owners/recalls-and-updates.html

And lo and behold I discovered our 12 year old Jazz had an outstanding recall on it,  an airbag inflator issue. So off we popped to our local Honda dealer for them to book it in a rectify the issue on warranty, for us to be to be rather impressed with the service.

So, perhaps others should take advantage of that website to see if what Honda they're driving has an outstanding recall, for I'm sure a problem with an airbag inflator is a safety problem.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Re: On discovery of the VIN - Recall !
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2022, 04:33:58 AM »
One of the reasons I always have my cars serviced at franchised dealers.

The other reasons include the dedicated tools, knowledge, service bulletins and corrosion warranty.
Let's be careful out there !

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2022, 12:00:45 PM »
I had a similar issue with my Yaris, which I believe due to a particular brand of airbag , found on many japanese cars, that deteriorated over time.  But it took over two years from first being notified of an upcoming  recall  before  Toyota actually had the parts available  to finally call me in for the work to be carried out. :o  And I was on Holiday at the time. When I contacted them to make the appointment  they said "Oh we thought you werent coming so we used 'your'  part on another car."   I had to wait another year !    And worse still   when the bag was changed  I found it wasnt with some upgraded version that didnt have aging issues.   It was exactly the same part only of more recent production date  to extend its life expectancy before the issue presumably arises again. 

Unlike on a previous recall I didnt get a freebie valetting kit as compensation for my trouble.  One of the reasons I no longer have a Toyota. 
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2022, 12:13:22 PM »
The airbag recall for this generation dates back to at least 2019. The then registered keeper probably didn't get the recall notice or didn't act on it, or the car never passed through the Honda dealer network at the time.

Blue Sky

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2010 Honda Jazz EX
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2022, 03:53:29 PM »
One of the reasons I always have my cars serviced at franchised dealers.

The other reasons include the dedicated tools, knowledge, service bulletins and corrosion warranty.

And on that score  we were surprised to find they did give us a very competitive quote on the cost of a 72k mile service. Very nearly didn't ask them to quote  given the expectation that they would be the most expensive, but did so in part to create a quote ceiling.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2022, 04:00:03 PM »
I had my airbags swapped in 2017. The driver's one was the updated one but, due to limited supplies, the passenger one was just a brand new one of the variety that deteriorated with age. Early last year I got a shout to go in to have that one replaced but because of situations I never got round to it. I kept getting letters but I couldn't afford to be without the car even for an hour. A few weeks back I got another letter and I went in and got the passenger side replaced with the new variety of airbag.

Tags: