Author Topic: Engine coming on on startup on new SR.  (Read 6362 times)

Jazzyone

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz mk4 hybrid
Engine coming on on startup on new SR.
« on: March 29, 2022, 06:40:36 PM »
I’ve had my new SR a few days and I’m really enjoying it. Just a query about engine and startup. When I’ve switched on the last couple of days the engine comes on and I can hear it revving.  It goes off after a few yards along a the road.
It also came on again when I started up in the supermarket car park with engine still warm and despite having 8 bars on the battery indicator. Again went off when I’d got moving. I didn’t notice this over the weekend when it was slightly warmer outside so I’m putting it down the weather. I’ve not had AC on. Being new to eHEV I’m not sure if this is normal activity or not.
Has anyone noticed similar on their cars?
Thanks.

Derkie54

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 1.5i-MMD Jazz SR (Shining Grey)
Re: Engine coming on on startup on new SR.
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2022, 07:01:45 PM »
A bit like my SR, I've had it since last August.
Strangely it comes on when I think it won't and doesn't when I think it should sometimes.
First start in the morning it will always come on and then during the day depending on the temps and whether I have the Aircon on or not.
I wouldn't worry about it I don't  :)
It will be alright in the end, if it's not alright then it's not the end !

Eros

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Crosstar e:hev 2022 Premium Sunlight White
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2022, 07:44:02 PM »
When I test drove the Jazz Crosstar back in January, I had similar experience. Engine was running all the time even though the HV battery is full. It felt like it was a normal ICE car. But the weather was really cold, it was like -10 C. And Aircon and heated seats were both on.

sportse

• Approved Member
Engine coming on on startup on new SR.
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2022, 08:15:53 PM »
Sounds normal , I think the engine always starts to heat up the emissions system if needed.

After that, it’s for heating.

I don’t pay much attention to it now, with music playing you won’t notice if it’s on or off most of the time apart from the EV icon.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2022, 09:15:27 PM »
I think the car likes to get the engine to a minimum temperature so there's confidence that the engine will respond quickly when asked to run. Also, if the heater fan is on and the cabin not up to the target temperature then the engine will run to provide cabin heating. Enabling ECO mode widens the allowable difference between target and actual cabin temperature before the engine has to run. I usually start my journeys using only the heated seats and with the heater fan turned off to give the engine more opportunity to get warmed up.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

R2D3

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar in Sunlight White
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2022, 10:45:26 PM »
I've found the engine fires on startup only on those occasions when I'm showing someone how it moves off silently.  When I'm on my own it's always silent.  I think the Japanese probably have a word for it.  :)

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2022, 11:35:06 AM »
I think the Japanese probably have a word for it.  :)

sodsの法則

aphybrid

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 54.46
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Shiny Grey
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2022, 12:30:01 PM »
As cars and the complexity of the power unit increases I am now happy to just accept it does what it does and every time it works impeccably and reliably so my curiosity about how it does it has disappeared.
Have a happy Honda

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2022, 12:45:27 PM »
It's very rare that the engine doesn't fire up on first start on my Mk4 Jazz. Occasionally it will start up in EV mode but only when the engine is warm and I haven't been stopped for very long.

I think it's normal. On the plus side I have gone quite long distances in pure EV mode - a mile or so - then the engine kicks in to recharge the battery.

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2022, 09:57:51 AM »
I only use EV mode when backing out off the garage and drive then switch it off once I am moving forward on the road.  It is not an electric vehicle it is a hybrid, so staying in EV mode until the HV battery is drained forces the engine to start to recharge the battery.  It is best to drive in D or B and let the car decide when the conditions are right to use EV mode and when to charge the battery to maximise fuel efficiency.  I am sure the Honda engineers have spent a lot of time analysing all the variables and programmed the car to achieve the best balance of performance and economy.

shufty

• Approved Member
  • ...Riding High
  • My Honda: HR-V
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2022, 10:45:30 AM »
... You can't 'choose' to use EV every time to back out of the garage. It's going to be pot luck surely as to whether or not EV is activated.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2022, 11:28:12 AM »
That's one thing I've noticed, it always switches to EV when reversing
Let's be careful out there !

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2022, 11:32:51 AM »
That's one thing I've noticed, it always switches to EV when reversing
I dont think it has a reverse gear as such, so reverses by running the electric  motor backwards.
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2022, 11:34:08 AM »
... You can't 'choose' to use EV every time to back out of the garage. It's going to be pot luck surely as to whether or not EV is activated.

I totally agree, the engine always starts up in the garage, after an overnight stop and continues to run to warm up the system/heating etc, irrespective of the state of the battery.
There are times when returning home, where I can put the car IN the garage using EV only, but even that depends on where I have been and the state of the battery.

However, none of that really matters.
I would submit, what does matter is the overall consumption over many miles, which as of today, for me at 8810 miles is 65.8 Mpg

Karoq

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Was HR-V e:HEV. 7 Hondas owned in the past. Currently CR-V SR. 2022 E:HEV
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2022, 11:59:36 AM »
Now the weather is a bit warmer (8c) I have noticed that E works with only 3 bars charged. It certainly has a mind of it's own. I do wish it had an EV button to hold it in E.
Dip Mech Eng (automotive)

Tags:

anything