Author Topic: After catalytic converter replacement car is really loud when starting and accel  (Read 2385 times)

therandike

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 2008 CVT 61KW 83HP
My jazz is a 2008 CVT 1.3 HP83 Version.
Catalytic converter got stolen. So, I went to the local garage told them to out an aftermarket cat converter and exhaust section. Lambda sensor were also third party.
I drove home just this evening.  When I started car there was a loud noise. I thought it is odd but decided to drive and give it a go. After getting onto A road started to accelerate and it was loud. Not as loud as when the Cat converter was missing but still loud and it came from front end of the car.
Could this be right ?  is it because I put on a aftermarket converter? I see a lot of people opt in for aftermarket cats but do not complain. Could it be the garage did not fix it properly?

Also, they told me engine light will be on because lambda sensors are not OEM. Can this be right? Or is this garage is do not know what are they doing?

This is not my usual garage. Since the cat was stolen, I took the car to the closest garage.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Sounds to me like a leak at the manifold. As for light remaining on, that should not happen OEM sensor or aftermarket. In fact, it is an MOT fail. Sounds like you took your car to a bunch of cowboys.

therandike

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
I know.
It was the closest Garage I could get to at time. I am taking the car to a better garage tomorrow. Hopefully they can fit this issue.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2022, 11:46:45 PM by therandike »

Waue1978

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz GD1 CVT
Funnily enough, I had a conversation with a garage about Jazz exhausts a couple of days ago (my centre section is blowing) & they told me that it's apparently very common for the EML to come on if there's anything other than a genuine Honda catalytic converter fitted (although they did say it usually takes a few months for it to happen).
Didn't say anything about them being noisy though, so there may be something not quite fitted right.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
apparently very common for the EML to come on if there's anything other than a genuine Honda catalytic converter fitted
I think they are blowing smoke. I worked for a motor factor and we supplied dozens of cats for Hondas of all varieties and never had any issues (the garages were quick to get back to us if a customer complained).
My third party Catalytic converter has been on for five years, has passed five MOT tests and has now covered 50K+ miles.

culzean

• Approved Member
apparently very common for the EML to come on if there's anything other than a genuine Honda catalytic converter fitted
I think they are blowing smoke. I worked for a motor factor and we supplied dozens of cats for Hondas of all varieties and never had any issues (the garages were quick to get back to us if a customer complained).
My third party Catalytic converter has been on for five years, has passed five MOT tests and has now covered 50K+ miles.

Agree, an oxygen sensor should give output voltages in the right range,  it may not last as long as an OEM one, but it should still last a fairly long time, years not weeks....
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

therandike

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
So I dropped by honda Swindon. They pointed out mid exhuat section hits side of the car when accelerating. Or at different rev ranges due to vibration.

Also when I go over speed bump mid exhaust hit the the underneath of the car (heat shield)

Cat converter is working fine. Also no leaks. Just really loud vibration noises. Honda also got rid of the engine light warning.  They checked all for free which was nice of them.

I am going back to the garage to tell them to fix the mid section exhaust properly.

Before cat got stolen I already had a third party mid section exhaust that was just fine.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
So I dropped by honda Swindon.  They checked all for free which was nice of them.
That's my local Honda dealer whom I have found to be good, perhaps helped by me getting Honda service plans so there's no worrying about the cost of any servicing.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

E27006

• Approved Member
So I dropped by honda Swindon. They pointed out mid exhuat section hits side of the car when accelerating. Or at different rev ranges due to vibration.

Also when I go over speed bump mid exhaust hit the the underneath of the car (heat shield)

Cat converter is working fine. Also no leaks. Just really loud vibration noises. Honda also got rid of the engine light warning.  They checked all for free which was nice of them.

I am going back to the garage to tell them to fix the mid section exhaust properly.

Before cat got stolen I already had a third party mid section exhaust that was just fine.

Those 3rd party centre sections are a horror story,  firstly the diameter of the silencer is too large,  therefore does not fit in the space and will foul (knock against the bodywork under certain conditions), secondly,  they are poor in shape,  often as a result of being chucked around in storage or shipping and are distorted and need bending here and there by trial and error to make them fit.  My advice go to the Honda dealer, ask for a  discount and take the proper Honda part over the pattern part. that is my solution after faffing around with those pattern parts

therandike

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
I had to get extra exhaust hangers and get them to hold the mid section in and reduce vibration. It is much better now.

I had an aftermarket mid section already that was so much better. I think they can be hit and miss. And probably have high tolerances

E27006

• Approved Member
Honda OEM centre section of exhaust
The silencer chamber circumference measures 361 mm over the chamber surface, and 381 mm over the rolled end-seam.
Those 3rd party units do not conform to the Honda part, being over diameter.
If anyone has identified a 3rd party part which matches (or less than ) 361/381 mm please post the details of maker and supplier

therandike

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
My mid section exhaust was rusted so I had replaced that part with klarius 704 60 055.

I had no noises with it, fitted very well. And had no issues. Until my cat was stolen by cutting the mid exhaust.

Then whole exhaust was replaced which hits the side of the car body (mid section) and that makes a vibrations noise.

Also aftermarket lamda sensors keep throwing up engine lights as well.

I went into the nearest garage I could with out the cat, and they did a such a bad job. And cheap parts...

Tags:

anything