Author Topic: Noise from Engine, looking for more information ?  (Read 1087 times)

aj

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2013 iVTEC EX
Noise from Engine, looking for more information ?
« on: March 23, 2022, 08:11:12 PM »
Hi, i have recently purchased an old Jazz 2013 model. But after few days it has started giving strange noise after driving for few miles (video attached for the noise). Any suggestions on what can be the problem ? I have also reported this to dealer who has not come back to me on this yet but wondering what is the size of the problem ? (I am a new driver so don't know much).

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
Re: Noise from Engine, looking for more information ?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2022, 09:23:25 AM »
Sounds like: noisy tappets.
Check oil level. If it looks dirty, an oil and filter change using correct parts is recommended.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2022, 01:45:00 PM »
If you purchased your Jazz from a garage your able to put your concerns issues in writing asking them to put it right in week or you want a full refund. See which?or Citizens Advice buying used car legal protection. Let the forum know how you get on.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2022, 02:41:20 PM »
Tappets and piston slap normally worse when cold, before things have warmed up and expanded....  Worth trying an oil change though,  as that can often quieten things down...

Otherwise ...

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/the-car-i-bought-has-a-problem-what-are-my-rights-aAnMC5b0ZzJb

Make sure there is a paper trail between you and the dealer,  phoning is no good as not really traceable - email is a legal document,  so put everything in an email - otherwise send letters that need signing for by receiver...
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

aj

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2013 iVTEC EX
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2022, 05:00:36 PM »
Thanks all for the information and suggestions. I contacted the Dealer and he fixed the problem. He mentioned the oil was bit low but car is fine and no problems now.

Blue Sky

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2010 Honda Jazz EX
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2022, 04:17:49 PM »
Beyond anything else like dirty oil, mileage can be a good indication of  engine condition to note where in the servicing schedule attention  must be placed upon the valve clearances of which I do understand with the Jazz may be particularly neglected due to the hassle of getting at the things, for what is a simple job.

I have noticed of the Jazz it's is particularly horrible when it's cold but I do know my valve clearances are in need of adjustment, but then at 72k miles attending to valve clearances is the servicing schedule and they will be done within the next month.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2022, 09:15:00 AM »
Beyond anything else like dirty oil, mileage can be a good indication of  engine condition to note where in the servicing schedule attention  must be placed upon the valve clearances of which I do understand with the Jazz may be particularly neglected due to the hassle of getting at the things, for what is a simple job.

I have noticed of the Jazz it's is particularly horrible when it's cold but I do know my valve clearances are in need of adjustment, but then at 72k miles attending to valve clearances is the servicing schedule and they will be done within the next month.

Never touched the valve clearances on any Honda I have owned.  I have always thought that ' a slightly noisy tappet is a happy tappet',  the opposite is that if there is not enough clearance it can result in burned out valve seats because valve is not closing properly onto its seat,  as well as allowing gasses to escape and messing up the combustion the valves get cooled by contact with the seat.... My Civic did 190,000 miles without a spanner on the engine, my first Jazz ( 53 plate DSI ) never had a spanner on engine in 130,000 miles ( despite dire warnings about failure to check and adjust valves every 25,000 miles ).  My take is 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'  because very often messing with things that are working can result in things that no longer work...

The fuel injector solenoids can also make a clicking / tappety sound.....
« Last Edit: April 04, 2022, 09:23:11 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2022, 01:31:11 PM »
My Jazz has done 149K without the tappets ever being checked. Honda mechanic told me not to bother with tappets or fuel filter.

Blue Sky

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2010 Honda Jazz EX
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2022, 11:38:59 PM »

Never touched the valve clearances on any Honda I have owned.  I have always thought that ' a slightly noisy tappet is a happy tappet',  the opposite is that if there is not enough clearance it can result in burned out valve seats because valve is not closing properly onto its seat,  as well as allowing gasses to escape and messing up the combustion the valves get cooled by contact with the seat.... My Civic did 190,000 miles without a spanner on the engine, my first Jazz ( 53 plate DSI ) never had a spanner on engine in 130,000 miles ( despite dire warnings about failure to check and adjust valves every 25,000 miles ).  My take is 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'  because very often messing with things that are working can result in things that no longer work...

The fuel injector solenoids can also make a clicking / tappety sound.....

The reason we have now got a Jazz is because our last car, a low mileage  kindly treated Renault suffered an inlet valve failure. What failed in the assembly I have yet discern  and will discern for the sake of interest before I scrap it. But  what went wrong, well the only thing I can think of is the lack of attention I paid towards the valve clearances for the very same reason you describe and yes they were  noisy. So far in my casual diagnostics I've discovered fresh oil that now looks like it's been there years to be ponging most strongly of petrol in addition to diminished compression in one cylinder and even noisier tappets. Of course too much clearance can hammer damage into components.

I shan't be ignoring valve clearances in future.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2022, 11:56:01 PM by Blue Sky »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2022, 08:08:43 AM »
The reason we have now got a Jazz is because our last car, a low mileage  kindly treated Renault suffered an inlet valve failure. What failed in the assembly I have yet discern  and will discern for the sake of interest before I scrap it. But  what went wrong, well the only thing I can think of is the lack of attention I paid towards the valve clearances for the very same reason you describe and yes they were  noisy. So far in my casual diagnostics I've discovered fresh oil that now looks like it's been there years to be ponging most strongly of petrol in addition to diminished compression in one cylinder and even noisier tappets. Of course too much clearance can hammer damage into components.

I shan't be ignoring valve clearances in future.

Any camshaft built in last 30 years will have 'softening ramp' on it to soften the abrupt lift and closing,  and remember Jazz does not have sporty high-lift cam profile ' so would be very soft anyway.  I cannot see how petrol can get into oil due to valves ( all the valves do is allow stuff in and out of cylinders ),  it could be piston rings maybe - but then again I do not think anyone on this forum has had problems with piston rings ( the Honda company started off to make superior piston rings before they even thought of making their own engines and cars ).

The heads of modern valves are made from different material to the stems, and they are friction welded together,  sometimes it is the weld that fails....  Sometimes bits fail on French cars for no reason  :o
« Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 08:10:41 AM by culzean »

Tags:

anything