Author Topic: Some tips for dealing with potholes -( funding slashed for 2022/23)  (Read 778 times)

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
Heres a quote from Expatman on the mk4 forum

"Road surfaces are about to get worse! Rural local authorities have had there funding for pothole repairs slashed for 2022/23 while £5bn has been allocated to urban and cities, inevitably more cycle lanes and no-go for motorists roads while rural roads revert to farm tracks and pot-holed nightmares. "

I have driven a lot in Eastern europe where the potholes can be much worse - although things have improved there  considerably in recent years      . Here are a few tips I  learned the hard way

1) avoid going in one if you can , even if it means waiting and using the 'wrong'  side of the road. There is usually a reasonable path through them.

On a positive note, if potholes become more frequent, you are more likely to look out for them and  drive appropriately . Its the occasional unexpected one thats more likely to catch you out. 

2) If you must go into it do it  VERY  slowly  . Kinetic energy increases by the square of velocity.  If you  go through a pothole at 10 mph instead of 5 mph  the impact on tyre, and suspension is not, as you might expect twice as bad  . its 4 times as bad. :o

3) Never assume that a car with bigger wheels  or a quiet  luxurious ride is better able to absorb  pot holes. A landrover with big wheels and rugged build may be able to ride more easily over some small holes. But complacency may lead to ignoring them. Sooner or later the  extra speed and weight of the vehicle will result in  a destructive impact that will damage even rugged construction. And repair bills will be higher. And many 4x4's ,suv's  etc are little more than standard cars with a bit of extra ground clearance. No help with destructive potholes in Tarmac. 

4) avoid the sharp edges along the sides of some holes   that can slice into vulnerable tyre walls.  (inner walls as well as outer walls)  It can be better to enter  deliberately into the centre of the hole (slowly)  than to hope you have missed it and damage a side wall

5) Potholes are more likely in the shade of trees etc where its colder . Also they are not so easy to spot   due to dappled sun and shade.   Freezing weather makes them bigger and more frequent.

6) beware of water filled potholes.  they may be very deep.

7) beware of following vehicles too closely, especially buses and  trucks. These may hide an approaching pothole, which will arrive too suddenly for you to avoid.  The truck my miss it, you might not.  Been there ,done that (once ) .

8 )  carry a full sized spare if you can  and hope the same hole doesnt take out 2 tyres.

9) tell the council. I think some have pothole watch web sites where you can enter details. Whether they do anything is another matter.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 04:19:15 PM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
Re: Some tips for dealing with potholes -( funding slashed for 2022/23)
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2022, 05:21:07 PM »
When I cycled to work, riding in the dark on unlit main roads, potholes were a problem. The headlight glare, (quite often undipped for a cyclist) from vehicles coming the other way made it impossible to see the road surface. One night I rode into a nasty pothole and my back wheel collapsed. It was lucky that I didn't fall out into the traffic that was tearing past me.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 11:02:17 PM by Neil Ives »
Neil Ives

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
Re: Some tips for dealing with potholes -( funding slashed for 2022/23)
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2022, 06:21:24 PM »
9) tell the council. I think some have pothole watch web sites where you can enter details. Whether they do anything is another matter.
https://www.fixmystreet.com/ is one website for reporting the potholes. Many local authorities have their own reporting system but fixmystreet puts the report into the public domain.

Plus shouldn't the final step, if you incur any damage, be to claim from the local authority?
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Tags: