Author Topic: Gove's Levelling-up Plan  (Read 1124 times)

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
Gove's Levelling-up Plan
« on: February 03, 2022, 04:29:48 PM »

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Gove's Levelling-up Plan
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2022, 05:48:07 PM »
Same as B Liars dodgy dossier then, only that led to a lot of bloodshed and death..
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

aphybrid

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 54.46
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Shiny Grey
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2022, 07:08:20 AM »
Simple solution to levelling up - make everyone's income same as in heavily subsidised London!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 07:13:09 AM by aphybrid »

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2022, 07:19:32 AM »
Simple solution to levelling up - make everyone's income same as in heavily subsidised London!
My Son is CTO of a company and they are finding that since the working from home culture came in, they can not recruit country wide without offering London salary rates.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2022, 09:53:04 AM »
I'm not really up to speed  on the full implications of levelling up.

Of course the north and other deprived areas should get more investment and opportunities.    But its not entirely a win win.

Living in the south east without the benefits of a 'London weighting'   I used to resent  the fact that my colleagues in the north were on the same salary as me, yet Houses were half the price  , local tradesmen were cheaper,commercial premises were cheaper,so prices were often  lower  ,  etc etc. 
They lived in luxury while I struggled.   Same for  those who lived on nationally fixed benefits  - it went further up north.

Nice as it is to have more high wage jobs available,you've got to have one of those jobs. And pay tax to support those who dont.  Cos prices are going to rise.   

Its come full circle for me  . I could now sell my house and buy something similar  elsewhere for half the price  , pricing the locals out.    And invest the balance in an off shore tax haven. And of course those in deprived areas resent that.

Something needs to be done but do those in power and their advisors  really  "get it and will fix it " 
Rant over.
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

aphybrid

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 54.46
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Shiny Grey
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2022, 10:10:43 AM »
I'm not really up to speed  on the full implications of levelling up.

Of course the north and other deprived areas should get more investment and opportunities.    But its not entirely a win win.

Living in the south east without the benefits of a 'London weighting'   I used to resent  the fact that my colleagues in the north were on the same salary as me, yet Houses were half the price  , local tradesmen were cheaper,commercial premises were cheaper,so prices were often  lower  ,  etc etc. 
They lived in luxury while I struggled.   Same for  those who lived on nationally fixed benefits  - it went further up north.

Nice as it is to have more high wage jobs available,you've got to have one of those jobs. And pay tax to support those who dont.  Cos prices are going to rise.   

Its come full circle for me  . I could now sell my house and buy something similar  elsewhere for half the price  , pricing the locals out.    And invest the balance in an off shore tax haven. And of course those in deprived areas resent that.

Something needs to be done but do those in power and their advisors  really  "get it and will fix it " 
Rant over.

Basically having a country that is capital centric and massively subsidised by the rest of the country (in the way of visible infrastructure projects and direct but hidden monies given) leads to all the financial penalties suffered in it's surrounds and the rest of the country. Also not just finances - policies are mainly big city centric and have no  reality for countryside living.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2022, 01:58:02 PM »
I've taken a simplistic view.  As a southerner I see it less as the north subsidizing the city, as the south and city not sharing more with the North. Same thing I suppose.  But the south has for many years been more attractive to business investment,which often requires  incentives to go elsewhere. If local workers are no longer willing to accept lower wages, premises are no longer cheaper etc,it requires tax payer funded incentives for them to relocate somewhere they might not otherwise chose. 

Also  the city generates  lot of wealth, much of it dirty money.Greedy snouts at the trough, sharing with no one, not even us southerners, and certainly not paying their fair share of tax into the common fund.
 Yes this needs changing.
A government more willing to tax the billionaires and a policy not so much 'get on your bike' as ' Here is a grant to help you manufacture the best bikes in the world '.  Yeah right.Good luck with that.

Countryside living  with local investment and  jobs can be problematic.  If a 'silicon valley' type enterprise suitable for a rural location is the only major employer of skilled workers for miles , it can be devastating if it goes bust. As many will.  Worse in some ways than a large town losing its coal mines, steel mills etc.  And a different attitude to countryside living, with improvements not directly related to new local enterprises is a big ask.
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Tags:

anything