Author Topic: ACC question  (Read 5503 times)

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
ACC question
« on: January 28, 2022, 10:46:01 PM »
I use Adaptive Cruise Control quite a bit. Under normal use, the system maintains my preferred distance between me and the vehicle I'm following. It seems to me that if a car passes me and pulls in to my lane and it is matching or going faster than me, the ACC system does not force a slow down of my vehicle to achieve the gapping that I have set. So, the result is I can find myself uncomfortably close to the car in front and have to click the ACC speed down a bit until I see a safe distance, then I can click back to my previously set maximum speed.
Has anyone else had this happen?

My feeling is that the system prioritises vehicle speed in the gapping calculations. Given an unsafe gapping but safe, (ie. we are not closing on the vehicle in front) vehicle speed it does not make fresh calculations.
Neil Ives

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
Re: ACC question
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2022, 11:40:35 PM »
I think in such conditions it gradually eases off the speed to increase the gap. However it does take a few seconds for it to clock the new vehicle's distance.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2022, 12:25:06 AM »
My experience is that if a car passes me and pulls in to my lane and is going faster than me, ACC does not force a slow down.
However, when a car pulls in to my lane and than slows down so much that his speed equals mine or is slightly slower than me, ACC (gradually) lets the gap grow to my settings.
If nothing goes right, go left!

Mike Quinn

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz SR
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2022, 09:11:13 AM »
I use Adaptive Cruise Control quite a bit. Under normal use, the system maintains my preferred distance between me and the vehicle I'm following. It seems to me that if a car passes me and pulls in to my lane and it is matching or going faster than me, the ACC system does not force a slow down of my vehicle to achieve the gapping that I have set. So, the result is I can find myself uncomfortably close to the car in front and have to click the ACC speed down a bit until I see a safe distance, then I can click back to my previously set maximum speed.
Has anyone else had this happen?

My feeling is that the system prioritises vehicle speed in the gapping calculations. Given an unsafe gapping but safe, (ie. we are not closing on the vehicle in front) vehicle speed it does not make fresh calculations.

This is interesting, I find this as well. Eventually it will reduce speed until it gets to the appropriate gap but it takes far too long and to keep safe I end up reducing speed manually. This is a shame as I really like acc but it needs to work better.

Could a software update fix this?  Should we be contacting Honda to highlight this issue?

Neil Ives

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2022, 09:30:04 AM »
I have hopes that Honda keep an eye on forum chatter however, the ratio of complaints to cost-of-fixing-a-problem will limit what is done.
Neil Ives

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2022, 10:26:48 AM »
I confess I haven't used mine yet. I've had ordinary cruise control on my cars since the early 2000s but have been a light user largely because I don't do much motoring where it's appropriate. For me the main advantage is, on a long journey, to give the old right leg a rest.

From comments made on this forum I genuinely wonder if the Honda system is any good. I have an acquaintance with the new Nissan Leaf and he finds it very relaxing to use and hasn't reported any of the issues highlighted on this forum.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2022, 10:31:19 AM »
My issues have probably been because I've been trying to use it where it's not appropriate, like heavy(ish) motorway traffic.

My main reason was to use it in average speed zones to ensure I stayed at or below the limit without having to constantly watch the speedo.

On a quiet road, following another vehicle, or an empty road it's probably ideal.

For me ACC isn't the old CC that I was used to.
Let's be careful out there !

Neil Ives

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2022, 10:50:02 AM »
Now I've got used to ACC, I often use it.
Neil Ives

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2022, 11:29:20 AM »
Whenever I enter the motorway, I always turn on ACC and LKAS. Standard procedure, works fine for me!
When it gets very busy and fellow road users think they can get along better by zigzagging from lane to lane, I take control myself and turn off ACC and sometimes LKAS as well.
If nothing goes right, go left!

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2022, 12:20:38 PM »
ACC is fine in light traffic or on an empty road - I use mine almost every time I drive.

I just disable it when the traffic gets busy or I’m approaching a situation it won’t know how to handle.

I don’t use LKAS ever, but think I’ve worked out what the problem is for me.

I hold the steering wheel lightly so I can feel what the wheels are doing, but unless I grip the wheel really tightly and hold it in position with force it weaves the car from side to side dangerously.

Perhaps the software is wiggling the wheel to check for resistance and make sure someone is holding it?  At high speed it weaves the car badly though. A hard grip and the weaving isn’t bad.

Neil Ives

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2022, 01:45:11 PM »
... I don’t use LKAS ever, but think I’ve worked out what the problem is for me.

I hold the steering wheel lightly so I can feel what the wheels are doing, but unless I grip the wheel really tightly and hold it in position with force it weaves the car from side to side dangerously.

Perhaps the software is wiggling the wheel to check for resistance and make sure someone is holding it?  At high speed it weaves the car badly though. A hard grip and the weaving isn’t bad.
I just don't recognise that description. I also hold the wheel lightly. What model year is your car?

Checking I see you have a 21 model, where mine is 22. I wonder if the software was tweaked.
Neil Ives

shufty

• Approved Member
  • ...Riding High
  • My Honda: HR-V
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2022, 02:14:18 PM »
...I also don't recognise that description!

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2022, 02:35:23 PM »
Mine is a 21 EX on 16" wheels.

If I engage LKAS I can actually see the steering wheel moving from side to side when held lightly.

At 70mph on my car it's pretty dangerous as it swerves from side to side and you can feel that it is unstable. Like a learner that has never driven at speed before, overcorrecting one way then another.

Checked out by the supplying dealer as supposedly being ok after I took it back shortly after purchase.

However, I only recently discovered grabbing the steering wheel tightly with some force calms down the side to side swerving.

Neil Ives

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2022, 05:20:01 PM »

If I engage LKAS I can actually see the steering wheel moving from side to side when held lightly.

At 70mph on my car it's pretty dangerous as it swerves from side to side and you can feel that it is unstable. Like a learner that has never driven at speed before, overcorrecting one way then another.

Nosiree! I would not like that.  :o
Neil Ives

marcus.t

• Registered Member
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2022, 02:51:38 AM »

Checked out by the supplying dealer as supposedly being ok after I took it back shortly after purchase.

However, I only recently discovered grabbing the steering wheel tightly with some force calms down the side to side swerving.
That doesn’t seem to be normal.  I can use both acc and LKAS at 120km/h.

從我的iPhone使用Tapatalk 發送

Tags: