Author Topic: Delay in sat nav position on apps  (Read 4732 times)

sportse

• Approved Member
Delay in sat nav position on apps
« on: December 18, 2021, 01:03:20 PM »
I have a suspicion this is caused by poor GPS signal combined with how certain apps are able to compensate.

Some people have found Google maps didn’t have a position problem, but other apps did.

For the last couple of weeks I’ve had to put my phone back on the tray while I waited for a part.

The gps position TomTom has mainly been behind the actual car, but sometimes catching up.

My new holder for my dash mount has arrived, so I’ll be able to confirm if this is the case and the position is back to being correct.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2021, 01:04:54 PM by sportse »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Delay in sat nav position on apps
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2021, 08:43:42 PM »
I find TomTom Go very good. About 10 yards behind for speed limits but I am happy with that.

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2021, 04:06:47 PM »
Seem to be confirmed as signal related - with a clear sky the position is absolutely spot on, but in conditions where the signal might be reduced it’s behind the actual position.

Google seems to be able to better access/compensate for the gps signal as they’re usually more accurate.

guest9814

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2022, 06:23:41 PM »
Hi sportse
Have same issue with gps position with iphone, i tried to put phone in driver side cup holder (usualy my phone sit on charging pad near gear selector)
But this not helped, now when i checked in-door (there i have good gps sattelites reception) i can see that iphone prioretise for getting gps location using wifi and celular data (cells triangulation) when they switched on.
When i opening Here map with offline maps and wifi or celular data enabled the gps app getting my location instantly but that location incorrect and different from my location by 100m, and not fixed after app run several minutes, but when i switching wifi and celular data off and opening same Here maps i see  circle arround location doth, then app quickly getting pinpoint location (+-5m)
Now scratching head and think how can i get pinpoint gps location when i use wireles Car Play and need cellular data enabled if i want to play music from spotify   ::)

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
Delay in sat nav position on apps
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2022, 06:52:31 PM »
I always use wired CarPlay as it’s much faster for changing apps/music.

Recently with my phone mounted on the dash the position has been spot on.

I tried wireless CarPlay but there was a delay in accessing Siri as well.

Apparently you get a higher audio quality for music if you use wired too.

guest9814

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2022, 08:13:42 PM »
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250076351?page=6

If that true either use USB connection to get GPS from iphone or turn car GPS off (i not using Honda+ anyway)

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2022, 05:09:24 AM »
The advice is always to have a GPS device in a location that can see the sky.

Designing a tray semi under the dash ! ?

Mine is down by the brake hold button and is fine.
Let's be careful out there !

guest9814

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2022, 07:09:35 PM »
The advice is always to have a GPS device in a location that can see the sky.

Designing a tray semi under the dash ! ?

Mine is down by the brake hold button and is fine.
Interesting that fact that Android Auto wireless works fine when phone sit under dashboard on charge pad, maybe infotainment struggles to give gps data to iPhone ?
Our car have GPS antenna, I almost 100% sure it’s used for Android Auto to, not only for tracking car or Garmin installed in infotainment.

guest9814

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2022, 09:10:10 AM »
That’s weird, Google map uses iPhone 13 compass when connected to  wireless car play (should use only car gps if I understand correctly ), map on infotainment changing point of view when i changing iPhone position 😂
All app for navigation  getting weird gps data with 200m offset  when iPhone connected to Car Play, somewhere i read that old iPhones not having that problem.

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2022, 09:21:00 AM »
It's an intermittent issue with my iPhone 13 - sometimes the GPS position is absolutely spot on, whereas other times it's several hundred meters out.

My phone is mounted on a dash vent mount so has the best position for GPS signal reception, plus I only use wired CarPlay for connection.

guest9814

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2022, 11:56:44 AM »
It's an intermittent issue with my iPhone 13 - sometimes the GPS position is absolutely spot on, whereas other times it's several hundred meters out.

My phone is mounted on a dash vent mount so has the best position for GPS signal reception, plus I only use wired CarPlay for connection.
CarPlay should use car gps and our car have GPS hardware regardless of used infotainment (with Honda navi or without it) and usually car gps get pin point location ~4-5m if there no too much buildings around , but there mess because both iPhone and infotainment gps used, and when iPhone connected to CarPlay gps reception becomes weak, probably because old CarPlay version of the infotainment, if you have access to iPhone SE try connect it to infotainment no matter wireless or wired.

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2022, 12:03:32 PM »
The built in sat nav had a position delay on the one time I've tried it but that may have been signal related as it was in a town with buildings.

The infotainment / software definitely has serious issues - I wonder why Honda hasn't updated everyone to the latest version of the software or even just to newer versions?

The car is supposed to be capable of receiving over the air software updates, but people on here are all running different versions of the infotainment unit software.

My new infotainment unit is running the very old software version that came with the car, so well out of date. But still experiencing problems with connection/position/start up delays.

guest9814

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2022, 08:23:08 PM »
Interesting, today I removed from car all my electronic crap (12v voltmeter socket splitter with additional usb charger and charging qi pad, damn apple  maps worked perfectly with wireless CarPlay , once in 2015 I had fm transmitter for smartphone (that time I had Yaris with tape/fm from Toyota , needed to drive to place I not know good, set navigation on smartphone connected it through fm transmitter to fm radio and in middle of nowhere smartphone lost gps signal, I spent half hour to try fix this, and after awhile just powered off that damn fm transmitter, in that moment Google says that gps signal back, connected fm transmitter and lost gps second time  ;)
Sometimes we making issues when connecting aftermarket things in car, that fm transmitter transmitted not only on his frequency 88-108 mhz  but also on harmonics , that can happen with just any other cheap Chinese electronics, 
Once when I assembled my firs workstation from scrap I found PC ATX PSU  that silenced fm radio in laboratory.

sportse

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2022, 08:33:30 PM »
I have nothing in my car plugged in apart from a cable to connect the phone - I've tried several cables but there is no difference unfortunately for me.

dfconnolly

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz e-HEV EX and 2019 CRV e-HEV SR
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2022, 11:27:26 PM »
Apparently, there is a new version of Apple Car Play coming out that will have the capability to link into some of the cars vehicle settings and software……..now won’t that be fun!??
From the advert "Who knows where you’ll go?"

Tags:

anything