Author Topic: Tyre pump/inflator  (Read 2602 times)

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
Tyre pump/inflator
« on: December 16, 2021, 03:04:53 PM »
Can't find the recent thread where members were recommending their cordless tyre inflators. Thought I might get one as twice in the last three years I have used a garage pump which has refused to disconnect from the valve and wrecked it in the process. Being tyre pressure monitoring valves, this can get quite expensive!

So, recommend your tyre inflation devices please. I have a shabby little cigarette lighter jobby that cost maybe a fiver many many years a go and I have a single barrelled foot pump which was a present from my brothers when I had my mini van back in the early '80s. So I would prefer something modern, cordless, swift and, preferably, with a screw on attachment to save my valves.

Thanks in anticipation.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2021, 03:29:24 PM by richardfrost »

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Re: Tyre pump/inflator
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2021, 03:19:42 PM »
Let's be careful out there !

richardfrost

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2021, 03:41:08 PM »
Thanks but that one is out of stock now.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2021, 03:59:43 PM »
Yes, it keeps coming in then selling out fairly quickly.

Hugh R

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX Grey
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2021, 04:46:52 PM »
I've just bought a RING cordless inflator which looks very much like the one you mention.  But if anyone has a RING please post instructions as the pamphlet is very vague.  It likes to keep flashing and turning off too soon, so it doesn't even start sometimes.  Maybe it's faulty but really difficult to know.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2021, 06:16:14 PM »
Go to your local breakers yard find a Honda check the boot , get a deal.

Johncb500

• Approved Member
  • Honda owner since 1971,on 2 and 4 wheels
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz EX 2012-CB500/4 1974
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2021, 09:48:45 PM »
Aldi do a reasonable tyre inflator,

Search the website

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2021, 04:23:24 AM »
I bought the Manwe one because it's wire free, rechargeable, and has a quick release adapter.

So far it's still going strong.

Most others seem to have the screw on adapter that I've had previous issues with.

There are also plenty of wired ones available but it's a pain having to plug/unplug the power cord, door or window open,for each side of the car.

aphybrid

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 54.46
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Shiny Grey
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2021, 07:42:58 AM »
Had a few tyre inflators but find the critical bit is the "air chuck" at the end in terms of ease of attachment to the valve.

The 'normal' supplied on most pumps tends to stick on threads and pressure is lost quite often.
The screw type can also suffer this if not unscrewed quickly.

I have found this type of end to be a better option - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dapetz%C2%AE-Chuck-Brass-Inflator-Connector/dp/B0857JBP4V/ref=sr_1_10?keywords=tyre+inflator+valve+end&qid=1639726384&sr=8-10. Not this exact one but of this type. Clips on but very easy to remove with no air loss.

The best type I have on a pump is like this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/PCL-Line-Tyre-Inflator-Connector/dp/B09M48H8YL/ref=sr_1_9?keywords=tyre+inflator+valve+end&qid=1639726465&sr=8-9. just push on and hold

Both of these options have a difficulty with getting a suitable connections to the very small rubber hoses fitted to small pumps for carrying in cars. Usually ends up with tight to fit and after a while split hose. Still trying to find decent 'crossover' connections for longer term.

I also have a gauge - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000VZ8S26/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1 which I verify pressure with so that a bit of overpressure can be released and read accurately.

Bit fussy I know but tyresare our connection with road and deserve to be looked after.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2021, 08:36:36 AM »
Yes, you do have to be quick with the 'quick release' ones, but I'm now confident with them.

Take them off 'square' and they just pop off in under a second.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2021, 09:32:47 AM »
Kremmen: How do you switch the torch on with the Manwe? I have misplaced my instruction and I cannot remember how to use the torch.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2021, 09:49:57 AM »
I've just bought a RING cordless inflator which looks very much like the one you mention.  But if anyone has a RING please post instructions as the pamphlet is very vague.  It likes to keep flashing and turning off too soon, so it doesn't even start sometimes.  Maybe it's faulty but really difficult to know.
I’ve just bought one of the Ring devices, but until I saw Hugh’s post I hadn’t actually tried it. Have now done so, and it worked exactly as expected. Connect the hose, long-push the on/off button until the display settles, set the desired pressure, push the on/off button again, and wait. Pressure afterwards agrees with my RaceX gauge. I didn’t have any problems losing pressure when unscrewing the connector, so concerns about that are Ill-founded. If I had to be picky:
1. Battery was completely dead when it arrived, it wouldn’t even turn on and required several hours of charging before I got the steady green indication.
2. Battery had dropped from green to amber after checking all four tyres.
3. I wonder how well it’ll retain charge sitting in a cold boot? Only time will tell.
4. Quite noisy when pumping, but I guess they all are.
5. Instructions for the memory function are a bit opaque and I can’t quite figure that out. But that’s no great loss.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2021, 10:11:29 AM »
Kremmen: How do you switch the torch on with the Manwe? I have misplaced my instruction and I cannot remember how to use the torch.

I replied to your previous request, you must have missed it.

Press the "U-Turn" button for 3 seconds.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2021, 10:14:46 AM »

I didn’t have any problems losing pressure when unscrewing the connector, so concerns about that are Ill-founded.

TBH I've had a screw on one before and as you say, no problem. It broke and the replacement I got was losing air as soon as I started to unscrew, as did the different make replacement one I got. Maybe it was the valves and the Jazz ones are OK.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2021, 03:48:02 PM »
I have replaced valve connectors on compressor hoses before now, usually using PCL lever type or the Euro straight lever type which I prefer to screw on ones. I've had them from an ebay supplier (somersetcommercials if I remember right). They are usually available with spigots to suit different hose internal diameters.
http://www.ebaystores.co.uk/Tyre-Consumables/Tyre-Valve-Connectors-/_i.html?_fsub=18019894011&_sid=165908391&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322/str/Tyre-Consumables/Tyre-Valve-Connectors-/_i.html?_fsub=18019894011&_sid=165908391&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322
« Last Edit: December 17, 2021, 03:49:59 PM by embee »

Tags: