Author Topic: Starter Motor?  (Read 3028 times)

guest284

Starter Motor?
« on: June 20, 2010, 08:11:33 PM »
When I try to start my 05 Jazz there is a rapid clicking sound and nothing happens.  Is this a jammed starter motor and if so, where is it as I couldn't see it?

Geoffers

• Topic Starter
Re: Starter Motor?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 08:52:36 PM »
How old is the battery?

guest284

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 09:37:21 PM »
It's the original battery - I think - which means it's 5 years old but the lights come on OK

Can't find the starter motor to give it a bash!

Geoffers

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 10:06:36 PM »
You maybe ought to get your battery tested. It's 5 years old and may not be giving enough power for the starter motor!
Culzean will be along. He'll give you more info!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 10:44:42 AM »
It sounds like your battery, take the cell covers off the battery and look into the cells to see that electrolyte is covering the top of the plates if not, top it up with distilled water.

Geoffers is right, at 5 years old your battery is living on borrowed time, check terminal voltage about an hour after charging and if it is less that 12.5 volts that is a danger sign.  While battery is charging look into cell filler holes, any cell which is not bubbling hydrogen gas has probably gone short circuit and is no longer storing power.

Try starting the engine with the headlights on, if the lights go very dim or out altogether your battery is definitely stuffed or terminal connections are dodgy.

Check the terminal connections, especially the positive for corrosion. A quick way to check connections is to put the palm of your hand on each terminal immediately after you have tried to start the engine, if it is hot the connection needs looking at.

Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest284

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 03:00:08 PM »
You were right guys, it was the battery.  We had tried starting it with jump leads but they weren't powerful enough so had to get professional help.  Anyway it's all sorted now.

Thanks again.

Lolly

Tags:

anything