Author Topic: Coolant/Antifreeze  (Read 1011 times)

coffeecup

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4 i vtec i-shift
Coolant/Antifreeze
« on: November 30, 2021, 11:46:46 AM »
Hi

I have a 2010 1.5 i-shift, coolant has NEVER been changed, what should i use if I drain and put completely new stuff in??

Thanks Mike

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
Re: Coolant/Antifreeze
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2021, 12:22:01 PM »
Before putting new stuff you should flush the system with water, and even let it run to operating temperature with water. Then drain off the water and put in genuine Honda Type 2 premixed coolant/antifreeze.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2021, 12:35:26 PM »
You might consider going for the Honda coolant from https://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/honda-shop/genuine-honda-type-2-coolant-5-litre-pre-mixed/
You can get cheaper but if it's once every 10yrs .............

It needs to be silicate free (note Honda mention this). In various other engines I have I use Comma G30, which is silicate free and based on the BASF Glysantin30 coolant (the BASF approval letter here includes suitability for Honda among others)
https://www.commaoil.com/passenger-vehicles/products/view/351
The Comma description and even the tech data sheet do not specifically mention silicate free but other site descriptions do, e.g. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Comma-Xstream-Antifreeze-Coolant-Concentrated/dp/B074QQZ9Z4

There are plenty of other suitable coolants readily available, e.g. Halfords own brand OAT silicate free, I don't know who makes it for them, it could even be the Comma since they also stock that.

Edit - further to TnTkr's post, I agree that after 10yrs it would be well worth flushing though with clean tap water first. It's not generally advised to use tap water to make up coolant (50/50 mix with concentrate) but as a full flush it's fine. It's only if your tap water is dreadfully hard that any deposits might be left during a flush.
For a refill, use either pre-mixed (ready to use) or get some de-ionised water to mix with concentrate, again Halfords or Eurocarparts etc for de-ionised water, 5L is usually just a few ££.
Don't leave the car with plain water in it for any time at all, the coolant is a corrosion inhibitor and is necessary.

(edit - corrected the link to Comma)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 04:48:42 PM by embee »

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2021, 03:09:26 PM »
I fully agree with embee! BASF Glysantin is best stuff you can get as non-proprietary or universal use coolant! There is even a big Scandinavian truck and engine manufacturer with orange engines, which is not approving any other coolant, their own proprietary coolant is rebranded Glysantin.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 03:11:20 PM by TnTkr »

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2021, 06:27:06 PM »
Cox have an offer om Honda 5 liter premix anti freeze.

Using all discounts , delivered under £24.
Due here tomorrow.

Tags:

anything